mike hicks

Default alpha intake nut

OK, so my boat's on its trailer in the front yard because of Isabel and
I decide to remove some of the barnacles on it instead of cleaning up
lawn debris and while I'm at it I manage to drop the nut that holds the
little plastic cooling water intake grate onto the side of my Alpha
drive down the propeller exhaust hole! Of course the nut that
Mercruiser chose to use isn't the standard size nut for that thread
(it's smaller) so I'll have to go by a new one only they probably don't
sell just the nut so I'll probably have to buy a whole new outdrive. My
real question is (finally) what will having that little nut rattling
around in there do? I assume it will fall out as soon as I plop the
thing back in the water and start up the engine but is there anything in
there it can hurt?

JLSAVARD

If you go to an automotive parts/accessories store, you can buy a small magnet
on a rod. Perhaps you can fish it out with that.

Other than that, I don't know what damage might happen. Possibly none.

Joe
RG

"mike hicks" wrote in message
OK, so my boat's on its trailer in the front yard because of Isabel and
I decide to remove some of the barnacles on it instead of cleaning up
lawn debris and while I'm at it I manage to drop the nut that holds the
little plastic cooling water intake grate onto the side of my Alpha
drive down the propeller exhaust hole! Of course the nut that
Mercruiser chose to use isn't the standard size nut for that thread
(it's smaller) so I'll have to go by a new one only they probably don't
sell just the nut so I'll probably have to buy a whole new outdrive. My
real question is (finally) what will having that little nut rattling
around in there do? I assume it will fall out as soon as I plop the
thing back in the water and start up the engine but is there anything in
there it can hurt?

Pick up your boat and hold it over your head, then rotate it every which way
it while shaking it. The nut should fall right out. Of course at that
point it will just get lost in all the lawn debris that you didn't clean up
because you decided to fart around with your outdrive instead. If that
doesn't work, perhaps you could remove the prop and run the engine on muffs.
Rev the engine a couple of times while in neutral (very briefly, they don't
like high RPM's while on the muffs) and see if you can blow the nut out from
exhaust pressure. Probably would be a good idea to put a tarp or something
underneath the drive so that if the nut does come out, you have half a
chance of finding it.

Clams Canino

Hehehe

In the time it took to type the question - I couldda fished the nut out.

Tough room today......... LOL

-W

"mike hicks" wrote in message
OK, so my boat's on its trailer in the front yard because of Isabel and
I decide to remove some of the barnacles on it instead of cleaning up
lawn debris and while I'm at it I manage to drop the nut that holds the
little plastic cooling water intake grate onto the side of my Alpha
drive down the propeller exhaust hole! Of course the nut that
Mercruiser chose to use isn't the standard size nut for that thread
(it's smaller) so I'll have to go by a new one only they probably don't
sell just the nut so I'll probably have to buy a whole new outdrive. My
real question is (finally) what will having that little nut rattling
around in there do? I assume it will fall out as soon as I plop the
thing back in the water and start up the engine but is there anything in
there it can hurt?

mike hicks

JLSAVARD wrote:
If you go to an automotive parts/accessories store, you can buy a small magnet
on a rod. Perhaps you can fish it out with that.

Other than that, I don't know what damage might happen. Possibly none.

Joe

I have one of those dohickeys but the nut is stainless and so won't be
attracted by the magnet. The biggest problem is it's dark and spooky in
there and I can't see the little jewel. It probably bounced back out
and is lying in the lawn debris.

BTW- we finally got our power back on last night, 11 days with no cable
(and cold showers).

mike hicks

RG wrote:
"mike hicks" wrote in message

[...]

I vill staht pumping iron in preperation for this. Just my luck though
I'll probably look up just as the little nut falls out and it'll hit me
in the eye!! Then I'll drop the boat on my foot which will anger me so
much that I'll kick the stupid thing with my good foot breaking it too.
Now I'll have two broken feet and I still won't have that little nut.
Ah, boats suck.

Actually I'm going to try the muffs without the prop on. That'll get it
out anyway, even if I can't find it once it shoots out. The boat's a
low priority until I get the lawn debris cleaned up (there's a LOT). I
don't want to take it out since the bay is full of floating things.
Things that can hurt my precious, nutless boat!!

--
Mike Hicks
Swales Aerospace