Kinzie

Default German Whitewater?

I'm going to be in Germany (Kleve) on business 13 April - 30 April and
was wondering what paddling opportunities there were in western
Germany. I'm a fairly solid boater (solid roll, paddle class II,III,
some class IV) although I'm a little rusty due to a lot of travel this
spring... Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Ed
Wilko

Kinzie wrote:

I'm going to be in Germany (Kleve) on business 13 April - 30 April and
was wondering what paddling opportunities there were in western
Germany. I'm a fairly solid boater (solid roll, paddle class II,III,
some class IV) although I'm a little rusty due to a lot of travel this
spring... Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Around Kleve there is basically no whitewater (I live roughly 100 km
away from Kleve). If you want to paddle anything natural, that means
travelling to the German Eifel region, roughly 250 km (~150 miles) south
of Kleve. If you're very lucky, the upper Rur (about class II and III
with minimum water levels) has enough water, that's only 150 to 200 km
from Kleve (rough guess). (close to the Dutch/Belgian/German border area)

If you only want to playboat, there are a couple of options:

-Erft river, near Neuss (close to Dusseldorf) in Germany.
-Batavieren power playspot (on the river Waal, close to the Dutch city
of Nijmegen), very dependent upon water release from the power plant and
the water level of the Waal)
-North sea surf: Anywhwere along the Dutch coast, but preferably at Ter
Heijde, just south of Den Haag. Check the wave heights and make sure to
have at least 1.5 metres and be there an hour or so before high tide.

HTH...

Wilko van den Bergh wilko(a@t dse d.o.t)nl
Eindhoven The Netherlands Europe
Look at the possibilities, don't worry about the limitations.
http://wilko.webzone.ru/