Default 2 Die in Local Bay Boating Mishap

In article ,
says...

I_am_Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 14:57:23 -0400, I_am_Tosk
wrote:

In ,
says...
On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:47:37 -0400, Gene
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:14:17 -0400,
wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

Yeah, my Brockway is 7 feet wide, and 16 feet long, But being open it is
all floor space. It's great for one and ok for two... Any more than that
is just too crowded. As to handling our old Colombian was 20 feet and
not too bad in a chop, but it had a real small cockpit so for crusing it
was ok for 4, fishing, two was crowded...

Does yours ride like this one?

http://tinyurl.com/2cjhrxo
That really looks like the loading ramp at Lake Jocasse.... and the
weather looks almost as threatening as the last time we were there....

Poor guy needs to learn how to load a boat and trim an engine....
Yes, both. The boat is actually doing what it is supposed to do,
just needs more weight in the bow and a tad more down-trim on the
engine. My brother and I had a flat bottomed skiff like that on Lake
Ontario when we were kids. We had a big slab of limestone that we'd
put in the bow when going out with only one of us on board. It would
plane out at 16 or 17 mph with just a 7 1/2 hp Merc.
What the boat really needs is the proper sized engine for hull speed,
which is what it is designed for. Not a big engine like this guy (and
mine) to make it plane...
Hull speed !?

That's trawler talk for when you need to get 70,000 lbs of boat from
point A to point B without using a king's ransom in fuel. ;-)

Small boats are meant to plane - it's just a lot more fun.

Real Brockways were designed to be pushed around by cheap single digit
horsepower motors before light, high horsepower motors were widely
available cheap... These "small flat bottomed rowboats" as harry notes,
are not designed to move on plane. They were designed for close to home
work and very shallow waters in the Connecticut and Housatonic rivers in
CT.. Mostly by shad and scallop fishermen. They are not comfortable on
plane and don't have skegs as originally designed, they are not "meant
to get on plane"...

On the other hand, they can get on plane of course but they are sketchy
on plane, especially when the water isn't like glass... Most notable is
the stories of chine walk and lost equipment

Unless there is something peculiar about the bottom of a Brockway, it's
just another flat-bottomed skiff-rowboat, and can be made to plane
decently with the right power and load balance. When I was a kid, I
messed around in dozens of flat-bottomed rowboats that could be powered
up and made to plane with a 7-1/2 hp outboard. Everyone I knew at the
beach had a rowboat with a small outboard. Naturally, because of their
flat bottoms, they bounced in a chop.

My favorites were an Amsbury dory and a nice plywood skiff made by a
company called "Skimmar." The bottom of the Skimmar's bow was turned up
a little. Both of these boats would plane with minimum horsepower and
neither exhibited chine walk.

They are not Brockways. Brockways were used with big engines, but not
designed for it, and two sideways two by sixes, don't provide
directional stability... See harry, I have actually been in them, not
just read about it..

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

I_am_Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

[...]

BTW, here is a site with plans for a 14' Brockway...

http://intheboatshed.net/2008/09/10/...rockway-skiff/

If you download the plans, you'll see the boat has a small keel, just
like most other plywood flat-bottomed boats of this sort. I don't recall
seeing many plywood skiffs or rowboats with skegs, but most did have a
strip of wood running from the bow to the stern along the bottom. The
strip provided a bit of directional stability so the boat would track
properly.

If you download the plans.. They are from someone else, not Earle
Brockway. I have a set of the "only" set of plans for a Brockway,
sanctioned by Brockway and given to me by the two Professors who put
them together for him, there are two 2x6s laid on their sides as
sacrificial skid planks, not skegs.. And because I have built and used
boats directly from his plans I can tell you with certainty, they don't
provide any directional stability.. But go ahead Harry, google some more
stupid...

Well, then, if they don't provide any directional stability, you should
have modified the plans so they did. Why build a boat with a directional
stability problem?

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

I_am_Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

[...]

Don't be such a dope.. Didn't google tell you that quite possibly I did
modify the ones I built? Or not, if they were to be used as originally
designed.. Either way, you don't know, so why open your fat mouth again?

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

I_am_Tosk wrote:
In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

[...]

You were whining that your Brockway skiff had handling problems. You'd
think an "experienced" boat builder like you would have figured out how
to solve that simple problem.

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

I_am_Tosk wrote:
In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

[...]

Nope, I was talking about rowboats that are outfitted with illegally
large engines, having problems. This is why most here don't bother
addressing your fantasy...

You'd
think an "experienced" boat builder like you would have figured out how
to solve that simple problem.

You'd think a supposed son of a marina owner would know the difference
between a rowboat and a planing hull. But then again, you made up your
life experience, most here actually did the stuff you read about and
claim as your own here...

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

I_am_Tosk wrote:
In articleurydncLVjtKdpynQnZ2dnUVZ_uOdnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

[...]

All the flat-bottomed rowboats my father sold, and he sold hundreds if
not thousands of them, would plane with a small engine. We're taking
7-1/2 to 15 hp Evinrudes, and, for a dinghy, maybe a 3 hp.

What I've learned today is that you really don't know **** about small
boats.

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

I_am_Tosk wrote:
In articleurydncLVjtKdpynQnZ2dnUVZ_uOdnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

[...]

Duh, any flat bottom boat will plane with enough power, that's not the
point. Of course the point you can't address is rowboats are not
designed to plane. The original Brockways were not designed to plane.
The plans you suggested were not Brockway's plans, I have a set of
Brockway's plans, and the boat was not designed to plane, much less
carry the heavy motors it would take to plane a 24 footer back then.

So what we have learned today is you will say anything to be an asshat,
no matter what the subject is... And of course, your whole thing about
growing up at a marina was obviously bull**** too....

I_am_Tosk wrote:
In article3JmdnRz7kuvR3CnQnZ2dnUVZ_o6dnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In articleurydncLVjtKdpynQnZ2dnUVZ_uOdnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

[...]

D'oh...we were discussing rowboats, not 24-footers. Unless you are into
24-foot rowboats. The rowboats my father sold ranged from 9 feet to 16
feet (the biggest Amsbury dory he sold), and you could row that
16-footer, but...you wouldn't want to do so.

There are or were plenty of rowboats that were designed to row or with a
small motor, plane.

Once again, you demonstrate your stupidity, pigheadedness and ignorance.

What do you do when you see a boat you built out on the river, planing?
Call the police?

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

I_am_Tosk wrote:
In articleurydncLVjtKdpynQnZ2dnUVZ_uOdnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

[...]

Please try to keep up Harry... Read up on rowing hulls and planing hulls
and what each is designed for. More specifically look up Brockways, the
real ones, not the ones that have been copied (with permission of the
family) and heavily modified in Rhode Island.

I am done with you, thought I might give a boating discussion a try with
you but like in the last few moderated forums you have been kicked off
of, you just can't help being a know it all, asshat...

I_am_Tosk wrote:
In articlegfSdnQKwxvoP2CnQnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In articleurydncLVjtKdpynQnZ2dnUVZ_uOdnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

[...]

Gee, I thought we were discussing rowboats. Now you want to discuss
"rowing hulls." I guess a rowing shell would be hard pressed to
accommodate a big outboard, eh?