Diver1055

Default Quarky stearing on a 24 Imperial with a Volvo 290 OD

Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out my friends boat that has a 290 OD. At slow
speed, the steering seems to shoot from one side to another with no vissible
movement from the tiller as seen on the inside of the transom. There is some
play on the the tufe which is housed on the gimble that holds the sterring
cable, but it seems to be pressed in and I do not see a way to secure it.
Though I do not think the play in it is enough to warrant the steering issues.
I also noticed later that the belt that drives the water pump and alternator to
be slipping, as the power steering pump is driven directly off of the water
pump. So I am thinking that there may sudden surges in power steering pressure
causing these eratic steering shifts. We will be replacing that belt but I am
wondering if the power steering pump should be driven off of the water pump, or
should we try to find a way to get it driven from the main pulley.

Thanks

Rick

Jack Redington

Yep: sounds like the the typical displacment speed wander that has been
a feature of every boat that has a single io I have ever driven. does it
track well on plane ? Most likely the skipper will just have to get use
to it..

Capt Jack R..

"Diver1055" wrote in message

[...]

Diver1055

Is this a new problem? Or a new boat? Lots of planning hulls wander from
side to side at low speed.

We have just been trying to get all the bugs out of tis boat so we can use it.
I don't know about wandering being normal, but this is kind of drastic. I have
trouble keeping the boat on one side of the channel while there is traffic
going the other way. People look at me as if I had been drinking its that bad.

Thanks
Rick
Bill Cole

It takes awhile for the boat to respond to the helm. Turn it slightly then
bring the wheel back to "neutral" and wait for the boat to respond. It
sounds to me that you are oversteering the boat.

"Diver1055" wrote in message

Is this a new problem? Or a new boat? Lots of planning hulls wander

from
side to side at low speed.

We have just been trying to get all the bugs out of tis boat so we can use

it.
I don't know about wandering being normal, but this is kind of drastic. I

have
trouble keeping the boat on one side of the channel while there is traffic
going the other way. People look at me as if I had been drinking its that

bad.

Thanks
Rick

---

Paul

I would have thought that surges in the power steering pressure would just
make it suddenly easier or harder to steer, it wouldn't actually change the
rate at which the boat turns for any given input on the wheel. I might be
wrong about that but that was my impression of power steering.

I haven't experienced wandering to any great degree myself, however I have
observed novice drivers not getting the feel of the lag between a steering
wheel input and the resulting change in course. I have seen a boat change
direction almost 90 degrees due to this -- it is amazing to watch,
especially if you're standing beside the helm not wanting to **** off your
wife with helpful advice.

"Diver1055" wrote in message
[...]

Diver1055

It takes awhile for the boat to respond to the helm. Turn it slightly then
bring the wheel back to "neutral" and wait for the boat to respond. It
sounds to me that you are oversteering the boat.

I am well aware of the lag. I even took the boat out of the channel into the
bay and held the wheel neutral for a while to see what would happen. The boat
suddenly wteers itself, I can even see the water thrust shifting from one side
t o another as if the od is going from side to side, it is not possible to see
the od because there is a platform there blocking the view.

Rick