Harry Krause

Default OT--Ouch! Right in Harry's backyard...

Mark Browne wrote:
"Dave Hall" wrote in message
snip
Dave, read the whole thing a few times - before you reply.

I would have to agree. The way they make cars these days, it doesn't

matter
very much if the guys on the line are getting
$8 an hour or a decent, living wage.

Being competitive today is more about robotics and automation than

whether the
workforce has been hired for the lowest conceivable dollar. There aren't

as
many man hours in a car as just several years ago.

Which brings up an interesting hypothetical question. If we were to
"automate" all manufacturing, distribution, and information 100%, what
would we have left for the American worker to do?

You did not go far enough, what *can't* be automated? Think hard. Any job
that can be conducted over a telephone can be automated. Fifty years ago,
most people would have had trouble seeing how a bank teller would be
replaced with an ATM. Doctor Tooth can (and will) be replaced by a robot and
a token low paid nurse. Cars *will* drive themselves - kiss your fall-back
truck driver job goodbye. It is *very* hard to think of a job that can't be
automated; certainly there are not enough of these jobs for everybody!

The answer would probably be a good career choice for a high school
senior to contemplate.

Dave

Excellent grasshopper - you have taken your first small step towards
enlightenment! I am actually very surprised that you were able to think of
this. It is such a *long* way from your usually Pollyanna "the free market
will fix everything" stand on every issue.

I asked this same question in the mid 70's as I first realized the awesome
power of embedded microprocessors combined with Moore's curve.

As you grapple with the question you just asked, you may slowly come to
understand that the current system will *have* to lead to massive numbers of
unemployed and underemployed. Nobody works as cheap as a $0.10 chip. Not
even the third world; things will *have* to change in some fundamental way.
We can't all be programmers. See if you are able to draw the path from the
reduction of traditional jobs to where we *must* go. It could lead to very
good places, or complete chaos.The most important question is "will this
change be under control, or will it be thrust upon us?" If we steer towards
where we want to go, we may actually get there. If our only tiller is greed
and competition, we *will* go to compete anarchy. The first step down the
wrong path is stratification of society into a few rich, and the rest very
poor. The currently shrinking middle class is a very ominous sign.

Think about it for about twenty years and you may finally see why I am a
liberal. As you ponder this, think about what I keep saying over and over:
"When the poor of our society do better, we all do better".

Mark Browne
P.S. Teachers will become *much* more important and valued in the future -
think 1 to 1 teacher / student ratio. Think through what that would mean to
the USAs position in the high tech and creative writing/theater/music/arts
arena. Think about why I identified these as the most important areas for
human endeavors.

My favorite right-wing idiocy: "Those who can do, do. Those who cannot,
teach." Or some variation on that theme. Virtually every right-winger
poster here has uttered that phrase at least once.

It is a very revealing statement to make, because it shows the poster to
be bereft of intellectuality. And, usually, jealous of the rather meager
salary teachers are paid, considering the responsibility they have.

The very best we have, the real thinkers and doers, usually devote
themselves to teaching at some point in their lives.

The aphorism might better be phrased: "Those who can do, do teach."

I had some fabulous teachers in my lifetime, and I remember most of
them, from Mrs. Dickstein in the fourth grade who took it upon herself
to teach us French, to Mrs. Ruff in the tenth grade, who encouraged me
to write poetry and study Russian so I could read some of the world's
greatest literature in the language in which it was written, to Casey
Jones at the Kansas City Star, who helped me polish my prose, and Bob
Busby, who taught me how to write a sports lead, to Robert Penn Warren
in Grad School, who rekindled my interest in poetry, to Saul Alinsky,
who taught me how to make serious trouble for the opposition, hell,
there are too many to mention. All great achievers and all great
teachers, too.

There's no higher calling than teaching.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Harry Krause

jps wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message
Bill,
Harry's got a tough sell here. In most Gallup surveys, dentists and
engineers (I have a DDS and BSME) always poll in the top 10 to 15 most
trusted professions...and journalists and labor union brass always poll

near
the bottom. That's mighty difficult for a Narcissist to accept.

Though easy for a narcissist like you.

