Default Hallelujah

I got me a 5500 watt generator, a NEMA L14-30, and I just found a roll
of 12/2 in the basement cause there isn't one of those items available
for a hundred miles in any direction here. Yep, the wire is gone at
well, everywhere... Yes, even the contractors supply But I got 250 feet!

Anyway, wish me luck.. Later...

On 11/2/2011 4:35 PM, JustWait wrote:

I got me a 5500 watt generator, a NEMA L14-30, and I just found a roll
of 12/2 in the basement cause there isn't one of those items available
for a hundred miles in any direction here. Yep, the wire is gone at
well, everywhere... Yes, even the contractors supply But I got 250 feet!

Anyway, wish me luck.. Later...

Luck!
12-2 is good for a 20A circuit. It'll do if the run isn't too long.
--
1-20-13 The end of an error
stp stp is offline

On Nov 2, 4:35*pm, JustWait wrote:
I got me a 5500 watt generator, a NEMA L14-30, and I just found a roll
of 12/2 in the basement cause there isn't one of those items available
for a hundred miles in any direction here. Yep, the wire is gone at
well, everywhere... Yes, even the contractors supply But I got 250 feet!

Anyway, wish me luck.. Later...

Good Luck! Of course your electric service will be restored five
minutes after you get it all hooked up. DAMHIKT

On 11/2/2011 5:26 PM, Drifter wrote:
On 11/2/2011 4:35 PM, JustWait wrote:

I got me a 5500 watt generator, a NEMA L14-30, and I just found a roll
of 12/2 in the basement cause there isn't one of those items available
for a hundred miles in any direction here. Yep, the wire is gone at
well, everywhere... Yes, even the contractors supply But I got 250
feet!

Anyway, wish me luck.. Later...

Luck!
12-2 is good for a 20A circuit. It'll do if the run isn't too long.

Yeah, 50 feet wired direct to the water pump. Not going to feed the
whole house until I can get a LE to come in and check the final
hookups.. Have to look into the codes and such first but it looks like I
will be set at daylight...

On 11/2/2011 6:07 PM, stp wrote:
On Nov 2, 4:35 pm, wrote:
I got me a 5500 watt generator, a NEMA L14-30, and I just found a roll
of 12/2 in the basement cause there isn't one of those items available
for a hundred miles in any direction here. Yep, the wire is gone at
well, everywhere... Yes, even the contractors supply But I got 250 feet!

Anyway, wish me luck.. Later...

Good Luck! Of course your electric service will be restored five
minutes after you get it all hooked up. DAMHIKT

That's ok, that is what usually happens to us too.. good experience,
learning "before" winter hits...

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 16:35:52 -0400, JustWait
wrote:

I got me a 5500 watt generator, a NEMA L14-30, and I just found a roll
of 12/2 in the basement cause there isn't one of those items available
for a hundred miles in any direction here. Yep, the wire is gone at
well, everywhere... Yes, even the contractors supply But I got 250 feet!

Anyway, wish me luck.. Later...

======

Be careful with that thing. I'm sure you know this but 12-2 is way
too light for a 5500 watt generator although it will probablly be OK
for just your pump.

wrote:

I got me a 5500 watt generator, a NEMA L14-30, and I just found a roll
of 12/2 in the basement cause there isn't one of those items available
for a hundred miles in any direction here. Yep, the wire is gone at
well, everywhere... Yes, even the contractors supply But I got 250 feet!

Anyway, wish me luck.. Later...

======

Be careful with that thing. I'm sure you know this but 12-2 is way
too light for a 5500 watt generator although it will probablly be OK
for just your pump.

Yes, one line, direct to pump...

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 09:24:15 -0400, JustWait
wrote:

Watch the 12/2! If running just the pump it should be good if the run
isn't too long.

Yup. Going out this morning before I start up and see if they got bigger
stuff in yet.

====

If you can get a short length of 6-3, or individual #6s, you could
create a sub-panel next to the generator and run individual 12-2 where
you need it. Each 12-2 ahould have its own breaker in the sub-panel,
double pole for a 220 volt circuit, single pole for a 110.

That generator is going to burn a lot of gas if you load it up,
probably 1 gph or so.