Richard Malcolm

Default Dead freind makes me think.

A dear friend passed on this week and had some of her ashes scattered.
Made me wonder when I go, is there laws against scattering ashes at
sea?
Ron Thornton

Default Dead friend makes me think.

As I understand it, the US Navy and/or USCG will scatter ashes at sea,
on their time schedule off course. Mine will be interned at the family
cemetery but I'm having a tablespoon or so scattered at the light tower
off Virginia Beach.

Paul

Sorry to hear about that. I have been in a similar situation and I don't
know the law, however I do think I know human nature and so my advice would
be this.

Simply do what you think is right and best. A ceremony such as that is (or
at least was in our case) subtle, quiet and private. Interestingly I found
it uplifting and inspiring as opposed to the funeral, I felt better
afterwards and it still helps when I think of it.

We didn't tell the funeral director or anyone, no need and it's a private
matter anyway. I can't possibly imagine that anyone would threaten any sort
of legal action, but if you haven't said anything then there would be no way
they could know anyway.

If you need to hire a boat I think you'll find plenty of skippers who will
oblige.

"Richard Malcolm" wrote in message
om...
A dear friend passed on this week and had some of her ashes scattered.
Made me wonder when I go, is there laws against scattering ashes at
sea?

Gould 0738

There's probably a law that nobody would ever enforce. The uproar would sink
some minor functionary's entire career in public employment.

A few ashes tossed overboard as a memorial don't present a serious pollution
hazard. If you were a chimney cleaning company hoping to shovel a pickp load
into the local harbor every afternoon at quitting time.....that would be
another matter entirely.

Sorry about your loss. Your departed friend
was lucky to have people willing to treasure his memory and honor his passage
with a sincere ceremony.

Peggie Hall

Richard Malcolm wrote:
A dear friend passed on this week and had some of her ashes scattered.
Made me wonder when I go, is there laws against scattering ashes at
sea?

No...it's quite legal. Nor is it necessary to have the Navy or CG do it.
When my husband died in Atlanta, I was able to make all the
arrangements to scatter his ashes in the Gulf through the National
Cremation Service in FL. They hired a captained trawler and arranged for
a priest to go out with us to hold the service. Cost was very
reasonable. However, if you have your own boat(s) available, you can
take them out yourself and do it. Legally, all that's required is that
you be at least 3 miles offshore.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Calif Bill

"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
Richard Malcolm wrote:
[...]

The 3 miles depends on your state. Used to be 3 miles in California, but
was ignored by all. So now is 1 mile and can be inside San Francisco Bay.
They give the ashes to the family and you can do the spreading yourself. We
spread my F-I-L's ashes off Racoon straights in San Franciso bay. There
have been ashes spread from fishing party boats at the end of a days fishing
for people who did most of their fishing from the boat. We have the Neptune
Society here in the West and may be other areas that will make all the
arrangements. Is very resonable compared to earth burial.

Peggie Hall

Calif Bill wrote:
They give the ashes to the family and you can do the spreading yourself. We
spread my F-I-L's ashes off Racoon straights in San Franciso bay. There
have been ashes spread from fishing party boats at the end of a days fishing
for people who did most of their fishing from the boat. We have the Neptune
Society here in the West and may be other areas that will make all the
arrangements. Is very resonable compared to earth burial.

It's a fraction of the cost...in fact, travel expenses for the family
were more than cremation and scattering cost us.

An important thing to remember when scattering: make sure you don't
release the cremains into the wind or even a light breeze. People who've
forgotten this little detail have been forced to hose the major portion
of the dear departed off their boats...and even send a portion down
shower drains.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Paul

An important thing to remember when scattering: make sure you don't
release the cremains into the wind or even a light breeze. People who've
forgotten this little detail have been forced to hose the major portion
of the dear departed off their boats...and even send a portion down
shower drains.

You make a good point, it is a very light ash which surprised me too.
Although in hindsight I guess all ash is light.

The ashes we spread went up and glittered in the sun, then meandered off in
a slowly dissipating cloud. Exactly what we all needed to see.

Peggie Hall

allowed in San Francisco Bay. I was not aware of any significants
restriction on navigable water (probably prohibited in Richardson Bay?
That's an NDZ).

NDZ applies ONLY to toilet waste.

Peggie