Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
riverman

Default OT and contentious: Torture photos from Iraq

For a country that prides itself in its free press, I was amazed to see
coverage of the photos of US soldiers torturing and humiating Iraqi detainee
on all the tv news stations last night, all except CNN. South Africa had it,
Sky News from Britain had it headlined, even the local Congolese news had
it. Not a word on CNN International. Today, it finally comes out in Reuters.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...aq_pictures_dc

When you get outside the US, you see our country in a similar light as how
much of the world sees it. Stories come across in the news differently,
attitudes about our actions and our influence are colored entirely
differently, and the old phrase 'Fortress America' has new meaning. This
latest thing is atrocious, and I am sure than there isn't a single American
living in the states who fully realizes how distainful, discrediting and
compromising this makes us look.

I trepidaciously look forward to how Bush will pass blame for this on to
someone else.

--riverman