doug

Default paddles on airlines

American Airlines provides a list of sports equipment they allow
without additional charges. Kayak paddles is not on the list.
Contacting AA, they indicated they set policies based on the needs of
the "Large group " of airline passangers. They will review their
policies when enough travelers request a change.

Why travel with a paddle? Kayak tour companies currently provide
boats, but expect one to bring their own paddles. If you ever consider
taking a toured trip which requires air travel please contact the
airlines now and request a policy change. AA may be contacted through
via http://www.aa.com/customerrelations/

Comments I made to AA we
At present kayak paddles are not on the allowable sports equipment
list (At American Airlines). In years past one could carry paddles
through in ski bags. With tighter security this is a less likely
option. Please add kayak paddles to the allowable sports gear list.
This list includes skies as one of the two checked baggage (at no
additional cost) list. Kayak paddles are similar in size, lighter in
weight and as durable. The existing policy makes kayak paddles an
oversize item resulting in an additional fee ($80 each way). Tour
companies offering kayak adventures supply boats, but not paddles.
Please allow the boating community to travel on your airline as you do
with other sporting activities like skiers and fisherman.
Jim Wallis

Since 9/11 carrying paddles in hand luggage has become a bit more
difficult for obvious reasons.

This is going to look like a commercial, sorry if it offends but this is
the best system for flying with paddles!

I've flown to the US 3 times now (with British carriers) and always take
my own paddles. I use Lendal Paddlok splits in 4 pieces and usually get
2 sets in the back of my boat (had to carry 4 sets this time as I had
some new ones for the others!). If you can't or aren't taking a boat a 4
piece paddle should fit into your checked luggage quite easily - it will
be x-rayed to make sure it's nothing dangerous but in the hold it's no
problem!

Many of you are probably wondering what the heck Lendal paddlok splits are?

Lendal are a paddle manufacturer based in Scotland who make IMO a good
range of paddles for both sea and whitewater (although they seem to be
mostly used by sea paddlers over here). Their patented Paddlok system
involves a special arrangement in the button where you can insert an
allen key and tighten and expanding piece in the shaft to make the inner
shaft grip the outer one tightly. I've been using these for 3 years and
have rarely had the shaft slip at all, and then simply tightening a bit
more has sorted it out - they feel exactly the same as paddling with a
one piece paddle. Of course they are a little heavier than an equivalent
one piece, but if you get carbon/nylon or carbon composite blades the
construction is light enough that this doesn't matter. By the way, the
carbon nylon blades are easily the strongest available for the weight,
the straight nylon 12 might be even tougher but are heavier (and cheaper).

As far as blades go, the Kinetic range contains some aggressive
asymmetrics developed from a british race paddle, the mania comes as
symmetric or asymmetric as a general purpose style blade while the newer
mystic and fusion blades are designed for surfing and rodeo. I have
used kinetics as splits for 3 years with manias as my spares (only
needed them once) not only on my US trips but also for a lot of stuff in
Scotland (which is hard on paddles!) and have recently got a set of
superlight mystics (one piece) for my new main paddles.

LENDAL do have a distributor in the US (Scott Lynch I think) and are
apparently growing in popularity - if your local store doesn't have them
ask them to try and find out about them because for flying I really
wouldn't use anything else (even if airlines let you take one piece
paddles they often manage to break them). The only problem is that they
are growing in popularity and the factory gets a bit overwhelmed with
orders from time to time :-)

If you find anything else as good for flying with - spill the beans!

JIM

Mary Malmros wrote:

(doug) writes:

American Airlines provides a list of sports equipment they allow
without additional charges. Kayak paddles is not on the list.

Put it in a padded ski bag and don't offer any information.
I've taken a paddle on American several times.

(I also took four, count 'em, pairs of skis back from Denver last
March in a single bag, hee hee hee)

Mary Malmros

Jim Wallis writes:

Since 9/11 carrying paddles in hand luggage has become a bit more
difficult for obvious reasons.

A bit more difficult? Try "it won't be happening". I put my
brother on the plane yesterday and got to read the long list of
sporting gear that's explicitly prohibited as carryon. All I can
say is, if you can't take ski poles or a hockey stick, they're sure
not gonna let you take a paddle.

--
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mary Malmros

Jim Wallis

That will be a spot of classic British understatement on my part :-)

Last year my friend managed to get his tripod on as hand luggage despite
my warning him they would probably take it off him - well they did take
it off him and lock it away in the crew area during the flight. Not
something I would try having seen the huge bins full of confiscated
items at the security checkpoints!

JIM

Mary Malmros wrote:
Jim Wallis writes:

Since 9/11 carrying paddles in hand luggage has become a bit more
difficult for obvious reasons.

A bit more difficult? Try "it won't be happening". I put my
brother on the plane yesterday and got to read the long list of
sporting gear that's explicitly prohibited as carryon. All I can
say is, if you can't take ski poles or a hockey stick, they're sure
not gonna let you take a paddle.

Dave Manby

I think I should have bought shares in nail scissors manufactures when
this all started. I have lost three pairs to date!

In message akvckb.u71.ln@Eskdale, Jim Wallis
writes

Mary Malmros wrote:
Jim Wallis writes:

Since 9/11 carrying paddles in hand luggage has become a bit more
difficult for obvious reasons.

A bit more difficult? Try "it won't be happening". I put my
brother on the plane yesterday and got to read the long list of
sporting gear that's explicitly prohibited as carryon. All I can
say is, if you can't take ski poles or a hockey stick, they're sure
not gonna let you take a paddle.

--
Dave Manby
Details of the Coruh river and my book "Many Rivers To Run" at
http://www.dmanby.demon.co.uk

Marcos

Jim Wallis wrote in message news:niq7kb.cfh.ln@Eskdale...
snip
If you find anything else as good for flying with - spill the beans!

JIM

I fly with my three piece Werner fiberglass take apart paddle
ferquently. i just put it in my backpack wrapped up in clothes etc
and check it.

it has always come out fine and is a pleasure to use as opposed to
rental paddles.
-mark chilton
Karlos

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 Marcos wrote:
Jim Wallis wrote in message news:niq7kb.cfh.ln@Eskdale...
snip
If you find anything else as good for flying with - spill the beans!

JIM

I fly with my three piece Werner fiberglass take apart paddle
ferquently. i just put it in my backpack wrapped up in clothes etc
and check it.

it has always come out fine and is a pleasure to use as opposed to
rental paddles.
-mark chilton

hey
airlines are usually grand wit paddles,rap em well and thell take them

Ms. Whitewater

I fly with my paddle and all my gear in a ski bag. I wrap my pogies around
the blade, and all the other gear protects the shaft.

I get some interesting comments about flying with ski gear during the
summer. Hehe and when I'm flying, it's not to usual ski destinations
either! Like... Pittsburgh????? Great paddle destination!

Suzie

snip