Default merc 25 hp

I have 2006 merc 25hp 4 stroke with only 50hrs..the lower end bearing
seized due to fluid loss during a fishing trip. the dealer took it
apart. no gear oil. dealer could only say he thought the seal failed.
isn't sure why. I have extended warranty but merc is saying it is
probably not covered ..there was no obvious sign of wear or fishing
line etc..Merc is stalling me since November saying they want to talk
to the mechanic, who unfortunaately does not work in the winter( i'm
in ontario Canada).. they want him to determine the reason..my
warranty says " mechanical failure" is covered.what is this and can
the mechanic satisfy them so the warranty will cover it.could there be
another explanation as to why the fluid leaked. the mechanic didn't
pressure test the lower unit he just took it apart..the water pump
gasket I believe is ok as I never lost pee hole pressure..also if merc
won,t make good who could I call..I dealing with warranty and
cuatomer service currently. ANY ADVICE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
Sincerely Frustrated
Bruce
Tim Tim is offline

On Mar 2, 7:24*pm, wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 16:16:57 -0800 (PST), catherine newman power

wrote:
[...]

I smell a rat. If the seal failed it would be full of water.

I bet they never put any oil in it. It is worth fighting it.

Agreed. and if there WAS oil in it at one time, the over heated parts
would have a residue all over the inside of the casing. and I'd think
that if somehow the oil did leak out, it could be detected with
residue on the outside of the casing and like Greg said, water on the
inside, either wet, or corroded and rusty parts. If the damaged parts
look blue (heat) and shiny (no rust or corrosion), I'd say Greg's
assumption was correct.
jps jps is offline

wrote:

[...]

Unless the cause was physical damage to the unit, there's no way this
should have lost gear oil and failed at 50 hours.

You should write a letter to the President or CEO of the company and
explain the circumstances in the nicest possible way. Call the
company and ask for the executive offices and fax it or email it.
Execs tend to take these matters more seriously than the warranty or
service people, whose job is to keep costs down.

CEO's want to keep costs down but they're also interested in keeping
customer loyalty up.

Go get 'em.

Merc 3.0 Help [email protected] General 7 July 31st 07 08:40 PM
New Merc 9.9 Lloyd Sumpter General 11 November 20th 04 03:53 PM
Merc 9.9 STILL not right Lloyd Sumpter General 2 July 4th 04 05:53 PM
Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc Jon General 15 February 6th 04 06:32 AM