Default The dinghy problem

Smaller sailboats like my 28' one still need a dinghy for the
occupants to get to shore when anchored. I have tried inflatables and
rigid ones and neither worked well. Inflatables require a motor
because they row so poorly and the rigid ones take up too much room on
deck. Even my nesting dinghy takes up too much room on deck. This is
why I am interested in the Porta-bote but do I really have to spend
$1500 to find it may not work well?
What I'd like to see would be a dinghy that assembles sorta like a
tent as an inverted tensile structure on a frame with stiffeners of
aluminum across it's beam. Fiberglass rods would insert into sleeves
like a tent and then into a hard bow piece and into a rigid stern
piece. A seat would go across to stiffen it with maybe rigid Al
bottom pieces going across.
Floatation would be built into the rigid stern piece and into the
seat. The fabric would either have to be very tough or very cheap to
replace like Tyvek.
Of course, it should have a keel so it can be rowed and to stiffen it
so it does not "squirm" when it is rowed.
Maybe after I am bored with x-ray stuff I'll work on this.

On 2/26/10 7:16 PM, Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Get yourself some balsa wood, some cheesecloth, some model airplane
dope, and go for it. What could go wrong?

On Feb 26, 7:42*pm, Harry wrote:
[...]

....it wont fly... snerk..... flajim will be there, sniffing all the
dope.....

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 16:16:42 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

[...]

Have you ever seen the Platt Monfort designs? They look very cool but
frankly I've never seen one on the water.

http://www.gaboats.com/

Perhaps you could design one that could be disassembled.

We've seen huge numbers of cruising boats over the last 6 weeks and
two types of dinghies seem to predominate:

1. Small roll up inflatables with a 2 to 4 hp outboard. These are
suitable for calm water in small harbors, and stow easily onboard.

2. Rigid bottom inflatables (RIBs) with larger outboards, typically
10 to 15 hp and towed behind the sailboat in all conditions with boats
of your size range.

A third choice, which I'm seeing less of, is something like an Avon
with roll-up floorboards and a fair sized outboard carried on a stern
pulpit bracket. We used one of these for quite a few years on a 34 ft
sailboat. The dinghy is not that small when rolled up but can be
carried on the bow in front of the mast.

There are no bargains in any of this but the dinghy is a poor place to
save money in my experience.

Since you like to build things, a lightweight plywood skiff that you
could tow behind you might work well. I'd install a small battery and
automatic bilge pump however. Capsize underway is a very real issue
with any towed dinghy.

wrote:
[...]

Wayne:
Thanks for finding the Aerolite page for me as I had forgotten the
name.
Obviously, I did not make it to Cape Coral due to weather but will
next week.
My homebuilt 2-paw-9 nesting dinghy rows very well and after looking
over most options, it may be the least bad option although I do have
to find a way to stop it from snagging my jib sheets.
I've tried towing hard dinghies, they fill with water as you point out
whereas the inflatables are light enough to flop over and not fill.
Basically, I do not consider towing to be a good option.

David

David

Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

Tyvek can only be exposed to the sun for six months max. You may have
seen it flapping in the wind on unsold/unfinished homes.

On Feb 26, 7:10*pm, Bruce wrote:
Frogwatch wrote:
[...]

I went to the St Pete boat show just to see a porta-bote (ok, I went
to see another sailboat too) and really liked it. The reality is that
it might be hard to solve all the problems that company has solved and
do it in a reasonable time and cost so when I get over being cheap I
will probably buy one.

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:10:35 -0500, Bruce wrote:

Tyvek can only be exposed to the sun for six months max. You may have
seen it flapping in the wind on unsold/unfinished homes.

I'm sure you have. The slum you inhabit.

mmc mmc is offline

"Frogwatch" wrote in message
[...]

This one may be gone, but if you shop around ebay and craigslist and have
patience you can get one at a good price.
http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/1602068512.html

Dinghy [email protected] Boat Building 1 May 1st 08 01:12 AM
Problem with my 1978 Sea Star 165hp Mercruiser Starting Problem smoothz1977 Boat Building 3 June 21st 06 07:04 PM
The Best Dinghy! Capt. Rob ASA 1 November 11th 05 02:49 AM
Cooling problem? Need Advice/Help (also poss. gear problem) ToneJohn General 11 May 14th 05 06:03 PM
FS: Dinghy in NY Bobsprit Marketplace 0 April 11th 04 12:58 AM