Capt. Frank

Default Alpha One or Bravo 3?

The major advantages of a Bravo-III are you get a 15% extra thrust
advantage resulting in fuel savings. (according to Westside Marine) and
the Bravo family of drives are made of heavier materials (Weigh a little
more too.) The Duo-prop system greatly reduces low speed "wobble" which
can be annoying if you are trying to troll or just going for a slow
putt. Also the Bravo 3 lower unit is interchangeable with the Bravo II
single prop drive. True the bravo units are more expensive (and the prop
set for the B-3 are $1500.00 bucks) but in the long run are a much
better and heavier duty unit. One thing though. The BravoIII is subject
to corrosion due to the stainless props. Be sure to change your zincs at
least bi-monthly if the boat lives at a dock in salt water or twice a
year if you keep it on a trailer. Also I recommmend you take the USCG
boating safty course.

a HREF="/cgauxweb/public/ABC.htm"America's Boating Course/a

Regards,

Capt. Frank
la Dolce Vita
Formula 26 PC

Wyld64man wrote:

Would like some opinions from the readers of this group. I am thinking of
trading my 18 ft Four Winns bowrider in on a new Sea Ray 200 Sundeck. The
Sundeck weighs 3500 lbs. If I spend approx $1300.00 extra I can order it with
a Bravo 3 drive instead of the Alpha One. The engine for either drive would be
the 5.0 MPI Mercruiser which is rated at 260 hp. I have seen Alpha One drives
on much heavier boats (4500 lbs.) However I have heard lots of great things
about the Bravo 3 and the Volvo Duoprop.....hold the boat on plane better at
low speed, reverse is straight, no stern walking due to prop effects etc. Much
beefier drive too. The Alpha One with the MPI engine will come standard with a
stainless steel prop. The Volvo Duoprop is not available on the Sea Ray, I
just mentioned it because it is also a counter rotating drive. I do most of my
boating on a 450 acre inland lake, although I sometimes trailer the boat to
Lake St. Clair. I live in SE Michigan.

Opinions will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in
advance.

Ken