Tim Tim is offline

Default Dang! I missed it!

Oh well....

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/repor...-to-Earth.aspx

Tim wrote in
:

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/repor...nd-its-moon-pa
ss-close-to-Earth.aspx

Well, the commercial video played, but no response, of course, from
CONTENT.

Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 18, 12:07*am, Larry wrote:
Tim wrote :

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/repor...nd-its-moon-pa
ss-close-to-Earth.aspx

Well, the commercial video played, but no response, of course, from
CONTENT.

that always blows, but the artical about the asteroid was there,
wasn't it?

Tim wrote in
:

On Jul 18, 12:07*am, Larry wrote:
Tim wrote
innews:978521d6-84cc-4c8b-9f62-65480f9c71

:

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/repor...eroid-and-its-

moon-
pa
ss-close-to-Earth.aspx

Well, the commercial video played, but no response, of course, from
CONTENT.

that always blows, but the artical about the asteroid was there,
wasn't it?

Yes, very interesting. I'd seen asteroids with moons attached before,
somewhere.

When I was about 15, a friend and I were camped out in the woods atop
Parson's Falls, which drops about 400' down a shale rock cliff just NW
of Moravia, NY, my home town. The property was owned by an old Onondaga
indian man who used to come sit by our fire, coming through the woods in
teh pitch black without making a sound and scaring the hell out of us by
simply appearing out of the blackness.

On a week's camping trip to the falls, which, by the way, you can see on
Google Earth if you follow the West Hill Road to the top of West Hill
right where the road turns at the top to the right of the road down in
the woods, we had settled in for the night about midnight as the fire
died down and we crawled into our tent and sleeping bags. I was nearly
asleep when a bomb went off, a tremendous explosion that moved the earth
under my bag. Two boys were then WIDE awake, precharged with
adrenaline. We saw a light a ways out of camp up the hill and a small
fire surrounded it. Taking our water bucket to put the fire out from
the creek, we went to investigate.

A huge hole had been bored into the earth by a very hot, very blood red
object about the size of a grapefruit that sat at the bottom of this
hole smoking and hissing away from the heat of entry through the
atmosphere. We got the fire out in the woods, but I stopped my friend
from pouring water onto the hot meteor for fear of it exploding from the
heat stress and we decided it would be best to let it cool in the hole
until morning light. We just sat there, stunned, the rest of the night,
worrying about more bombs coming into our battlefield from the aliens.
(Young boys have a great imagination, don't they?) No ship arrived to
collect its probe, so it was almost noon before we could get the still
hot object out of the hole to cool it in the creek for transport home
two days before we were supposed to be home. We couldn't have slept on
the falls any more that week unless it was in the daytime, anyways, and
we had a trophy like no other that HAD to be shown off!

I suppose the hole it made is still up on the top of the falls under
leaves and tree limbs in the 47 years since the event. My crystal radio
is still running up the top of the power line road inside a rusty lunch
pail, right where I left it when I was 12. (Please put the headphones
back in the pail and seal the lid if you go up to have a listen. Last
time I listened was in 1986.)

We took our meteor to our science teacher, Mr. Jenks, who contacted the
astronomy department of Cornell University to see if they were
interested in it and could tell us what it was made of. You bet they
were interested! We got an invitation to come to the university for a
tour of the department and to watch them slice into it and test. We
were met by a young astronomer named Carl Sagan, who headed the
department.....Yes, THAT Carl Sagan. The rock was mostly iron and
silica with a slight trace of something radioactive they couldn't
immediately identify. It was also quite magnetic and had 8 definate
poles around its surface.

Part of the rock Cornell kept and the rest of it was displayed in our
high school main display case with our picture up on Parson's Falls.
The picture was faked as the local newspaper guy took pictures of the
hole and us a couple of weeks later.

Your asteroid is a little larger than ours and ours had no moon of its
own....except two boys it scared to death when it landed....(c; If I
hadn't been nearly asleep, I may have jumped off the falls! It was 2
years before we made camp up there, again. We'd discovered that girls
had a certain attraction MUCH more powerful than the magnetism of the
rock-from-space and these new aliens were all soft and warm when petted
in a certain way....(c;

Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 18, 10:00*am, Larry wrote:
Tim wrote :

On Jul 18, 12:07*am, Larry wrote:
[...]

in a certain way....(c;- Hide quoted text -

Great job!~ At elast it didn't land in your sleeping bag!

?: )

Tim wrote in news:93a77162-3791-4203-807e-
:

Great job!~ At elast it didn't land in your sleeping bag!

That thought HAD crossed our minds.....It missed by about 200 yards.