JAXAshby

Default Optimum boat size for singlehandling

One boatshow when I was standing inside a very nice 45 foot boat, just me and
the salesman who didn't have a clew whether I wanted to spend $12 or $12
million, I made casual mention to the fact that I wanted to singlehand a boat,
and had some serious thoughts of doing so offshore. The salesman (who gets
paid more commission for selling me more boat) immediately told me that I
didn't want a boat that size, and I should be looking for something under 38
feet, maaaaaaaaybe 40 feet at the outside. He said I just wouldn't like a
larger boat sailing offshore, as a larger boat is one hell of a lot more
physical effort. I made quick note of this, for I am stronger than most guys
(at the time I was lifting heavy weights for exercise).

For some period of time afterwards, I took care to ask brokers one after
another to recommend a size boat for me, knowing only what I wanted to do, even
as I mentioned my athletic background. Virtually to the man, to the woman,
every broker told me 38 feet was my upper limit, maaaaaaaybe 40 feet if I
watched the weather, but if they personally were going to go offshore
singlehanded 34 feet was probably better, for 34 feet was not too big to handle
without eccessive effort and still had some room to live in once you got to an
anchorage. Strictly for passagemaking, something even smaller might be better,
assuming the boat was up to the effort as a passagemaker.

As I started doing crewing on boats (some clown -- who it turns out was
terrified of bluewater herself, though she had done a fair amount -- convinced
me I needed more offshore experience. She was wrong.), I noticed in short order
that sailors needing crew had boats over 40 feet long, and boats in anchorages
having come from distant places without extra crew were the smaller boats.
Indeed, one guy I know personally circled the Atlantic (starting north to
Ireland in late fall one year) in a 27 foot boat with a Honda outboard and 12
gallons of fuel (later 19 once he got to Europe). Note that the boat had a
wind vane, weather cloths, a wood fired heater, excellent sails and an Origo
stove. Prior, he had taken that same boat out the St Lawrence, down the coast
to the Caribbean and then returned north, saying it was too goddem hot in the
Caribbean.

Not long ago an American grandmother in her 50's finished a solo
circumnavigation in a 31 foot Southern Cross. About 10 years ago a 79
great-grandmother crossed solo from Newfoundland to Ireland in a 30 foot boat.
(The USCG wouldn't let her depart from a US port, so she sailed first to Nwfl
and then on to Europe) When she got to Ireland, a young reporter asked her if
she realized that not only was she the oldest woman to solo cross the North
Atlantic, but she was also the oldest person. The sailor said, no she didn't
know that and she didn't care. One of her sons and two of her grandchildren
sailed the boat back.
Steve

I believe most of the comments, observation and recommendations are right
on.

I had a good boat in my Cheoy Lee Clipper 33. Very easy to single hand even
though it wasn't well suited for a wind vane (ketch) I single handed it for
the 6 years I owned it for coastal sailing and in close quarters.

The only reason I built my Ingrid was because I had moved aboard and
realized that I couldn't spend the rest of my life living in such a small
compact accomodtions..

Now I have the room that I need but when I started building I was in my late
50s, now I'm in my mid 60s.. I have lost a lot of my strength from lighter
activities.. Winches compensate for lack of strength and I expect that I
will eventually regain my upper body strength..

However, in my observation, in the limited time I have been singlehanding my
Ingrid 38 cutter in and around the Pac.NW. The most difficult task for me is
dealing with the larger sail area (volume) and the weight of the sail
cloth.. Big difference between old limp rags on my Cheoy Lee and the
crisp(stiff) sail cloth of a 38 ft'er. Fortunately I have full batten main
with a Dutchman system (may change back to lazy jacks though). I expect the
head sails will be my biggest challenge when it comes time to change to a
different size in the roller furler (I don't consider it a reefing option in
the long haul). I ended up with 3 different head sail sizes. I expect I will
end up using the 110% most of the time..

Getting into too much detail here.

My point. I have two considerations. Liveaboard comfort since I want to make
my boat my permanent home and boat I can singlehand when a crew doesn't
materialize. Now the third consideration, is it too much boat as I get
older..

Will I end up sitting at the dock or in an anchorage because it is too much
work to get the boat ready for a weekend sail??

Must my thoughts, FWIW.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

JAXAshby

lost a lot of my strength from lighter
activities.

suggestion? do *serious* isometric exercises (what women call "yoga", but
without the spiritual stuff, just the serious muscle tensing). Works and works
well, AND you don't have to go the gym. Not much good for endurance training
(it doesn't much raise the heart rate), but sure is good for muscle
toning/strength.

Sherwin Dubren

Hi Jax,
I'm not sure size is the only factor in this case. How well balanced
is the boat becomes a big factor. If it has a strong inherent weather
helm,
you will have to be at the tiller constantly, or have a good
self-steering
system to handle it. Hull shape is important for a boat keeping on
course. The longer full length keels will tend to keep a boat on a
straighter course without much steerage correction. Having a sail plan
which is broken up into distributed masts translates into smaller
individual sails, easier for one person to handle. Having motorized
winches helps in certain cases. Self tending jibs can keep you off the
foredeck when you are needed elsewhere. A reliable engine could be
valuable, if rough weather is encountered. I could go on and on, but
I'm
sure you get the idea about looking into other factors.

Sherwin Dubren

JAXAshby wrote:

[...]

JAXAshby

Sherwin, I think in the end there is a dicotomy. Bigger boats are more
liveaboard friendly, and smaller boats are more eaily sailed by singlehanded
(or even double handed) crew. Large sailboats are soooooooooo much effort to
sail that owners regularly report that even on long passages they find they are
motoring over 50% of the time. As I got into my 50s, I noticed a lot of men
getting out of their 50's were unloading their 36 foot to 40 foots to get
something else, and unloading their 40+ foot boats to get out of sailing
altogether. Sailboat brokers are right now complaining that they are losing
the sales of larger sailboats to trawlers.

JAXAshby wrote:

[...]

Sherwin Dubren

Hi Jax,
I'm not sure about the age factor. In my years of cruising, I would
pass by large boats with young looking crews motoring in beautiful sail
conditions (even with following winds!). These people probably should
have never gotten into sailing in the first place. The day I can't get
off my keester to put up sails (I'm a senior), I'm giving up going to
sea.
Motor sailors have their place, but the tendency there is to be lazy and
fall back on the engine, maybe using the sails to stabilize the boat.
Boating can be a very sedentary sport, so why encourage it? My boat is
22 foot marconi rig, which for the reasons given earlier, is not the
easiest boat to control, but the sailplan is still small enough to give
me
the option to singlehandle, is I so chose. I have a nice quiet 4 stroke
outboard, which I only turn on when I have to.

Sherwin D.