Tim Tim is offline

Default Stripping the Marquis

I decided that since I found wood rot and a cracked manifold on the
Marquis that maybe I should do a bit more investigating. Oh the engine
is fine, but I have noticed that the aluminum pillars which hold the
seats were loose on the floor. doing some investigating, the previous
owners had used large lag screws and had drilled small holes in the
plywood and ran the bolts in. Three of the five on one seat were loose
and when I pulled them out they were rusty which made the seat totally
unstable. Then I thought that I should get rid of the pillars and
build boxes for the seats, also providing storage room for tools,
spare prop, etc.

Then I got to thinking that those rusty bolts are indicators of
possible problems with the floor underneath. I have a very small
access to the steel fuel tank which is mounted under the floor and I
do have access to the sending unit as well as the anti-siphon valve,
but the rubber hose going to the fuel pump is getting cracks in it,
and I can't have that. So, my carpenter buddy and I are deciding to
rip out the floor and sides for a total re-do. I want to check to see
the validity of the fuel tank for rust etc. Plus add an extra fuel
tank for longer cruising range instead of strapping a spare tank onto
the swim platform as originally planned. This also gives a chance to
check out the stringers and investigate for other wood rot and replace
if necessary. I've already removed the back panel and the transom's
integrity is fine. No rot there.

Saturday I went to the a very reputable boat shop; the best in the
area- which is about 30 mi away, and was able to talk with a mechanic
who has worked there for about 20+ years. Yep, he's just about seen it
all. I told him about the cracked manifold which had been psuedo-
repaired with JB weld and he said to bring the manifold in and they
could inspect it, then weld it. I asked if it would hold, and they
said they've had boats out for better than 10 years with no failure to
their repairs, and it would be at a fraction of the cost of a new one
and they would also inspect the risers as well. But if the manifold[s]
were too far gone (and there is that chance) they would install new
ones for about the same price as what I could get the parts from the
ebay stores and do it myself. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

I've removed the bent up bow railing which is of no concern to me.
While I was at the marina, I got a healthy can of marine epoxy which
they use, and will start in on filling holes where I pulled the
railing off and work on the nicks in the hull. when I'm done sanding
and prepping the necessary spots, I'll take it to them to apply gel
coat where necessary. I plan on getting rid of the antique depth
finder and the Ray Jefferson radio and update/replace anything else
that needs be while I have the boat stripped down.

I could go on about my project but Jimmy the carpenter and I are going
to lay out a floor plan and add conveniences to fit instead of just
throwing them in and tying them down.

Well, there will be no river trip for the wife and myself this year,
but- duty now for the future.

"Tim" wrote in message
[...]

You could still do a trip with the pontoon, say from cave in rock to ky
lake, just put in at the cave and I will take your truck on a 2 day joy ride
to KY Lake marina??? sounds fun to me...
also Iboats restoration forum is full of rebuilds and pics,

Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 19, 4:31*pm, "Happy" wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message

[...]

also Iboats restoration forum is full of rebuilds and pics,- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I've checked them out and there's lots of detailed pics from
people who have been really imaculate on their rebuild/restores.
That's one place where I got some inspiration abotu this project. Like
I said, it'll probably be the las boat I ever own and I got it
scandlously cheap, so I could put anouther $1000-1500 in it and have a
great riding and functioning craft; know what I have and still be
less money than buying something compatable off a dealer. I'll
probably be taking some pics of the before, middle stages and after as
I go.

Now concerning the pontoon, I think I'd need a co-signer to afford the
fuel for it to go on the trip we're wanting to take. 200 mi round trip
on a v-4 Johnson? I'd probably need a tanker to follow us.

?:^ Q

On 7/19/10 5:54 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jul 19, 4:31 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

If you are going to spend the time and money on restoring that pontoon
boat, why not buy yourself a new non-current 100 hp Yamaha four stroke,
or something similar. Better mpg's, quieter, et cetera.

"Harry " wrote in message
On 7/19/10 5:54 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jul 19, 4:31 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

who in his right mind would want a 4 stroke yamy when e-tec rules the water
and is cleaner and gets better fuel economy and can pull a yamaha of equal
HP backward and to its grave??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-7I00cZUE0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2gIdMRwfuM

On 7/19/10 6:33 PM, Happy wrote:

"Harry " wrote in message
On 7/19/10 5:54 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jul 19, 4:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

On what planet does e-tec rule the water?

"Harry " wrote in message
m...
On 7/19/10 6:33 PM, Happy wrote:

"Harry " wrote in message
On 7/19/10 5:54 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jul 19, 4:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

you must not get out much Harry??? its the third rock from the sun

Tim wrote:
On Jul 19, 4:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

Start a web page, Tim! There are others that are very interesting to
follow.

Happy wrote:

"Harry " wrote in message
On 7/19/10 5:54 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jul 19, 4:31 pm, wrote:

[...]

That is impressive but I'd also like to see them compare fuel economy
and emissions.

On 7/19/10 7:44 PM, Happy wrote:

"Harry " wrote in message
m...
On 7/19/10 6:33 PM, Happy wrote:

"Harry " wrote in message
On 7/19/10 5:54 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jul 19, 4:31 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

I'm unimpressed by e-tecs, their market penetration, and their owners.

The Marquis has a dubious manifold... Tim General 59 July 18th 10 04:25 AM
two days on the '23 ft. Marquis cuddie.... Tim General 41 June 23rd 07 05:00 AM
Do I need trim tabs on my 23' Marquis? Tim General 21 January 10th 07 01:10 AM
Stripping Wax Bob La Londe General 12 May 23rd 05 05:30 PM
Stripping Wax Bob La Londe Boat Building 1 May 19th 05 03:30 AM