Dan Krueger

Default Stainless Prop Damage - Follow up

Time to find a boat boneyard. You can probably get one used for under $100.00.
Any marine flea markets in your area?

Dan

Clams Canino wrote:

I show $386 for a Merc Alpha one propshaft - part only. That should help
warm you up to the total bill.

-W

"M.E." wrote in message

Let me guess... $$$$?? Does anyone know an average cost to this job?

Thanks for the feedback.

"Clams Canino" wrote in message

Agree.

-W

"jchaplain" wrote in message

Shop job.

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:07:42 -0400, "M.E."
wrote:

It would appear that not only did the prop take some damage but the

prop

shaft is also bent... grrr... nice end to the boating season...

anyways,

is

this a job that can be tackled at home or is it a shop job?

Thanks,

"M.E." wrote in message

Hey everyone,

Well the costs of boating strike again... my dad was out today in

our

boat

and the stainless prop has damage to the one blade... there is also

bit

of

damage to the skeg... the skeg I know how to deal with but the

stainless

prop I'm not sure... It looks like it may have just kid of scraped

rock

or

something... Any suggestions or ideas on how to go about repairing

this

as

there is a tiny bit of material missing now and a bit of a bend.

Thanks,
Mike

M.E.

Being that it is a 140 HP SN# 4651683 (1977) Mercruiser Drive, what are the
chances I can bolt something else up to it? I've seen 1.98 Gear ratio Alpha
1's will they fit or is it a lot of work? I'm seeing outdrives going for
anywheres from $200-$600... I have found out from looking around Mercruiser
has a pretty standard prop shaft for most drives is this correct?

Thanks for the help
Mike

"M.E." wrote in message

[...]

David Meade

"M.E." wrote in message
Hey everyone,

Well the costs of boating strike again... my dad was out today in our

boat
and the stainless prop has damage to the one blade... there is also a

bit
of
damage to the skeg... the skeg I know how to deal with but the

stainless
prop I'm not sure... It looks like it may have just kid of scraped a

rock
or
something... Any suggestions or ideas on how to go about repairing

this
as
there is a tiny bit of material missing now and a bit of a bend.

Thanks,
Mike

Bent my prop and shaft. It cost $500.00 to replace the shaft and $140.00 to
remanufacture the SS prop. I have a 175 Johnson. Good luck!!
Greg O

"David Meade" wrote in message

Bent my prop and shaft. It cost $500.00 to replace the shaft and $140.00

remanufacture the SS prop. I have a 175 Johnson. Good luck!!

Geez, two guys with busted SS props and bent shafts.
Whats the word on the prop's rubber hub that will prevent shaft damage in a
case like this??
Greg

Tony Thomas

In both cases chances are the shaft would have been bent w/ aluminum prop
also. In the original post the skeg was damaged also. Chances are the
angle of impact was such that no matter what the prop, the shaft was going
to be damaged.

Hope you have insurance.

--
Tony
my boats and autos - http://t.thomas.home.mchsi.com

"Greg O" wrote in message

"David Meade" wrote in message

Bent my prop and shaft. It cost $500.00 to replace the shaft and $140.00

remanufacture the SS prop. I have a 175 Johnson. Good luck!!

Geez, two guys with busted SS props and bent shafts.
Whats the word on the prop's rubber hub that will prevent shaft damage in

case like this??
Greg

Prop Size 1990 Bayliner 22.55 Ciera Sunbridge J K General 1 September 15th 03 10:32 PM
Stainless Prop Trim Tab M.E. General 1 August 6th 03 02:52 AM
which prop Tony Thomas General 0 July 30th 03 12:35 PM
Prop sizes/performance Steve Lomax General 6 July 23rd 03 11:49 PM
Prop question Frank Taylor, Jr. General 5 July 23rd 03 04:23 AM