Default The dinghy problem again

I've given away another dinghy.
So far, over the years, i have tried various dinghies for my 28'
sailboat:
A very heavy 8' Nautilus rigid dinghy that was too large to fit on
the foredeck and too heavy.
A Sevylor inflatable.........nearly worthless.
A Sevylor "Sea Eagle" inflatable kayak, a little better but paddled
poorly.
A home built 2-Paw-9 nesting dinghy, rows very well and almost fits on
the foredeck (I just gave it away)

So, I considered a 10' portabote but it is too long to fit inside the
shrouds on the side deck. An 8' one might work but their capacity is
low. I am 180 lbs wife is about 135, carrying capacity is only about
350 lbs

Another inflatable? This would also mean an engine for it and
carrying gas.

Ideas?

On Jun 13, 11:45*am, I_am_Tosk
wrote:
In article 0c13b1af-61ec-4fb8-b3e9-
,
says...

[...]

Is there a reason you don't want a tow behind? Hell, a nice peanut pram
with a waterproof cover would do what you need from what I can see.

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

Eventually, it has to come aboard when you are crossing any rough
water.

On Jun 13, 1:18*pm, Marc Auslander
wrote:
I suspect you're not going to sea, but doing coastal cruising. *I've
towed my hard dink through pretty wild coastal weather - and
never got into trouble. *A long painter prevents it from riding up
your stern.

Well, I've sailed several times from St. Marks, FL to St Petersburg,
FL, about 140 miles. West palm to West End across the Gulf stream and
am ready to cross from marsh Harbor to Spanish Wells (only 50 miles).
I expect most of my crossings to be less than 200 miles. Towing the
dingy on any of these would have been a pain. I also do not towing a
dinghy in thunderstorms.
I've decided that my current 28' S2 with 3'10" draft is ideal for the
bahamas and anything larger would be too much for me to singlehand.
Her moderate size and shoal draft has gotten me many places a larger
boat could not go which also contributes to some degree of safety.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:02:20 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

Is there a reason you don't want a tow behind? Hell, a nice peanut pram
with a waterproof cover would do what you need from what I can see.

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

Eventually, it has to come aboard when you are crossing any rough
water.

The only thing you are likely to be happy with is one of the roll up
models with an inflatable keel and integral floor slats or
interlocking aluminum panels like the Avons. They typically have a
rigid transom, and some can be used with outboards up to 10 or 15 hp,
although you'll probably want something lighter than that. We still
have our old Avon roll up and usually carry it as a spare.

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:18:09 -0400, Marc Auslander
wrote:

I suspect you're not going to sea, but doing coastal cruising. I've
towed my hard dink through pretty wild coastal weather - and
never got into trouble. A long painter prevents it from riding up
your stern.

Long painters are a mistake if you have a motor. In that case the
painter should stop short of the propeller. You can use a long tow
line with it.

Casady

wrote:

I suspect you're not going to sea, but doing coastal cruising. I've
towed my hard dink through pretty wild coastal weather - and
never got into trouble. A long painter prevents it from riding up
your stern.

Long painters are a mistake if you have a motor. In that case the
painter should stop short of the propeller. You can use a long tow
line with it.

In big seas a long tow line is absolutely necessary. Frankly I don't
understand your distinction between a tow line and a painter unless
you are referring to the painter as the line used for everyday tie up,
as opposed to long distance towing. Best solution for a painter is
floating line like polypro (miserable as it is for other reasons), or
to install some small floats at regular intervals. All this of course
is to prevent the painter from getting sucked into the props
accidently.

On Jun 13, 11:39*pm, I_am_Tosk
wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Well, for protected water I always made the painter about a foot too
short to hit the prop... If I needed more length, I would bend on
another line.

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!- Hide quoted text -

Duh!
That's the norm to keep a boat's own painter out of it's 'OWN'
propellor.
When towing you'd have to have the dinghy right up againt the mother
boat's stern to avoid that problem and then you create others... such
as the dinghy ramming the mother boat.

In article 17128384-3f79-4202-bded-978f41fe1d32
@i4g2000yqg.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jun 13, 11:39*pm, I_am_Tosk
wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Why aren't you over at Harry's new fantastic group?

The dinghy problem Frogwatch General 14 February 28th 10 04:20 PM
Dinghy [email protected] Boat Building 1 May 1st 08 01:12 AM
Dinghy [email protected] General 3 April 30th 08 08:18 PM
Problem with my 1978 Sea Star 165hp Mercruiser Starting Problem smoothz1977 Boat Building 3 June 21st 06 07:04 PM
Cooling problem? Need Advice/Help (also poss. gear problem) ToneJohn General 11 May 14th 05 06:03 PM