Tim Tim is offline

Default Marine radio transceivers....

My Marquis came with a Uniden MC 610 Marine Radio which I believe
isn't working. The LED digital selector comes on when it powers up
but that's about it.

Don't really know what the problem is, but i think it's probably had.
So, I'm going to shop for a replacement.

I've heard that on the Ohio, Cumberland, Tennessee rivers a small had
held doesn't work very well due to the bends and trees lining the
banks, and a friend of mind recommended a radio system with a fairly
good antenna. His unit had a 7 foot whip antenna. I have a similar
antenna that cam with the boat. Actually two of them. I think one was
for the marine radio and the other was for a CB.

Anyhow, the shopping is going to happen.

Anyone have any suggestions for a decent and affordable (but not
cheap) radio that you would recommend for my use on a 23 ft. boat that
will be used to hail marinas, and lock/dams etc?

Thanks!

On 16/07/2011 10:32 AM, Tim wrote:

My Marquis came with a Uniden MC 610 Marine Radio which I believe
isn't working. The LED digital selector comes on when it powers up
but that's about it.

That means it is getting power.

Don't really know what the problem is, but i think it's probably had.
So, I'm going to shop for a replacement.

Before going for a replacement, check the antenna. With an ohm meter,
disconnect the antenna cable and measure it for resistance or a short or
open. Could be just one of the ends is broken off from boat vibrations.

Or if you do buy a new one, do the antenna as well. Make sure you have
the right antenna and cable the radio.

Most often it is antenna or cable, todays solid state radios, if they
work for 30 days they will work for 30 years provided the antenna is
there. All you might need is a new cable or antenna.

--
Obama and the fleabaggers, installing debt-tax slavery
to unborn Americans, and ruination of the American economy

On 7/16/2011 12:32 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Check the fuses. There may be one inside the case as well.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:32:22 -0700 (PDT), Tim
wrote:

[...]

The key thing is the antenna, there are major differences between
types and brands. If you want maximum range and a good value, I'd go
with one of these:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|302025|320647|321064&id=70911

You will need to buy a mount also.

With radios, Icom and Standard Horizon are the quality leaders but I
find that just about all of them will get the job done.

Here's a bargain unit by Uniden:

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|344|301236|86885|441555&id=1701917

Tim wrote:
[...]

VHF is line-of-sight so it depends on the distance you are transmitting
and the height of your antenna. Trees shouldn't be much of a problem
unless it's a dense, wooded, area. Short distances are really no
problem for a hand-held unit. If you are so far away that the horizon
is a factor then you need a taller antenna.

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 21:50:36 -0400, L G wrote:

Tim wrote:
[...]

Hand held units are limited by their low power and short, inefficient
antennas. They are typically good for about a mile or so.

A 25 watt fixed mount tranciever with an eight foot antenna is usually
OK at 10 to 20 miles over open terrain or water, sometimes more if
talking to a base station with a high antenna.

stp stp is offline

On Jul 16, 12:32*pm, Tim wrote:
[...]

No advice as to brand or model but buying a new(er) unit gets you DSC
which is nice.

With the press of a button, all DSC equipped VHF radios can send a
distress call in digital form on channel 70. The call, sent in much
less than one second, includes your unique identification number
(MMSI) and if the radio is connected to a GPS or Loran C, the precise
location of your boat. The distress call will continue to be sent
until it is answered by another station. The station hearing the call
will likely call your radio on channel 16 or, in the case of the Coast
Guard on 22A and begin the process of bringing you the help you need.

need marine radio M. Baker General 13 August 8th 07 04:47 AM
Emergency marine radio - aviation 121.5 radio in a pinch? Mitchell Gossman General 12 June 20th 04 04:56 PM
Marine radio Mitchell Gossman General 3 June 17th 04 04:53 AM
FS: Marine CB Radio in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 February 19th 04 01:23 PM
Marine radio on ebay Vito Electronics 1 October 3rd 03 09:31 PM