Bobo

Default Kayaking Road Trip - Question on sharing the cost. . . .

I like to drive solo and sing the songs of Bruce Springsteen as it
blares out of my speakers. But with the price of gasoline
skyrocketing, I've got to change my ways. I need someone to help pay
for the gas. I'm driving a truck with only room for one passenger.

If I do all the driving, is it fair to ask my passenger to pay all the
gas? If it's not fair, what's a fair dollar amount to ask? How do
you divvy up the cost when filling up a tank of gas can cost $30-40?
I don't think 50/50 sounds fair if I'm doing all the driving and
taking all the wear and tear on my truck.

I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who go on long,
long, long road trips. Do you ask your passengers to pay their share
before hand or as it's incurred?
bkr

Bobo wrote:
I like to drive solo and sing the songs of Bruce Springsteen as it
blares out of my speakers. But with the price of gasoline
skyrocketing, I've got to change my ways. I need someone to help pay
for the gas. I'm driving a truck with only room for one passenger.

If I do all the driving, is it fair to ask my passenger to pay all the
gas? If it's not fair, what's a fair dollar amount to ask? How do
you divvy up the cost when filling up a tank of gas can cost $30-40?
I don't think 50/50 sounds fair if I'm doing all the driving and
taking all the wear and tear on my truck.

I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who go on long,
long, long road trips. Do you ask your passengers to pay their share
before hand or as it's incurred?

For me, I think it's reasonable to expect a certain amount of driving
from my trip-mate. But of course, I've only traveled with people I know
or know about already so that may make some difference. If someone
doesn't drive at all it is reasonable to request a larger portion of the
travel costs from them, but I wouldn't go to 100%. You would be
taking the trip anyway and would incur costs so expecting them to cover
all those costs isn't reasonable. Work something out before hand and
barter if necessary, until both parties are satisfied.

bkr
John Kuthe

Bobo wrote:

I like to drive solo and sing the songs of Bruce Springsteen as it
blares out of my speakers. But with the price of gasoline
skyrocketing, I've got to change my ways. I need someone to help pay
for the gas. I'm driving a truck with only room for one passenger.

[snip]

Like other folks have said, it is all up to you and your corider/driver or
whatever. When I had a Suburban, I liked taking three others to share gas
costs (and make a little party out of it too!), and the very first trip we
took, one woman thought her and the other two were gonna split all the gas
costs, cause it was my vehicle and trips she had been on with others had
worked it that way. I said no, we'd split the gas 4 ways, cause I'd be
going regardless, so...

It's kinda up to the driver/owner of the vehicle, I guess. If you can get
someone to go with you and get them to pay for all the gas if you do all
the driving, cool! I'd not do it though! I mean, pay for all your gas for
the proivilege of doing no driving. The way I kinda figure, everyone
shares everything, the driving, the costs, etc. I took a trip with a
friend recently, and he would not let me do any driving, so that's cool
with me, but I offered, yano? Fair is fair, I figure.

John Kuthe...