Professional Target

Default Current Designs Squall/Storm

I'm curious what people think of the Squall or Storm from Current Designs.
I'm looking for a new sea kayak which will be used mainly in the Great Lakes
area as well as on other large local lakes and rivers (Wisconsin, Illinois
mainly). It may occasionally make a trip to the ocean, financese permitting.

I'm 5'11" 175 pounds, so I'm leaning a bit more towards the Squall, but it
all depends on fit.

--
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
- B. Franklin
John

I'm 270 and 6'2". I love my Storm. It is great in big water. I was
not thrilled with the performance in a medium sized fairly fast river
(Manistee in Michigan about 50 feet wide) The current seemed to push me
around more than I would have liked. Because there are virtually no
chimes it feels a bit tippy at the start but is actually very stable.

Professional Target wrote:
I'm curious what people think of the Squall or Storm from Current Designs.
I'm looking for a new sea kayak which will be used mainly in the Great Lakes
area as well as on other large local lakes and rivers (Wisconsin, Illinois
mainly). It may occasionally make a trip to the ocean, financese permitting.

I'm 5'11" 175 pounds, so I'm leaning a bit more towards the Squall, but it
all depends on fit.

John Smith

Unless you want a barge you will be WAY too small for the storm. I can't
comment on the Squall. I am 5'11" 205# and it was a tank for me. I was
looking to move up from my Rec boat but this felt like a bigger rec boat to
me. Too much initial stability, poor response to leans, mushy footpegs
(rudder). I ended up with a Tempest 170 which is SO MUCH better of a boat
for me it isn't funny.
Your experience may differ, Try it but make sure you try others also.

db

This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam X-terminator
from StompSoft http://www.stompsoft.com
"Professional Target" wrote in message
I'm curious what people think of the Squall or Storm from Current Designs.
I'm looking for a new sea kayak which will be used mainly in the Great

Lakes
area as well as on other large local lakes and rivers (Wisconsin, Illinois
mainly). It may occasionally make a trip to the ocean, financese

permitting.

I'm 5'11" 175 pounds, so I'm leaning a bit more towards the Squall, but it
all depends on fit.

--
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
- B. Franklin

Jack Mulligan

I have paddled the Storm and I own a Squall. The Storm felt like a big
boat designed for big trips on big water. The Squall is lighter and
more nimble, still carries a lot of gear, and seems to relish rough
conditions. We also own a Current Designs Sirocco, which I'm learning
to appreciate the more my skills develop. My wife love the Squall and
rarely wants to trade boats. Does this help?
JM

In article ,
Professional Target wrote:

I'm curious what people think of the Squall or Storm from Current Designs.
I'm looking for a new sea kayak which will be used mainly in the Great Lakes
area as well as on other large local lakes and rivers (Wisconsin, Illinois
mainly). It may occasionally make a trip to the ocean, financese permitting.

I'm 5'11" 175 pounds, so I'm leaning a bit more towards the Squall, but it
all depends on fit.

Professional Target

Jack Mulligan writes:

I have paddled the Storm and I own a Squall. The Storm felt like a big
boat designed for big trips on big water. The Squall is lighter and
more nimble, still carries a lot of gear, and seems to relish rough
conditions. We also own a Current Designs Sirocco, which I'm learning
to appreciate the more my skills develop. My wife love the Squall and
rarely wants to trade boats. Does this help?
JM

Thanks, it does help. Also thanks to the others that have replied to this
thread. I hadn't looked at the Sirocco yet, so I'll do a bit of research
there as well. I'm currently thinking about the CD Storm and the Wilderness
Systems Tempest 165 as options (though my options keep changing).

Buying a new, more advanced boat is worse than buying a car, mainly because
it's harder to test-drive a kayak

That being said, there's a public event near where I live that will have
some demos (not sure which ones) in a couple weeks, so I'll be attending
this before going any further.

With any luck, I'll get a chance at the boats I'm looking at.

--
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
- B. Franklin

Professional Target

Professional Target writes:
Thanks, it does help. Also thanks to the others that have replied to this
thread. I hadn't looked at the Sirocco yet, so I'll do a bit of research
there as well. I'm currently thinking about the CD Storm and the Wilderness
Systems Tempest 165 as options (though my options keep changing).

Correction: "Squall", not "Storm".

--
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
- B. Franklin
bb

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:59:23 GMT, Professional Target
wrote:

I hadn't looked at the Sirocco yet, so I'll do a bit of research
there as well.

I recently bought a Sirocco as my first kayak. I'm 6' 2", about 210#.
So far, I'm very comfortable in it. Seems to handle well, and I
certainly have no problem keeping up with the more advanced paddlers
I've been going with.

bb