Ah, yes, dentists. The movers and shakers of society.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
jps wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message
Bill,
Harry's got a tough sell here. In most Gallup surveys, dentists and
engineers (I have a DDS and BSME) always poll in the top 10 to 15 most
trusted professions...and journalists and labor union brass always poll

near
the bottom. That's mighty difficult for a Narcissist to accept.

Though easy for a narcissist like you.

Ah, yes, dentists. The movers and shakers of society.

Hehehe. Harry thinks he makes a difference in the World.

Bill Cole

What? You mean rec.boats isn't a major force in influencing key leaders in
America? It must be sad when you feel that you have so much to offer
humanity, and the only outlet you have is rec.boats.

rec.boats is nothing more than a way to kill some time, and it can be more
enjoyable than a lot of the sit coms on TV.

jps wrote:

"NOYB" wrote in message
Bill,
Harry's got a tough sell here. In most Gallup surveys, dentists and
engineers (I have a DDS and BSME) always poll in the top 10 to 15

most
trusted professions...and journalists and labor union brass always

poll
near
the bottom. That's mighty difficult for a Narcissist to accept.

Though easy for a narcissist like you.

Ah, yes, dentists. The movers and shakers of society.

Hehehe. Harry thinks he makes a difference in the World.

jps

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
What? You mean rec.boats isn't a major force in influencing key leaders

in
America? It must be sad when you feel that you have so much to offer
humanity, and the only outlet you have is rec.boats.

rec.boats is nothing more than a way to kill some time, and it can be more
enjoyable than a lot of the sit coms on TV.

I knew that'd be your kind of entertainment. Big fan of "Friends" are you?

Killing time seems to be your major interest in life.

Bill Cole

jps,
I wish you were a little more challenging, but to be honest with
you, you are boring me with your feeble attempts at personal attacks. First
you try my profession and now you are trying to attack my choice of TV
shows. Since I have not watched Friends, I really can't tell you if it a
good show or not, but Jennifer Anniston is a cute as a button.

It does appear that you believe rec.boats is an effective venue for
making a change in American politics or attitudes. Since we disagree on
many issues, I hope you continue to use rec.boats as your outlet for
political discussion. It keeps you from doing anything that make have an
impact on anything you view as important.

"jps" wrote in message
"Bill Cole" wrote in message
What? You mean rec.boats isn't a major force in influencing key leaders

in
America? It must be sad when you feel that you have so much to offer
humanity, and the only outlet you have is rec.boats.

rec.boats is nothing more than a way to kill some time, and it can be

more
enjoyable than a lot of the sit coms on TV.

I knew that'd be your kind of entertainment. Big fan of "Friends" are

you?

Killing time seems to be your major interest in life.

jps

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
jps,
I wish you were a little more challenging, but to be honest with
you, you are boring me with your feeble attempts at personal attacks.

First
you try my profession and now you are trying to attack my choice of TV
shows. Since I have not watched Friends, I really can't tell you if it a
good show or not, but Jennifer Anniston is a cute as a button.

It does appear that you believe rec.boats is an effective venue for
making a change in American politics or attitudes. Since we disagree on
many issues, I hope you continue to use rec.boats as your outlet for
political discussion. It keeps you from doing anything that make have an
impact on anything you view as important.

Boring you? Is that why you can't resist answering, 'cause you're bored?

You don't agree with my politics and you don't have the intellectual
capacity to argue. You're apparently *only* capable of launching personal
attacks.

If that's your sport, I'll take you on but I'm not into "killing time." I
expect some satisfaction from the exchange, so you'll have to bring the
level of debate up an order of magnitude.

Otherwise, go chase someone else's skirt.

Bill Cole

In reading your posts and exchanges, it appears that you are easily
satisfied. I am not making any personal attack on you, I am just making the
same observation that the majority of the readers in rec.boats have already
made.

"jps" wrote in message
"Bill Cole" wrote in message
[...]

jps

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
In reading your posts and exchanges, it appears that you are easily
satisfied. I am not making any personal attack on you, I am just making

the
same observation that the majority of the readers in rec.boats have

already
made.

Proof please. Talkin' out yer ass, as usual.

basskisser

"NOYB" wrote in message nk.net...
No you didn't.

If you don't think so, then you really need to learn to read. So,
where is YOUR proof of a statement YOU made?