Jim Pratt

Default Buttons on boat covers hard to snap on

Is it possible to apply some type of product to soften up my boat covers in
order to snap-on them on easier? My cover sections have shrunk and are very
difficult to stretch into place in order to snap on. (Some sections have
windows - and all look like a canvas weave material underneath, and a white
smooth naugahide looking finish on the outside. Not sure what this stuff is
called). The covers are actually in pretty good shape for a 1980 Sylvan
Sportster IO. I suspect the previous owner hardly ever used them. I need to.
I can't locate anythone on the web making exact replacements from a pattern
that old, without having to send in the originals.

Thanks much!
Jim

bowgus

I had the same problem but since my covers are vinyl, by using them
consistently through the summer, they eventually stretched. Maybe through
use, yours will do the same?

"Jim Pratt" wrote in message
[...]

Paul

My friend's boat cover suffers a lot from expansion and contraction, I'm not
sure what the material is but it's vinyl-like.

Once in the winter we went into the garage and what he wanted was in the
boat. He popped the edge of the tonneau off and with both of us trying we
couldn't encourage it back on. He was confident that when the winter was
over it would work again ... and it did.

e.rogers.com...

"Jim Pratt" wrote in message
[...]

Keith

West and other marine stores have little snap extenders that can help out.
It's a little piece of leather or vinyl with a male snap on one end and a
female on the other.

"Jim Pratt" wrote in message
[...]

Richard Malcolm

the extenders are fine but if you need alot of them make yur own. It
is cheaper and fun, sort of. for small money you can by a tool that
puts snaps in to fabric. cut a piect of vinyl about an inch long and
put a male snap at one end and a female at the other end and other
side.
But what I wanted to add is the best tool in the world for putting on
snaps. it comes in a few styles, but basicly the one I like is a
wooden handle with a bent metal end. the end has a semi-circle cut out
of it which is the size of a snap. you hook the snap with this tool
and pull the snap where you want it to go. it is great. you get so
much leverage. see them at West marine, etc. also try a little
vasoline on your snaps/

by the way I hate doing my snaps and sometimes wish that my boat
didn't have a bimini. then I go out in bad weather and remember why I
have one
good luck

Gary Warner

Hey Rich.

When I saw this thread I thought of that cool tool too.