Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Conservative Cain Sludes Back into the Primordial Abyss

POLITICO has learned that one of the women who accused Herman Cain of
sexual harassment at the National Restaurant Association in the 1990s
received a payout of about $45,000 as part of her settlement
significantly more than the two or three months salary Cain initially
recalled the woman obtained.

The woman who received the approximately $45,000 is the staffer who Cain
has acknowledged formally lodged a complaint about his behavior.

Cain described her in a Fox News interview as a writer in the
communications department.

The compensation the woman received as part of her departure package was
far more than that what a midlevel trade association employee in the
late 1990s would have made over a two-to-three month period.

It was also more than the payout a second association employee received
after complaining about Cains behavior. According to The New York
Times, the second woman received $35,000 a years pay.

Cains changing stories about whether settlements existed, and their
amounts, have muddled his explanations. He has not acknowledged that
there is more than one settlement.

On Monday morning, Cain told Fox News, If the restaurant [association]
did a settlement, I was unaware of it.

Speaking midday Monday at The National Press Club, Cain continued to
plead ignorance: As far as a settlement, I am unaware of any kind of
settlement. I hope it wasnt for much, because I didnt do anything. But
the fact of the matter is, Im not aware of a settlement that came out
of that accusation.

Then, in a Fox interview taped Monday afternoon, Cain conceded that
there was a settlement.

It might have been two months [salary]. I dont remember the exact
number, but I do remember my general counsel saying, The good news is,
we didnt pay all of this money that was being demanded, the former
association CEO told Greta Van Susteren, claiming the womans charges
were baseless.

At another point in the interview, Cain said of the payout: Maybe three
months salary or something like that, just vaguely trying to recall it.

But on Tuesday morning, he shifted his answer again, suggesting that the
terms of the payout could have been larger.

On CNNs Headline News, he said: The one I remember and am aware of and
was a financial settlement and it was somewhere in the vicinity of three
to six months severance pay, something of that nature.

Read mo
http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1cfh9K19x