Default Dang It!

The world would have been a better place without them...

Apocalypse not now: The Rapture fails to materialise

Christian doomsday prophet Harold Camping had predicted the world would
end at 6pm on Saturday

guardian.co.uk, Saturday 21 May 2011 11.41 BST

Christian doomsday prophet Harold Camping looks likely to be less than
rapturous after his prediction that the world would end on Saturday
failed to materialise.

The 89-year-old Californian preacher had prophesied that the Rapture
would begin at 6pm in each of the world's time zones, with those "saved"
by Jesus ascending to heaven and the non-believers being wiped out by an
earthquake rolling from city to city across the planet.

But as the deadline for the Apocalpyse passed in the Pacific islands,
New Zealand and Australia, it became apparent that Camping's prediction
of the end of the world was to end not with a bang but with a whimper.

Only on Twitter did the supposed armageddon sweep the world, with users
expressing their mock disappointment at the lack of dead people rising
from their graves.

New Zealander Daniel Boerman tweeted: "I'm from New Zealand, it is
6:06PM, the world has NOT ended. No earthquakes here, all waiting for
the rapture can relax for now. #Rapture"

In Australia, Jon Gall of Melbourne was unimpressed by the lack of fire
and brimstone. He tweeted: "#Rapture time here in Melbourne. A rather
quiet sort of rapture if you ask me.

"Well we have had the #Rapture going for 50 minutes now. So far it
hasn't interrupted my fish & chips and glass of stout."

In Brisbane, KillaJeules, was similarly disappointed by the lack of a
Hollywood blockbuster ending: "So it's 6:37pm here in Brisbane,
Australia. No earthquakes. No beaming up of Christians. No zombie
apocalypse. No surprises haha."

Camping, a retired civil engineer, has built a multimillion-dollar,
non-profit ministry based on his apocalyptic predictions. He previously
predicted that the world would end in 1994. It is difficult to know how
many of his followers took his latest prophecy seriously, though his
Family Radio Worldwide reaches millions of listeners in the US and
around the world.

Some have reportedly sold all their possessions and taken to the streets
to warn people to prepare for the second coming of Jesus. In recent
weeks, callers to Christian radio stations in the US have debated what
to do about non-believing friends and neighbours who will be left behind
to endure the wrath of God.

But it looks like it will be atheists and other skeptics celebrating
this weekend, with tongue-in-cheek doomsday parties planned across the US.

TV scientist Professor Brian Cox summed up the mood of the
non-beleivers. He tweeted: "I think we should all pretend the #rapture
is happening so that when Harold Camping gets left behind later today
he'll be livid."

But Kieran Healy had a slightly more comforting message for those
disappointed at not joining Jesus: "I guess on Sunday when the #Rapture
people feel really upset, we can't console them by saying 'Cheer up,
it's not the end of the world.'"

Gotta love this part:

"Some have reportedly sold all their possessions and taken to the
streets to warn people to prepare for the second coming of Jesus. In
recent weeks, callers to Christian radio stations in the US have debated
what to do about non-believing friends and neighbours who will be left
behind to endure the wrath of God."

Religious morons. Everyone knows Jesus is on vacation.

On 5/21/2011 7:23 AM, Harryk wrote:

Religious morons. Everyone knows Jesus is on vacation.

Idiot!

On Sat, 21 May 2011 07:23:38 -0400, Harryk
wrote:

[...]

Oh I'm so glad... the clothing market is so good right now! I didn't
want it to be ruined with all that extra clothing.

Dang It! Paul@BYC[_2_] General 8 January 20th 11 08:33 PM
Dang - I had forgotten... Tom Francis - SWSports General 5 December 2nd 08 01:29 PM
Dang! I missed it! Tim General 5 July 18th 08 04:54 PM
Dang! It wasn't the dodger snaps. Roger Long Cruising 4 May 25th 06 01:13 AM