Default Sad story, some stupidity, happy ending!

On 01/06/2011 2:35 AM, HarryK wrote:
On 5/31/11 8:41 PM, Gene wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2011 16:47:38 -0400, Florida
wrote:

On 5/31/2011 3:38 PM, Gene wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2011 22:14:07 -0400, Florida
wrote:

On 5/30/2011 9:03 PM, Gene wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2011 11:31:58 -0400, John
wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2011 11:25:27 -0400, wrote:

On Mon, 30 May 2011 11:03:00 -0400, John
wrote:

Given all the troubles I've had with getting the boat started,
which have been due to loose grounds,
leaving switches on, etc, I decided to bring the boat home and
check it out before the outing
planned for yesterday and today.

Great intentions. I tightened the ground on the engine, and
then went to check the hot wire to the
solenoid. Well, lucky me, there was a sticker right there
showing the torque for the nut on the
solenoid! So I got out my trusty Craftsman torque wrench, which
I've used only on my motorcycle, set
it for 8 n-m, and proceeded to tighten the nut.

I couldn't believe how loose it was. After two turns of about
60 degrees with the wrench, I'd still
not felt the 'click' indicating the proper torque had been
achieved. I was surprised at how tight
that damn nut was supposed to be. But, I started to give it
another turn when 'POP', the Bakelite
plastic housing broke off. (Yes, I used a whole lot of foul
language!)

So, I called my local Yamaha guy, who gave me an 'Oh ****,
that's expensive.' He then told me he
couldn't get parts from Yamaha because he'd not sold any new
engines lately. He carried Triumph
brand boats, and as they went bankrupt last year, he's not
gotten any to sell. Upon checking, I
found they've been bought and will be produced in Minnesota
instead of NC.

So, I called TriState Marine, the big Parker and Grady White
dealer up in Deale, MD. They didn't
have the parts, but could order them. For just the solenoid,
the wanted about $570, For the complete
starter assembly, the price was about $700. I almost cried. I
took the boat up so the service guy
could look at it. He recommended leaving it so they could best
determine what was needed. Of course,
that would add another $95/hour labor charge. I left the boat,
thinking I'd probably made a $1000
boo-boo with the torque wrench.

Then I came home and called my buddy, Tim. Tim, after hearing
the story, started ROFLHAO. When I
asked why he was laughing he said he couldn't believe how badly
Yamaha was ripping off people, and
that he could get the whole starter assembly (a Hitachi
product) for about $85. So, based on the
advice of Tim, I went back to Deale and got my boat back.

Thanks, Tim. You're a lifesaver.

And, you'd *better* make a reasonable profit on this deal!!
Did you get foot pounds mixed up with some commie metric
designation?

If this is just a solenoid I think I might get creative. I know
Mercury wanted about $35 for a solenoid for my old Mariner 75
that I
could get at the lawn tractor repair for $8. Same part.

My neighbor got a quote of over $700 for the high pressure fuel
pump
for his Merc 115, with the promise that this was a deal, it
listed for
over a grand. I-Boats has it for under $200. I can only believe
they
were selling him the whole vapor separator assembly or something.
The last I heard the same "stealer" was going to allow him to
extend
his extended warranty (that expired a few weeks ago) and they would
fix it for "free".
No, my torque wrench has both units on it. I'm used to using it
for head bolts. The 'click' I'm used
to is easy to hear and feel. At 8 n-m, the 'click' barely
registers and I passed it completely.
Later, using a vise, I played around with it and realized my
mistake. I almost took the damn thing
back to Sears, but it wasn't the wrench. It was the wrencher.
Lesson... do NOT trust a Craftsman Torque Wrench. They aren't worth
the powder to blow them to hell.... and we've probably been through a
dozen of them.....

Finally broke down and bought Snap-On digital wrenches..... problem
solved. 8 N-m is just short of 6 ft-lbs or 72 in-lbs...... trust me,
you don't have a wrench that will go that low...

you need a torque "screwdriver" to go that low....

Lesson 2.... a wrench will not accurately measure everything on the
"dial."

It is good that we have knowledgeable, honest, stand-up guys like Tim
here.....

There used to be more like him but your buddy Harry drove them off.
Well, "buddy," if you and you "buddies" were smart enough not to egg
him on, that wouldn't have happened, huh? If you want somebody to
blame, go look in a mirror.... or better yet, just keep doing what you
are doing....

You aren't suggesting that we are manipulating Krause, are you? Krause
ought to be able to stand up and be accountable for his actions, don't
you think?

Obviously, (as I've posted before), Harry is the sound of one hand
clapping, without his detractors responses, there would be no
sound....

if you wish, you can describe yourself as one hand clapping and
without Harry, there would be no sound....

either way, you are both equally at fault for allowing this stupidity
to continue....

