Brian Nystrom

Default OT and contentious: Torture photos from Iraq

riverman wrote:
This
latest thing is atrocious, and I am sure than there isn't a single American
living in the states who fully realizes how distainful, discrediting and
compromising this makes us look.

Agreed.

I trepidaciously look forward to how Bush will pass blame for this on to
someone else.

The blame rests with the people who did it. That seems pretty evident.
There's no reason to pass the blame, what's needed is to prosecute the
guilty parties.

Fiona

Brian Nystrom wrote in message ...
riverman wrote:
This
latest thing is atrocious, and I am sure than there isn't a single American
living in the states who fully realizes how distainful, discrediting and
compromising this makes us look.

Agreed.

I trepidaciously look forward to how Bush will pass blame for this on to
someone else.

The blame rests with the people who did it. That seems pretty evident.
There's no reason to pass the blame, what's needed is to prosecute the
guilty parties.

It is not isolated Brian.
We ( As a group ) don't see these people as fully human so we can do
nasty things to them.
After all they blew up the trade towers ... right??.
Brian Nystrom

riverman wrote:

This
latest thing is atrocious, and I am sure than there isn't a single American
living in the states who fully realizes how distainful, discrediting and
compromising this makes us look.

Agreed.

I trepidaciously look forward to how Bush will pass blame for this on to
someone else.

The blame rests with the people who did it. That seems pretty evident.
There's no reason to pass the blame, what's needed is to prosecute the
guilty parties.

It is not isolated Brian.

That depends on how you define "isolated". I'm assuming that this has
happened more than once, but that hardly makes it systemic.

We ( As a group ) don't see these people as fully human so we can do
nasty things to them.

Don't include me in your "we". I don't see it that way at all. There is
no justification for what apparently happened.

After all they blew up the trade towers ... right??.

No. Whatever gave you that idea?

You're going way out on a limb here. What point are you trying to make?
Are you just trying to bait me or something? If so, you're wasting your
time, as I don't think that way.

Galen Hekhuis

On Thu, 06 May 2004 23:44:30 GMT, Brian Nystrom
wrote:

That depends on how you define "isolated". I'm assuming that this has
happened more than once, but that hardly makes it systemic.

Wait a minute. We are expected to believe that these reservists came up
with things that Muslims specifically would see as humiliating? All by
themselves with no help? Do you think they took Arab Humiliation courses
at their local community college?

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We are the CroMagnon of the future
Fiona

wrote:

That depends on how you define "isolated". I'm assuming that this has
happened more than once, but that hardly makes it systemic.

Wait a minute. We are expected to believe that these reservists came up
with things that Muslims specifically would see as humiliating? All by
themselves with no help? Do you think they took Arab

Humiliation courses
at their local community college?

Galen I think anyone would be humiliated at this stuff. I did not see
anything that would not fill a Christian or a pagan with absolute
disgust .

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We are the CroMagnon of the future

brian : i was being sarcastic. the world knows that iraq had nothing
to do with the trade tower bombings . WMD's are sort of in doubt
right now too.
in an earier post I mentioned what happened to a friend .
i am pretty angry about that.
soldiers are not policing themselves in a mannor appropriate for the
circomstance.
US soldiers (and brits) are finding themselves in the same
circomstance that i would imagine the germans did with the jews.
dehuminize the foe and they can be mistreated or even exterminated.
the germans are not an ignorant barbaric race, as a nation quite the
oposite : but they did what they did and now we are getting a lesson
on how this can happen.
i saw a night vision video of three men being shot by machine gun a
couple of nights ago. they were unarmed.
the humiliation the men in that iraqi prison were put through was not
just stuff that would play on the Islamic mind , it would be a crime
against anyone.

what you are looking at is an attitude. young men have absolute power
over a people that can't speak the language to complain and if they
can they are afraid to.
this has hapened before; and will again.
the truly sad thing is there is now way out.
we had a program played here in Canada , A W5 CBC production . It was
about the bush , bin laden ties and soudi arabia. It was most
interesting.
going to war seams easy. how george gets you out of it is going to be
a task.

though i dissagree with your view you are quite eliquent. i an sure
you don't carry a natural hatred for arabs at large, right now though
the coalition of the willing seams to. the news not allowed out of
iraq is frightening . your own media is not allowed to show coffins,
body bags or the bodies of dead US soldiers.
i think you will change your mind, eventually ( 10 years or so ) but
only if i am wrong....
fiona.

Brian Nystrom

wrote:

That depends on how you define "isolated". I'm assuming that this has
happened more than once, but that hardly makes it systemic.

Wait a minute. We are expected to believe that these reservists came up
with things that Muslims specifically would see as humiliating? All by
themselves with no help? Do you think they took Arab Humiliation courses
at their local community college?

Well, I think it's safe to say that anyone would have found it
humiliating. Regardless, it's entirely possible that they were coached,
directed and/or encouraged. If so, the people who did so should be
punished at least as severely as those who perpetrated the acts.
However, that doesn't mean that all guards, supervisors and the like are
guilty or that these things occurred at all facilities. Time will tell.

Blakely LaCroix

For a country that prides itself in its free press, I was amazed to see
coverage of the photos of US soldiers torturing and humiating Iraqi detainee
on all the tv news stations last night, all except CNN.

Followup:

So where are we now? CBS was asked to suppress the story - which it did -
essentially confirming that part of the US media is under the direction of the
US government. Now that is a free press.

----

I don't know why everyone is so surprised by the discovery of abuse of Iraqi
prisioners. It should come as no surprise that a nation capable of compromising
the rights of its own citizens in support of a war on terror through the
provisions of the Patriot Act would hesitate at all in violating the human
rights of people it has declared as the enemy.

----

The far right has a tradition of believing the End justifies the Means. We need
only become students of history. It was 40 years ago, that we first heard
"Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice". (Barry Goldwater - 1964
presidential campaign).

One aspect of becoming older is that you get to see much of the past repeated.
It seems each generation needs to learn their own truthes through their own
experiences. So we make the same mistakes all over again.

Those of the Vietnam era have already experienced the abuse of domestic
surveillence by the CIA and FBI. And nearly 34 years ago to the day, we
witnessed our own military killing our own citizenry in the streets. Back then
the images of abuse were prisoners in "Tiger Cages" and people pushed out of
helicopters. The chant from Patriotic chorus was just as loud. "Love it or
Leave it". Nixon won in a record landslide only to become the first president
to resign in disgrace.

And then we wonder why the American people are split so sharply over (your
pick) Bush, the war in Iraq, rights violations both foreign and domestic.
Many of us have seen it before. And after the dust settled, there were the
investigations where we learned that we were lied to and spied upon "for our
own good". The distrust that the government earned lingers long.

Blakely LaCroix
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA.
RBP Clique member # 86.

The best adventure is yet to come.