Default I owe my soul to the company store...

May 19, 2011
Mine Owner’s Negligence Led to Blast, Study Finds
By SABRINA TAVERNISE
NYT

WASHINGTON — In the first comprehensive state report on the 2010 coal
mine disaster in West Virginia, an independent team of investigators put
the blame squarely on the owner of the mine, Massey Energy, concluding
that it had “made life difficult” for miners who tried to address safety
and built “a culture in which wrongdoing became acceptable.”

The report, released Thursday by an independent team appointed by the
former West Virginia governor, Joe Manchin III, and led by the former
federal mine safety chief Davitt McAteer, echoed preliminary findings by
federal officials that the blast could have been prevented if Massey had
observed minimal safety standards.

But it was more pointed in naming Massey as the culprit, using blunt
language to describe what it said was a pattern of negligence that
ultimately led to the deaths of 29 miners on April 5, 2010, in the worst
American mining disaster in 40 years.

“The story of Upper Big Branch is a cautionary tale of hubris,” the
report concluded. “A company that was a towering presence in the
Appalachian coalfields operated its mines in a profoundly reckless
manner, and 29 coal miners paid with their lives for the corporate
risk-taking.”

In a statement on Thursday, Massey Energy’s general counsel, Shane
Harvey, disputed some of the report’s findings. Seventeen company
executives refused to be interviewed, a choice Mr. McAteer called “most
unfortunate.”

The 120-page report offered a scathing indictment of Massey practices at
the mine, called Upper Big Branch, pieced together through months of
interviews, and analyzing documents, data and correspondence.

Workers at the mine knew that conditions were bad, and the report opens
with a passage about one miner’s fears the day before he died in the
disaster.

“Man, they got us up there mining, and we ain’t got no air,” the
miner, Gary Wayne Quarles, told a friend, who talked to investigators.
“I’m just scared to death to go to work because I’m just scared to death
something bad is going to happen.”

The report goes on to say that a “perfect storm” was brewing inside the
mine, of poor ventilation, equipment whose safety mechanisms were not
functioning and combustible coal dust, “behaving like a line of
gunpowder carrying the blast forward in multiple directions.”

Investigators flatly rejected the conclusion offered by Massey
officials — that the explosion occurred because a giant burst of
methane bubbled from the ground, an event that would have been
impossible to predict or control.

For more, see:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/20/us...e.html?_r=1&hp
jps jps is offline

On Thu, 19 May 2011 16:54:46 -0400, Harryk
wrote:

[...]

The people responsible for these decisions should be prosecuted and in
jail. Of course, that'll never happen since industry lobbyists will
spread whatever sum of cash around DC to ensure that congress hasn't
the numbers to pursue.

Will the justice department pursue? They don't seem to have the
stomach to prosecute white collar crime in other than the most
egregious cases, of which this might be one.

wrote:

[...]

Hey...just a bunch of working stiffs were killed...certainly not
important enough to ruffle the feathers of our corporationist society.
Reckless endangerment and manslaughter, with a mininum 10-year prison
term for the mine operators would be appropriate.

wrote:

[...]

Does that include the union man who did nothing?

LMAO.
--
Take a look at ANY country, more debt is more problems. So why do we
allow our governments more debt? Selfishness, greed, denial, ignorance?

And we owe it all to... Harry  General 5 July 19th 10 06:35 AM
Here's another one for your soul.... JustWait General 2 September 19th 09 05:31 AM
Dems owe me [email protected] General 67 November 8th 08 12:18 PM
Why Bobsprit is a lost soul Martin Baxter ASA 7 November 11th 05 12:24 PM
Why Bobsprit is a lost soul Bozo ASA 0 November 9th 05 07:44 PM