bkr

Default Kayaking Road Trip - Question on sharing the cost. . . .

Bobo wrote:
I like to drive solo and sing the songs of Bruce Springsteen as it
blares out of my speakers. But with the price of gasoline
skyrocketing, I've got to change my ways. I need someone to help pay
for the gas. I'm driving a truck with only room for one passenger.

If I do all the driving, is it fair to ask my passenger to pay all the
gas? If it's not fair, what's a fair dollar amount to ask? How do
you divvy up the cost when filling up a tank of gas can cost $30-40?
I don't think 50/50 sounds fair if I'm doing all the driving and
taking all the wear and tear on my truck.

I'm especially interested in hearing from those of you who go on long,
long, long road trips. Do you ask your passengers to pay their share
before hand or as it's incurred?

For me, I think it's reasonable to expect a certain amount of driving
from my trip-mate. But of course, I've only traveled with people I know
or know about already so that may make some difference. If someone
doesn't drive at all it is reasonable to request a larger portion of the
travel costs from them, but I wouldn't go to 100%. You would be
taking the trip anyway and would incur costs so expecting them to cover
all those costs isn't reasonable. Work something out before hand and
barter if necessary, until both parties are satisfied.

bkr