Jack Redington

Default Quarky stearing on a 24 Imperial with a Volvo 290 OD

Yep: sounds like the the typical displacment speed wander that has been
a feature of every boat that has a single io I have ever driven. does it
track well on plane ? Most likely the skipper will just have to get use
to it..

Capt Jack R..

Lawrence James wrote:
Is this a new problem? Or a new boat? Lots of planning hulls wander from
side to side at low speed.

"Diver1055" wrote in message

Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out my friends boat that has a 290 OD. At

slow

speed, the steering seems to shoot from one side to another with no

vissible

movement from the tiller as seen on the inside of the transom. There is

some

play on the the tufe which is housed on the gimble that holds the sterring
cable, but it seems to be pressed in and I do not see a way to secure it.
Though I do not think the play in it is enough to warrant the steering

issues.

I also noticed later that the belt that drives the water pump and

alternator to

be slipping, as the power steering pump is driven directly off of the

water

pump. So I am thinking that there may sudden surges in power steering

pressure

causing these eratic steering shifts. We will be replacing that belt but

I am

wondering if the power steering pump should be driven off of the water

pump, or

should we try to find a way to get it driven from the main pulley.

Thanks

Rick