posted to rec.boats.paddle
MrC

Default seeking a boat hoist rope crank for kayak

I'm building a home made kayak hoist to lift my boat to the ceiling in the
garage. The one part I can't seem to find is a hand crank for the ropes
with a safety ratchet so the hoist can't accidentally fall to the floor. I
got a small hand winch for that but it's a poor compromise because with the
gearing down it will take a huge number of cranks to pull the hoist to the
roof. I don't really need the mechanical advantage of the winch since the
kayak and hoist frame are not that much weight. Even a hand crank will
have some mechanical advantage since the crank radius will be bigger
than the spool radius. I think that would be enough for this hoist.

If anyone has a tip on somewhere to buy a rope crank like this I'd like to
hear it.
thanks,
Mark

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Michael Daly

On 25-Feb-2006, MrC wrote:

The one part I can't seem to find is a hand crank for the ropes
with a safety ratchet so the hoist can't accidentally fall to the floor.

I've been looking for the same for a couple of years now - I rigged the
same sort of thing in a friend's garage, but she's not strong enough to
lift it easily. All the one's I've seen are quite expensive; if you find
something affordable, post here so we'll all know.

Mike
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Mike

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

On 25-Feb-2006, MrC wrote:

The one part I can't seem to find is a hand crank for the ropes
with a safety ratchet so the hoist can't accidentally fall to the floor.

I've been looking for the same for a couple of years now - I rigged the
same sort of thing in a friend's garage, but she's not strong enough to
lift it easily. All the one's I've seen are quite expensive; if you find
something affordable, post here so we'll all know.

Mike

Might the block and tackle arrangement (or other ideas) here help?
http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk..._solutions.htm

Mike.

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Michael Daly

On 26-Feb-2006, "Mike" wrote:

Might the block and tackle arrangement (or other ideas) here help?

That's what I've already done, but there's just enough friction and weight to
make it a challenge for her to lift. She can do it, but I'd rather have a winch
so she feels more confident about lifting.

Mike

posted to rec.boats.paddle
RkyMtnHootOwl

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 17:59:29 GMT, Michael Daly wrote:

On 26-Feb-2006, "Mike" wrote:

Might the block and tackle arrangement (or other ideas) here help?

That's what I've already done, but there's just enough friction and weight to
make it a challenge for her to lift. She can do it, but I'd rather have a winch
so she feels more confident about lifting.

Mike

Sail boats use various winches, or capstans to manage the lines for
hoisting sails etc. I have seen some of these devices for sale on Ebay
when you sort for sailing equipment. OvO
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Grip

Yes as I said previously, boat winches, hand cranked, probably find them in
Walmart, Gander mountain, local boat shop or as someone else mentioned ebay.
Mount to garage wall where a stud is located.........Look
here....................http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1200-LBS-CABLE-WINCH-
TRAILER-BOAT-NIB-HEAVY-DUTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26451QQitemZ461513 043
9QQrdZ1

On 26-Feb-2006, "Mike" wrote:

Might the block and tackle arrangement (or other ideas) here help?

That's what I've already done, but there's just enough friction and

weight to
make it a challenge for her to lift. She can do it, but I'd rather have

a winch
so she feels more confident about lifting.

Mike

Sail boats use various winches, or capstans to manage the lines for
hoisting sails etc. I have seen some of these devices for sale on Ebay
when you sort for sailing equipment. OvO

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Michael Daly

On 26-Feb-2006, "Grip" wrote:

Yes as I said previously, boat winches, hand cranked,

I've been looking, but nothing in the right price range. I keep hoping she'll
find one at a garage sale. Ebay can get expensive when you add shipping,
duty, taxes etc (it seems so much is of what is for sale is in the US and I'm not).

Mike
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Galen Hekhuis

On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 05:19:13 GMT, "Michael Daly"
wrote:

On 26-Feb-2006, "Grip" wrote:

Yes as I said previously, boat winches, hand cranked,

I've been looking, but nothing in the right price range. I keep hoping she'll
find one at a garage sale. Ebay can get expensive when you add shipping,
duty, taxes etc (it seems so much is of what is for sale is in the US and I'm not).

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...ductId=9168131

This is almost exactly what I used to use to get my kayak up on top of my
pick-up camper. It comes with a mounting plate and holes, and if the
supplied cable isn't quite right (it wasn't for my use) it can be easily
changed. I don't know what your price range is but this is only about 55
bucks, the shipping is free.

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
Floats like a bee, stings like a butterfly