Gene,
I have never done anything but try to encourage a group where boating
discussions are encouraged and personal insults are not allowed. The
conservativetrash pricks who infest this newsgroup have ruined this group.

Hey harryk, you have consistently been one of the worst offenders for
YEARS!!!

2 on topic posts about boats the other day, you passed them right on by
to spam this group with your narcissistic love-in group that no one
cares about. Often, you chirp with nothing to say but a flea type bite.

Don't ask me how you got into boating, most boaters I know tend to be
conservative and independent as 10 miles from shore Obama isn't going to
be there to wipe your ass. You tend to be needy and greedy fleabagger
type.

And people would be stupid to give you personal information so they can
join what, 3 or 4 fleaaggers?

Hey, how come you even come back to this group? Just fleabag'n.
--
Government isn't the solution to the bad economy, it is the problem.

wrote:

[...]

And once again you are responding to an ID spoofer, moron.

--
Want to discuss recreational boating and fishing in a forum where
personal insults are not allowed?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec-boating-fishing

wrote:

[...]

Poor dumb Dave Canuck57.

wrote:

[...]

Poor fleabagger harryk.... typical poster child fleabagger.

Hey, Obama be broke, what are you going to do when social assistance
does not come?

--
Government isn't the solution to the bad economy, it is the problem.

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 17:46:06 -0400, Gene wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 15:34:40 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 15:00:28 -0400, Gene wrote:

snippage

either way, you are both equally at fault for allowing this stupidity
to continue....

I'm really happy to see the word 'equally'. I'm guessing you meant equally with Harry? So he *is*
part of the problem?

Haven't I been saying that for years? Or really, not just Harry... it
is his "side" vs. your "side."

Two sandboxes full of kids lobbing sand at each other, neither will
quit, and both swear that the other sandbox is at fault.....

You ignored this one:

My idol.... indeed... I don't think I suggested that everybody cares,
but most people won't be as acerbic as we have here, when they are
posting with their own name.... especially those with a new handle
every day. Are you making excuses for them? Are they YOUR idols?

No, and you'll find that I've tried to get them to stop, several times. How often have you tried to
get Harry or Donnie (North Star??) to knock off their incessant ****?

I don't converse with Scotty or Loogy any more. Both of them display the maturity of a two-year
old.
******************

I've still not seen you attempt to squelch Harry's acerbic postings? Why?

Because you have chosen not to see it, I guess.....

Gene, you are just far too subtle for me.

I've had enough public and private correspondence with Harry to know
he isn't going to stop.... just like many of the rest. Asking people
to stop hasn't and, I believe, won't work. Ignoring the inappropriate
posts will, but that takes resolve.... and most of the flamers here
have resolved to BE flamers..... digital Hatfields and McCoys.....

At least you see the problem is on both sides. That's good.

In article ,
says...

[...]

I think Gene follows the old adage of praise in public and criticize in
private. He has to we have never seen him criticize Harry in public.

On Jun 2, 7:28*pm, BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

private. He has to we have never seen him criticize Harry in public.- Hide quoted text -

Y'all girliemen sure are concerned with Gene.....
What's the matter..does it fustrate you that he steers his own course
and doesn't toe the doper line?

On 6/2/11 7:12 PM, North Star wrote:
On Jun 2, 7:28 pm, wrote:
In ,
says...

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 15:00:28 -0400, wrote:

snippage

[...]

The boys remind me of the Borg Collective from Star Trek...mindless
automatons who are told what to say and think by Fox News and engineered
to act and think collectively. They simply cannot tolerate those who do
not buy into their simple-minded mindset. There isn't an intellectual
among them.

--
Want to discuss recreational boating and fishing in a forum where
personal insults are not allowed?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec-boating-fishing

On Thu, 02 Jun 2011 19:49:06 -0400, Gene wrote:

On Thu, 2 Jun 2011 18:28:54 -0400, BAR wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

OK, genius.... how do I "attempt to squelch Harry's acerbic postings?"
How's it working for y'all...?

Follow him mindlessly.

It's not working too well for us either. But, at least we hit both sides. You sure as hell don't.
(Although your 'private' stuff may come down hard on the boys.)

In article 5f02c5fb-64fb-4cf0-a380-e2fd428d18b6
@f2g2000yqh.googlegroups.com, says...

On Jun 2, 7:28*pm, BAR wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Why don't you go post this **** to Harry's new group? Oh, wait there's
no one there to listen to your childish crap.

An old, sad story hk General 1 April 8th 10 11:42 PM
A cute, but sad, story... John[_6_] General 7 December 16th 08 01:14 AM
Sad golf story..somewhat OT JohnH General 9 December 8th 06 03:11 PM
A happy ending to this potential tragedy, and some good advice...... [email protected] General 0 April 11th 06 10:35 PM
Sad boat story Tamaroak General 9 April 12th 05 11:48 PM