Default 2 Die in Local Bay Boating Mishap

http://tinyurl.com/44ktuns

Four guys from Pennsylvania were fishing for stripers yesterday, leaving
out of Breezy Point Marina, where I kept my Parkers. 28' boat. The water
was choppy, but not a problem for a boat that size. It began to take on
water. One of the fishermen successfully swam to shore; the other three
were plucked out of the water. Two of the latter died.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:48:58 -0400, Harryk
wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/44ktuns

Four guys from Pennsylvania were fishing for stripers yesterday, leaving
out of Breezy Point Marina, where I kept my Parkers. 28' boat. The water
was choppy, but not a problem for a boat that size. It began to take on
water. One of the fishermen successfully swam to shore; the other three
were plucked out of the water. Two of the latter died.

Not many 28 ft boats carry life rafts but it looks like that is about
the only thing that could have saved them.

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/44ktuns

Four guys from Pennsylvania were fishing for stripers yesterday, leaving
out of Breezy Point Marina, where I kept my Parkers. 28' boat. The water
was choppy, but not a problem for a boat that size. It began to take on
water. One of the fishermen successfully swam to shore; the other three
were plucked out of the water. Two of the latter died.

Not many 28 ft boats carry life rafts but it looks like that is about
the only thing that could have saved them.

Some articles are calling the boat a 23'er and saying it capsized. If they caught a fish and four
guys ran to the side to look over, I could see it capsizing in the choppy waters of the bay.

wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/44ktuns

Four guys from Pennsylvania were fishing for stripers yesterday, leaving
out of Breezy Point Marina, where I kept my Parkers. 28' boat. The water
was choppy, but not a problem for a boat that size. It began to take on
water. One of the fishermen successfully swam to shore; the other three
were plucked out of the water. Two of the latter died.

Not many 28 ft boats carry life rafts but it looks like that is about
the only thing that could have saved them.

Some articles are calling the boat a 23'er and saying it capsized. If they caught a fish and four
guys ran to the side to look over, I could see it capsizing in the choppy waters of the bay.

Well, that makes more sense...trailering a 23-footer down from PA is
more likely than trailering a 28-footer. Still...I was down a BP
yesterday to talk to a couple of incoming fishermen, and while the Bay
was choppy, it wasn't that bad. You could have gone out for a bumpy ride.

Gene wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It appears that they may have rented the boat.... the article says
that they rented a "ship," but I wonder if they really meant "slip."
Dunno...

Anyhow, this again, makes the argument for exposure suits, if the
water is THAT friggin' cold.... (mid 50's)

IMHO, it also make the case that 23 foot long boats at or less than 8
foot abeam are not terribly safe for more than a couple of anglers....

BP Marina doesn't have any 23' boats for rent, as far as I know, but you
can rent a slip there for a few days and if striper season just opened,
you have to rent that slip well in advance.

My 21' Parker had an 8 foot beam.

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, my Brockway is 7 feet wide, and 16 feet long, But being open it is
all floor space. It's great for one and ok for two... Any more than that
is just too crowded. As to handling our old Colombian was 20 feet and
not too bad in a chop, but it had a real small cockpit so for crusing it
was ok for 4, fishing, two was crowded...

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!

I_am_Tosk wrote:

Yeah, my Brockway is 7 feet wide, and 16 feet long, But being open it is
all floor space. It's great for one and ok for two... Any more than that
is just too crowded. As to handling our old Colombian was 20 feet and
not too bad in a chop, but it had a real small cockpit so for crusing it
was ok for 4, fishing, two was crowded...

Does yours ride like this one?

http://tinyurl.com/2cjhrxo

wrote:

[...]

Fort Agent 6.00 Build 1186

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by
the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover." * - Unknown

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
*http://pamandgene.tranquilrefuge.net/boating/the_boat/my_boat.htm- Hide quoted text -

I beg to differ. My Boat is 20 feet, at a 6 foot beam. I'd trust it in
anything. I dont care what anyone says, Lake Erie can be very deadly,
VERY quickly being so shallow. I've been out in some very nasty rips.

Center Consoles have NO side rail depth,IMO.

Next time the wind is up, I'll go video tape the Lake for ya.

wrote:

[...]

I beg to differ. My Boat is 20 feet, at a 7 foot beam. I'd trust it
in
anything. I dont care what anyone says, Lake Erie can be very deadly,
VERY quickly being so shallow. I've been out in some very nasty rips.

Center Consoles have NO side rail depth,IMO.

Next time the wind is up, I'll go video tape the Lake for ya.

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:47:37 -0400, Gene
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 12:14:17 -0400, Harryk
wrote:

I_am_Tosk wrote:

Yeah, my Brockway is 7 feet wide, and 16 feet long, But being open it is
all floor space. It's great for one and ok for two... Any more than that
is just too crowded. As to handling our old Colombian was 20 feet and
not too bad in a chop, but it had a real small cockpit so for crusing it
was ok for 4, fishing, two was crowded...

Does yours ride like this one?

http://tinyurl.com/2cjhrxo

That really looks like the loading ramp at Lake Jocasse.... and the
weather looks almost as threatening as the last time we were there....

Poor guy needs to learn how to load a boat and trim an engine....

Yes, both. The boat is actually doing what it is supposed to do,
just needs more weight in the bow and a tad more down-trim on the
engine. My brother and I had a flat bottomed skiff like that on Lake
Ontario when we were kids. We had a big slab of limestone that we'd
put in the bow when going out with only one of us on board. It would
plane out at 16 or 17 mph with just a 7 1/2 hp Merc.