Ed Edelenbos

Default A wave by any other size....

riverman wrote:

Todays trivia question: who is right?

--riverman

The one who asks for a clear definition before he/she tries to tackle
that wave... grin

Ed

Geoff Jennings

Todays trivia question: who is right?

--riverman

Depends if you're in the river or in the surf.

or Hawaii.

Geoff

Jim Wallis

riverman wrote:
Todays trivia question: who is right?

--riverman

Agreed!

I always have to remember to double the surf forecast (and then decrease
a bit for inaccuracy) before trying to get other boaters to go surfing :-)

JIM

Brian Nystrom

riverman wrote:

I always enjoyed the discrepancy between sizing ocean waves and sizing river
waves. Ocean waves are assumed (fairly correctly) to be centered on the
local sea level, with a trough in front and a peak between the troughs. In a
4-foot ocean wave, there is a 4 foot deep trough in front, and a 4 foot high
peak on the wave, leaving an 8 foot wave face.

This is not the way they're forecast by NOAA. A 4' sea is 4' from trough to
peak. Either that, or their forecasts are wildly inflated.

--
Regards

Brian

riverman

"Brian Nystrom" wrote in message

riverman wrote:

I always enjoyed the discrepancy between sizing ocean waves and sizing

river
waves. Ocean waves are assumed (fairly correctly) to be centered on the
local sea level, with a trough in front and a peak between the troughs.

In a
4-foot ocean wave, there is a 4 foot deep trough in front, and a 4 foot

high
peak on the wave, leaving an 8 foot wave face.

This is not the way they're forecast by NOAA. A 4' sea is 4' from trough

peak. Either that, or their forecasts are wildly inflated.

No, you're right. NOAA uses the same standard as river runners: trough to
peak. But surfers (specifically Hawaiin surfers) have their own formula, and
since a lot of the surfer terminology follows the fad, surfers worldwide
tend to follow the Hawaiian model. Which leads to a lot of non-surfers also
following the model, which leads to the confusion. Check out
http://surfing.about.com/library/weekly/aa042001.htm

--riverman

Brian Nystrom

riverman wrote:

No, you're right. NOAA uses the same standard as river runners: trough to
peak. But surfers (specifically Hawaiin surfers) have their own formula, and
since a lot of the surfer terminology follows the fad, surfers worldwide
tend to follow the Hawaiian model. Which leads to a lot of non-surfers also
following the model, which leads to the confusion. Check out
http://surfing.about.com/library/weekly/aa042001.htm

Ah, that explains it, but that sure is a screwy way of measuring waves. As for
East Coasters doubling the wave height...it's BS.

--
Regards

Brian

riverman

riverman wrote:

No, you're right. NOAA uses the same standard as river runners: trough

peak. But surfers (specifically Hawaiin surfers) have their own formula,

and
since a lot of the surfer terminology follows the fad, surfers worldwide
tend to follow the Hawaiian model. Which leads to a lot of non-surfers

also
following the model, which leads to the confusion. Check out
http://surfing.about.com/library/weekly/aa042001.htm

Ah, that explains it, but that sure is a screwy way of measuring waves. As

for
East Coasters doubling the wave height...it's BS.

I can't generalize for ALL east coasters, but it was on the right coast
where I first encountered this. Some fishermen were on a raft trip, and
estimated what I called a 6 foot wave as being a '3 foot wave'. I figured
they just had poor spatial sense, but they explained that other fishermen
also rated the sea swells from midline to peak. I've watched this happen all
over, but never knew where it originated.

--riverman

John Q Adams

Maybe it's just an effort to keep up with the wave heights we experience on
the West Coast.

"Mine's twice as big as yours!"

John Adams