Junior Member

Default Boat will crank but stalls out when put it into gear

I have a 19.5 ft ski boat, inboard outdrive 5.7 with 93 yamaha sterndrive. I can get the engine to fire and run at idle, and even rev it up out of gear. However, recently it has become more difficult to get it to go into gear without it bogging down and sputtering. After a few attempts it smells like its running rich (smell of fuel). Does this sound like a problem in the shift cable or perhaps in the controls (throttle link)? Anyone with any info please help. I appreciate it. Andy

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 01:53:07 +0000, conroeboater
wrote:

I have a 19.5 ft ski boat, inboard outdrive 5.7 with 93 yamaha
sterndrive. I can get the engine to fire and run at idle, and even rev
it up out of gear. However, recently it has become more difficult to
get it to go into gear without it bogging down and sputtering. After a
few attempts it smells like its running rich (smell of fuel). Does this
sound like a problem in the shift cable or perhaps in the controls
(throttle link)? Anyone with any info please help. I appreciate it.

It sounds to me like your automatic choke is sticking or not
functioning at all. You could try some carb cleaner but if that
doesn't work you're going to need a mechanic.

wrote:

I have a 19.5 ft ski boat, inboard outdrive 5.7 with 93 yamaha
sterndrive. I can get the engine to fire and run at idle, and even rev
it up out of gear. However, recently it has become more difficult to
get it to go into gear without it bogging down and sputtering. After a
few attempts it smells like its running rich (smell of fuel). Does this
sound like a problem in the shift cable or perhaps in the controls
(throttle link)? Anyone with any info please help. I appreciate it.
Andy

It sounds very similar to a problem I had with a 5.7L mercruiser. The coil was
bad. It would run without a load, but as soon as I gave the engine a load it
would sputter and die.

Might try replacing that. Mine was getting wet from the live well mounted
directly over the coil, but never caulked.

Good luck.