Default boat shudders and stalls

I have a sea ray with 4.3 mercruiser, the boat was running fine all
season until 2 weeks ago. It will run fine if you keep it around 2,000
rpms but then when you start to go faster, it will surge from 3,000
rpms to 4,000 and continue to do that until it stalls out. Its not the
prop, the prop was changed at the beginning of the season and is still
in good shape. Its also not water in the fuel because the fuel tank
has been drain and fuel and water separator filter has been changed.
I’m really lost on this one.

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.BoatingForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.BoatingForumz.com/boat-sh...pict99662.html

"Geoff" wrote in message
news:381219_304c08e7ace62127a9d6abb97696a250@boati ngforumz.com...

I have a sea ray with 4.3 mercruiser, the boat was running fine all
season until 2 weeks ago. It will run fine if you keep it around 2,000
rpms but then when you start to go faster, it will surge from 3,000
rpms to 4,000 and continue to do that until it stalls out. Its not the
prop, the prop was changed at the beginning of the season and is still
in good shape. Its also not water in the fuel because the fuel tank
has been drain and fuel and water separator filter has been changed.
I’m really lost on this one.

Except for the stalling, your symptoms still sound like a spun hub on the
prop .... even if it is new. At lower RPM the rubber hub is still spinning
the prop, will look and feel fine when you inspect it, but it loses it's
grip at higher RPM. However, it doesn't explain stalling.

Is the engine carburated or fuel injected?

Eisboch

"Geoff" wrote in message
news:381219_304c08e7ace62127a9d6abb97696a250@boati ngforumz.com...
I have a sea ray with 4.3 mercruiser, the boat was running fine all
season until 2 weeks ago. It will run fine if you keep it around 2,000
rpms but then when you start to go faster, it will surge from 3,000
rpms to 4,000 and continue to do that until it stalls out. Its not the
prop, the prop was changed at the beginning of the season and is still
in good shape. Its also not water in the fuel because the fuel tank
has been drain and fuel and water separator filter has been changed.
I'm really lost on this one.

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.BoatingForumz.com
interface
Thread archive:
http://www.BoatingForumz.com/boat-sh...pict99662.html

Sounds to me like the fuel supply is having trouble keeping up. As the
mixture goes leaner it can cause surging. I'd check along those lines
first. Some of the fuel tank pickups have a screen over them. Some carbs
have a smaller inlet filter just under the fitting where the fuel line
enters. I have seen also water/trash gum up the flappers that act as valves
in the fuel pump.

Low fuel delivery rate. If carbed, fuel pump most likely-classic
symptom of failing mechanical pump.
JR

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 01:22:45 -0500, Geoff wrote:

I have a sea ray with 4.3 mercruiser, the boat was running fine all
season until 2 weeks ago. It will run fine if you keep it around 2,000
rpms but then when you start to go faster, it will surge from 3,000
rpms to 4,000 and continue to do that until it stalls out. Its not the
prop, the prop was changed at the beginning of the season and is still
in good shape. Its also not water in the fuel because the fuel tank
has been drain and fuel and water separator filter has been changed.
I’m really lost on this one.

HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth

Hurricane Bush Stalls *JimH* General 5 October 27th 05 05:28 PM
Outboard stalls under load above around 14K RPM??? Grant General 6 June 26th 05 02:57 PM
Outboard Stalls GaryMO General 2 August 30th 04 12:03 PM
Evinrude stalls at idle Doug Kanter General 3 July 9th 04 11:23 PM
Boat stalls at high RPM Rod A. General 1 July 17th 03 03:12 PM