BoatBanter.com

-   -   Re-flooring my Marquis. (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/134874-re-flooring-my-marquis.html)

Tim July 3rd 11 09:48 PM

Re-flooring my Marquis.

Had some old plywood getting soft in the center, and decided to re-do
the floor. when we pulled off the old carpet which was weathered
anyhow, we found out that in the times past someone had repaired the
floor by cutting out a center section and replacing it with standard
plywood. Evidently it had held for quite a while but it's days were
numbered. besides it gave us a chance to inspect the stringers and
other bracing etc.

So, after thinking about the re-floor, we decided to not go with
standard ply because it's not weather resistant, or marine due to the
expense, so we settled on "DRYPLY"

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4882

A weather resistant plywood which has a lot of characteristics of
marine plywood but is more cost effective. Like $23.00 a 3/4 sheet at
Menards, and in stock too.

Regardless. It ought to last way longer than I'll ever have the boat.

John H[_2_] July 3rd 11 10:45 PM

Re-flooring my Marquis.

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 13:48:21 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:

[...]

I sure hope you can post some pictures of the process. That would be interesting.

Jay[_5_] July 3rd 11 11:00 PM

Re-flooring my Marquis.

On 7/3/2011 4:48 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Have you considered not recarpeting and instead putting a non skid
coating on the plywood floor. Carpeting and upholstery in an open
cockpit is a high maintenance proposition'

Tim July 3rd 11 11:16 PM

Re-flooring my Marquis.

On Jul 3, 5:00*pm, Jay wrote:
On 7/3/2011 4:48 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

It was considered, but not to the point of stress. It's a trailer boat
that will go to the water then at the end of the day or weekend will
But I'd thought about that. and even lighter colored non-skid surfaces
get hot, so the carpet treatment will do ...

Tim July 3rd 11 11:17 PM

Re-flooring my Marquis.

On Jul 3, 4:45*pm, John H wrote:
[...]

Wish I could John, but I'll see if I can get some shots of whats going
on tomorrow...

L G[_42_] July 4th 11 02:25 AM

Re-flooring my Marquis.

Jay wrote:
On 7/3/2011 4:48 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

Good point. There are epoxy coatings that would not only seal the
plywood but would make a great finish coat.

Wayne B July 4th 11 03:55 AM

Re-flooring my Marquis.

wrote:

[...]

=================

It's a good idea to seal the edges with epoxy. That's usually the
first place that water damage starts.

Tim July 4th 11 03:57 AM

Re-flooring my Marquis.

wrote:

[...]

We're on it Wayne. Oh it'll be assembled as a normal procedure, but
with the 'dryply' instead of marine wood....

KateDaring52 July 4th 11 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L G[_42_] (Post 876869)
Jay wrote:
On 7/3/2011 4:48 PM, Tim wrote:
[...]

That's pretty good. Have a blessed and great day guys!!!!

Califbill July 4th 11 09:35 PM

Re-flooring my Marquis.

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jul 3, 4:45 pm, John H wrote:
[...]

Reply:
Make a frame to go across the gunnels to hold the boat in shape when the
flooring is removed. The deck is a structural member and the boat will
spread when it is removed.