Default Real Liberalism

On 10/26/2011 1:20 PM, X ` Man wrote:

Eisboch (10 year Navy veteran)

Some years ago, I read somewhere that it was the Navy's idea to put the
sign up because Bush was coming aboard and that the White House got the
sign made. The entire event was a Bush media circus,

Nope, it was a Navy request oh dishonest one...

In article ,
says...

In article ,

says...

On 10/26/2011 1:13 PM, iBoaterer wrote:

White House spokesman Scott McClellan told CNN that in preparing for the
speech, Navy officials on the carrier told Bush aides they wanted a
"Mission Accomplished" banner, and the White House agreed to create it.

Got it, it was a Navy request... Thanks for clarifying..

But this means nothing to you?

Bush offered the explanation after being asked whether his speech
declaring an end to major combat in Iraq under the "Mission
Accomplished" banner was premature, given that U.S. casualties in Iraq
since then have surpassed those before it.

If Bush didn't know about it, why did he offer up that excuse? Are you
really so blinded by your party that you can't see?

Add to that that every aspect of his appearence aboard the ship was VERY
well detailed and orchestrated, right down to his landing, TWO fly-by's,
his name already on the plane..... Right, the White House, (who had the
banner made) knew nothing of it.

Add to that the fact that the banner is now in the Bush Presidential
Library..... Nope, he knew nothing.... RIIGGGHHHT.....

And here's more!!!!

At his news conference yesterday, President Bush said the decision to
put a "Mission Accomplished" banner on the aircraft carrier where he
gave a speech following the invasion of Iraq in 2003 was a "mistake."

It was not his mistake, however, according to CBS News political analyst
Dan Bartlett, a former senior advisor to Mr. Bush. Asked this morning by
Harry Smith, co-anchor of CBS' The Early Show, who was responsible for
the banner ? Smith pointed out that both the Navy and former White House
Press Secretary Scott McClellan have taken the blame in the past ?
Bartlett said that it was actually his call.

"Quite frankly, yours truly was the guy who actually signed off" on
posting the banner, Bartlett said, after people on the aircraft carrier
approached the White House with the idea. "I regret it to this day,
because it did send the wrong message."

[...]

Oh, and yet MORE about the banner!!!!!

MR. WOODWARD: And you know, one thing ? just one quick thing not on the
list but someone told me about the other day, which I found fascinating.
When the person that gave that speech on the Lincoln with the ?Mission
Accomplished? on the back, somebody told me that the White House
speechwriters had used MacArthur?s surrender speech on the Missouri as a
model. And they literally had in that speech ?the guns are silent,? and
you edited it out.

SEC. RUMSFELD: I took ?mission accomplished? out. I was in Baghdad, and
I was given a draft of that thing to look at. And I just died, and I
said my God, it?s too conclusive. And I fixed it and sent it back..

MR. WOODWARD: were you on the trip?

SEC. RUMSFELD: I was. And we got it back and they fixed the speech, but
not the sign.

MR. WOODWARD: That?s right. But it had ?the guns are silent,? and
someone said you line-edited it out and said the guns are not silent.

SEC. RUMSFELD: Yeah, that?s for darn sure.

MR. WOODWARD: Is that ?

SEC. RUMSFELD: Yeah. No, there?s no question but that I was well aware
that things were still happening there. I was there.

And more!!!!

Scott Sforza flew out to the USS Lincoln five days before the speech.
Sforza was the White House?s in-house producer.

~~~

In the course of his labors, Sforza became quite taken with the crew.
When they mentioned to the White House aide that they would like to
emblazon the stage with a banner reading MISSION ACCOMPLISHED so as to
send up a victorious signal to their families and Navy buddies, Sforza
loved the spirit of it and was effusive in his pitch to Fleischer,
Bartlett, and the others. By conference call, they mused among
themselves: Could the slogan backfire? But Fleischer reminded the others
that the press had been haranguing Bush to declare an end to major
combat operations for weeks now. The press shop gave Sforza the green
light.

Sforza had the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner designed by a private vendor,
with a slick red-white-and-blue background. It was unfurled and pinned
alongside the carrier, directly behind where the president would give
his nationally televised speech on the evening of May 1.

On 10/26/2011 1:00 PM, jps wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 07:12:29 -0400, wrote:

"iBoaterer" wrote in message

Like "hope and change" or "yes we can" Don't knock stupid slogans. They
worked for one clown.

Yeah, they did. "Mission Accomplished".

This myth keeps being perpetuated by the media and those who like to bash
Bush as if he was declaring the end of the war in Iraq.

The "Mission Accomplished" banner displayed on the USS Abraham Lincoln had
nothing to do with Iraq, despite what the media
and Bush haters would like to believe.

US Naval ships often deploy on long term "cruises" that typically last for
4-6 months or more away from their home port.
Each of these cruises have a specific "mission". The mission is unique to
the ship or the task force that it is part of.

Navy tradition includes a celebration of sorts by the ship (or task force)
to acknowledge that their specific, unique "Mission" has come to
an end and the ship(s) are returning to their home ports and families. On
smaller ships tradition often includes mounting a broom
upside down somewhere on the mast to indicate a "clean sweep" in the
performance of the unique cruise or mission.

When Bush visited the Abraham Lincoln, the aircraft carrier had just been
relieved by another carrier and was on it's way
back to it's home port. The "Mission Accomplished" banner on the ship was
in celebration of the end of it's specific cruise
and not the end of the Iraq war.

Eisboch (10 year Navy veteran)

It's not a good excuse to use the ship's schedule as the reason for
the banner. It was a media event, replete with a deck landing by the
CIC in flight jammies, including cod piece.

I seriously doubt the ship carries and hangs banners when it completes
each mission.

Nice try though.

You are a Navy veteran of how many years?

On 10/26/2011 2:44 PM, iBoaterer wrote:
In ,
[...]

So, you don't know who signed off on the banner, but you know it was
Bush..Riiiight...

On 10/26/2011 2:48 PM, iBoaterer wrote:
[...]

Yup, Bush was right there the whole time.. Oh wait? The Navy requested
it...

"X ` Man" wrote in message ...

On 10/26/11 7:12 AM, Eisboch wrote:

"iBoaterer" wrote in message

[...]

sign made. The entire event was a Bush media circus, including the part
when he landed on the carrier in a jet with a Navy pilot.

It's a big deal ... even on a nuke aircraft carrier .... to have the
Commander in Chief come aboard.
I was on a couple of small ships and we were once visited by the Secretary
of the Navy.
I thought the Captain was going to **** a brick getting the ship prepared
for his visit.
I am sure the CO of the Lincoln did everything he could to make Bush's visit
memorable.

But again, I repeat ... flying the broom or celebrating the successful
completion of a ship's
long term cruise and mission is traditional. In this case it was not
intended to celebrate a
victory in Iraq. The media reports and interpretations over the years have
made it what
many now view it as.

Eisboch
Anyway, twist and turn

"iBoaterer" wrote in message

[...]

An "unfortunate" juxtaposition, eh?

Well, I have no reason to doubt you on this, but history (which is
sometimes wrong) thinks otherwise!

A victim of liberalism wf3h General 2 August 29th 09 03:01 PM
A victim of liberalism Tim General 2 August 27th 09 03:25 PM
Liberalism plus Stupidity Atomic Abusement Park Clown General 9 July 29th 09 01:15 AM
Trickle down liberalism Frogwatch[_2_] General 24 July 7th 09 02:19 AM