Scott Bemis

Default wenonah Solo Plus (own one)

I own a Wenonah Solo Plus canoe, bought on sale from a local retailer,
purchased four years ago.

What I like
I can paddle solo, either as a day trip or for wilderness paddle.
For wilderness tripping, I find it a good solo boat. As I tend to
pack heavy (leave no trace camping, but definitely not a minimalist),
the Solo plus "only" has enough room for my gear or gear for one person
who packs heavy. When paddling solo, I had used a bent shaft paddle; I
now
use a nine foot kayak paddle. I can easily keep up with
recreational kayakers with the nine foot kayak paddle.

For day trips, I can paddle, solo, with two people or with three people,
using the center seat.

I have raised my center seat; however, the
heels of my feet are still too close to the benchseat
when kneeling. I am just under 6 feet in height, medium build. I
recently have outfitted my canoe similar to whitewater canoeist,
including the knee pads, thigh straps, and foot braces. I do not
plan any serious whitewater with the Solo Plus. It has zero rocker
and tracks quite well. I may use it to traverse through up to easy
class II rapids found on a few rivers in Minnesota.
When the wind picks up and I happen to be on one of the numerous
lakes, especially with a fetch over one mile, I tend to start
kneeling. I also have added a canoe cover. I am also trying to see
if I can eskimo roll the canoe with the cover. I have not yet. I need
to practice wet exits with the thigh straps in place. I have concerns
with getting stuck (heels below the seat).

Slight dislikes
It is Royalex, heavier than the kevlyar. The bow is not as sharp as
with kevlyar canoes. I push more water than I prefer, especially with
the kayak paddle. The Wenonah folks mentioned this before the sale.
The Royalex was less expensive than kevlyar. I also believe the
Royalex is more durable, a concern when wilderness tripping,
especially when solo.

I have never paddled the Prism.

"Harry" wrote in message

Thnx all for your help. I'm going to try the prism and solo plus next
wednesday

Harry