Harry

Default wenonah

I am interested in buying the wenonah vagabond or the wenonah solo plus. Has
anyone some experience with one of these canoes?
Thnx for your help

Harry

Mike McCrea

"Harry" wrote in message ...
I am interested in buying the wenonah vagabond or the wenonah solo plus. Has
anyone some experience with one of these canoes?

Harry,

Try posting the vagabond/Solo Plus question to paddling.net

http://www.paddling.net/message/

I know that at least on P.net participant owns and paddles both of
those Wenonah boats.
Dan Valleskey

I have not paddled the Vagabond. But, dude, there is a lot of
difference between those two boats! Two feet in length, for starters.
One is solo only- the other swings both ways.

I have always liked having a boat that could be paddled solo or
tandem. I have shown up for trips, and picked up newbie partners.
I've taken kids out on the water, me in the middle, one kid in each
end. And I have had cold wet partners take out early, I could carry
on paddling the same boat solo.

Hook up with a good dealer, he may be able to offer some other
suggestions. A Prism comes to mind. And a 17 Jensen makes a fine
solo boat, if you know how to paddle.

Also, look at the Bell boats.

I have 4 Wenonahs, they are fine canoes, the layups are great, nice
aluminum gunwales, good shapes generally.

-Dan

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 20:34:48 +0200, "Harry"
wrote:

I am interested in buying the wenonah vagabond or the wenonah solo plus. Has
anyone some experience with one of these canoes?
Thnx for your help

Harry

Harry

Mike McCrea wrote:
"Harry" wrote in message
I am interested in buying the wenonah vagabond or the wenonah solo
plus. Has
anyone some experience with one of these canoes?

Harry,

Try posting the vagabond/Solo Plus question to paddling.net

http://www.paddling.net/message/

I know that at least on P.net participant owns and paddles both of
those Wenonah boats.

Thanks MIke will do

Harry

kon

The Solo Plus is a good canoe for me. I paddle solo most of the time,
and it handles nicely on the rivers, creeks and lakes I've been on. As
a solo, it is not a racer, but leans nicely and tracks well into the
wind. I kneel while paddling and at 6'3", tucking the legs under the
center seat is a little tight. I may try raising the seat someday, but
it all works for now.

As a tandem, it feels fast and responsive and slices well through the waves.

Harry wrote:

I am interested in buying the wenonah vagabond or the wenonah solo plus. Has
anyone some experience with one of these canoes?
Thnx for your help

Harry

Harry

Thnx all for your help. I'm going to try the prism and solo plus next
wednesday

Harry

Scott Bemis

Default wenonah Solo Plus (own one)

I own a Wenonah Solo Plus canoe, bought on sale from a local retailer,
purchased four years ago.

What I like
I can paddle solo, either as a day trip or for wilderness paddle.
For wilderness tripping, I find it a good solo boat. As I tend to
pack heavy (leave no trace camping, but definitely not a minimalist),
the Solo plus "only" has enough room for my gear or gear for one person
who packs heavy. When paddling solo, I had used a bent shaft paddle; I
now
use a nine foot kayak paddle. I can easily keep up with
recreational kayakers with the nine foot kayak paddle.

For day trips, I can paddle, solo, with two people or with three people,
using the center seat.

I have raised my center seat; however, the
heels of my feet are still too close to the benchseat
when kneeling. I am just under 6 feet in height, medium build. I
recently have outfitted my canoe similar to whitewater canoeist,
including the knee pads, thigh straps, and foot braces. I do not
plan any serious whitewater with the Solo Plus. It has zero rocker
and tracks quite well. I may use it to traverse through up to easy
class II rapids found on a few rivers in Minnesota.
When the wind picks up and I happen to be on one of the numerous
lakes, especially with a fetch over one mile, I tend to start
kneeling. I also have added a canoe cover. I am also trying to see
if I can eskimo roll the canoe with the cover. I have not yet. I need
to practice wet exits with the thigh straps in place. I have concerns
with getting stuck (heels below the seat).

Slight dislikes
It is Royalex, heavier than the kevlyar. The bow is not as sharp as
with kevlyar canoes. I push more water than I prefer, especially with
the kayak paddle. The Wenonah folks mentioned this before the sale.
The Royalex was less expensive than kevlyar. I also believe the
Royalex is more durable, a concern when wilderness tripping,
especially when solo.

I have never paddled the Prism.