Tim Tim is offline

Default Re-flooring my Marquis.

On Jul 4, 3:35*pm, "Califbill" wrote:
"Tim" *wrote in message

On Jul 3, 4:45 pm, John H wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 13:48:21 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:
Had some old plywood getting soft in the center, and decided to re-do
the floor. when we pulled off the old carpet which was weathered
anyhow, we found out that in the times past someone had repaired the
floor by cutting out a center section and replacing it with standard
plywood. Evidently it had held for quite a while but it's days were
numbered. besides it gave us a chance to inspect the stringers and
other bracing etc.

So, after thinking about the re-floor, we decided to not go with
standard ply because it's not weather resistant, or marine due to the
expense, so we settled on "DRYPLY"

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4882

A weather resistant plywood which has a *lot of characteristics of
marine plywood but is more cost effective. Like $23.00 a 3/4 sheet at
Menards, and in stock too.

Regardless. It ought to last way longer than I'll ever have the boat.

I sure hope you can post some pictures of the process. That would be
interesting.

Wish I could John, but I'll see if I can get some shots of whats going
on tomorrow...

Reply:
Make a frame to go across the gunnels to hold the boat in shape when the
flooring is removed. *The deck is a structural member and the boat will
spread when it is removed.

We didn't remove the entire floor. everything is still in place. We
simply pulled the carpet (in rags!) and saw that someone had replaced
a center section with the cheap plywood. all braces and stringers look
great, so total removal of the floor was unnecessary.

"Tim" *wrote in message

On Jul 3, 4:45 pm, John H wrote:

[...]

great, so total removal of the floor was unnecessary.- Hide quoted text -

You can't evaluate a stringer by looking at it unless it's not
encapsulated with fiberglass. I'm betting yours are. You have to
drill a test hole in it and see if you get mush or wood out of the
hole. Fill the hole with epoxy and any filler afterwards.

"Tim" *wrote in message

On Jul 3, 4:45 pm, John H wrote:

[...]

You can't tell if the wood inside a stringer is rotten by looking at
it. You have to drill test holes.
Tim Tim is offline

"Tim" *wrote in message

On Jul 3, 4:45 pm, John H wrote:

[...]

we sounded them with a hammer.

Now this isn't a perfect job where the boat is going to be in pristine
condition. it's an old boat and I'm going to get a few more years out
of it, So, I can't see stripping the hull , restoring it and buying
the boat three times over.
Tim Tim is offline

"Tim" *wrote in message

On Jul 3, 4:45 pm, John H wrote:

[...]

We found that out. The last people who did the center floor did a
pretty mediocre job at best with wood strips resting on the fuel tank
and hardly touching the plywood flooring. needles to say that didn't
work, because the wood wasn't anchored and shifted, so after making
some new bracing for the floor we anchored the bracing into the
stringers with 1" stainless wood screws. They went in like iron and
nothing stripped or went in loosely. I'm confident the stringers are
fine.

"Tim" *wrote in message

On Jul 3, 4:45 pm, John H wrote:

[...]

fine.- Hide quoted text -

Not a valid indication. The outside fiberglass would be what the
screws were biting into the most. You're just guesing that the
stringers are fine. But I see your point on cost return. Few boats
are worth tearing out the entire floor and replacing stringers. And
much of the stringer strength is from the fiberglass, not the original
wood on boats less than 25 ft. Particularly older boats where
fiberglass was laid on pretty heavy as well. As long as it is cloth
or mat and not just sprayed on from a chopper gun. Some newer boats
use fiberglass I beams as stringers with no wood at all.

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 06:16:43 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

Some newer boats
use fiberglass I beams as stringers with no wood at all.

I used to own a boat called a Winner 24. It was a cuddy cabin
runabout built in 1978. The stringers were fiberglass laid over a
foam core and were still like new when I got rid of it several years
ago.

Tim Tim is offline

"Tim" *wrote in message

On Jul 3, 4:45 pm, John H wrote:

[...]

This Marquis was a well built boat in it's day and was well
maintained, but not perfectly. I will say in it's defense that it
wasn't left out in the weather. It was used then trailered out and
kept in shelter. The original interior wasn't weather rotten or
dilapidated. The center floor was soft due to being replaced
amateurishly with cheap plywood, There was a generously heavy coating
of woven fiberglass on the stringers. from past experience doing wood
work on my old garage, when I ran screws into the wood and the screws
went in too easily, spun out auguring sawdust as they went, that meant
the wood was soft and/or rotten. Not these. It really is solid. Or at
least solid enough.

The boat hull should last me several years or until I decide to do
something different. and besides. If it played out, I could still
salvage the 305 GM, alpha 1 and trailer and still get more for the
pieces than I paid for the whole rig.

"Tim" wrote in message

Hey Tim ...... here's my "Marquis" ;

http://www.re-tunes.net/2006D-45.html

Eisboch

1969 marquis T160 & 1975 Johnson 70hp loop charged...Built and runs like a BMW Happy General 5 August 12th 10 02:00 AM
Stripping the Marquis Tim General 35 July 21st 10 01:30 AM
The Marquis has a dubious manifold... Tim General 59 July 18th 10 04:25 AM
two days on the '23 ft. Marquis cuddie.... Tim General 41 June 23rd 07 05:00 AM
Do I need trim tabs on my 23' Marquis? Tim General 21 January 10th 07 01:10 AM