Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Stroyer

Default Need Floatation ideas for a new canoe

I've got a new 15 ft Pelican Explorer that just had it's first river trip...
When it's full of water and there's no shorline, it's a real bear to get
upright and emptied. Some additional floatation would have been a BIG help.

I've been surfing the net, looking at different types of foam, extruded and
beaded polystyrene (styrofoam), polypropylene, etc., but I'm only coming
across manufacturers... Does anybody out there have any suggestions on
where to get the most effective (and cost-effective) foam? What seems to be
working the best?

Another side thought is that I'd like to keep the canoe as "clean" as I can
inside.... fill up the voids under the seats, some in the bow (although I'm
limited there by the foot room requirement), and a good sized block in the
stern. Any ideas on the best ways to shape the foam for a good fit? I'm
scheming on getting some of the styrofoam granules and making by own casts,
then "shrink-wrapping it before I place it and secure it.....

Yes, I'm a newbie, and no, I'm not an engineer... I'm a physicist.... can ya
tell?

IDEAS???

FS: Canoe in Baltimore Maryland Marty S. Marketplace 0 December 19th 03 04:20 PM
Need books, articles, website to design a canoe (concrete) Pablo Boat Building 5 October 17th 03 12:33 AM
Canoe & Kayak Scams Kills 1,000 Americans Bobo General 55 September 4th 03 02:55 PM
sea nymph canoe HeatMan General 5 August 15th 03 02:50 AM
sea nymph canoe HeatMan General 4 August 13th 03 02:21 PM