Wildest Dream

Default gas tank question

I don't believe this debate is still going on, hey JG, is it a law by the
way or is it recommended by the CG. I just wanted to know I have a fill on
the outside. Close my hatches when filling and run the blowers when done for
5 min. and sniff for fumes in the cabin and out the vent. My wife would hate
me if I blew our family up, don't think she would ever talk to me again, if
we live. Where are u stationed @?

"John Gaquin" wrote in message
"basskisser" wrote in message

Hmm, interesting. So, if you were to take the same tank, and put hold
down clips on it, then it would somehow magically not allow fumes to
settle, and would, again, somehow make the fuel unspillable?

Research has shown that sarcasm will neither prevent fuel spills, hasten
evaporation, nor alter reality. The recommended procedure for portable
tanks is to remove them for refueling. Chapman's advises that any tank

over
6 gallons ought not be considered portable. If you permanently affix your
tanks to the boat, then they are considered permanently installed. If

your
tanks are permanently installed, CFR183 stipulates standards of size and
assembly for your fuel filler system, including the fill port that is
located in such a location that an accidental spill cannot find its way

back
into the boat.

So you see -- magic has nothing to do with it!

Regards,

John Gaquin
Brefnie Queen
1974 Luhrs 32
USCGAux

Trainfan1

"Wildest Dream" wrote in message
et...
I don't believe this debate is still going on, hey JG, is it a law by the
way or is it recommended by the CG.

Recommended by the Coast Guard, the Auxiliary, the Power Squadron, the state
agencies/departments(DMV, MVD, Parks & Recreation, etc.) responsible for
safe boating courses and course requirements, and a few rec.boats folks.

Rob
*
*
*

Clams Canino

Actually a single 12 gallon tank mounted in the front of the boat would
provide better overall trim.
But then we still have the damn filling issue.

When I had the 4-Winns, I had a 6 gallon portable tank semi-permamounted
under the starbord rear seat. The main tank was under the port rear seat (18
gallons). The main tank had a normal approved filler system.

What I'd do is fill the dummy tank 1st (in the boat) and leave the seat
cover *off*. Then I'd fill the main tank. Then we'd tow the boat the rest of
the way to the launch and be off. The wind from towing would always dry any
overspill (minimal) under that right seat. None the less, I'd leave that
cushion off and not allow any smoking in the boat till we had gone the 6
miles to the "1st beach" just to be double sure. By then all the breeze had
more than dispersed or removed any fumes.

The real world often does not allow for perfect safety conditions. The next
best thing is to be aware of the hazzards and plan accordingly. Fill the
damn tank outside the boat if you can. If you can't, then use your head and
deal with the fume dispersal. LOL

-W

"John Gaquin" wrote in message newsmPbb.14116
Personally, I'd rather have a few six-gallon tanks in a boat with an
outboard engine. Not only can the refueling be handled more easily, but

you
can also move the tanks not in use forward to better trim the boat, rather
than having all the fuel weight in the stern.

JG

John Gaquin

"Wildest Dream" wrote in message news:sSedb.26070

I don't believe this debate is still going on, hey JG, is it a law by the
way or is it recommended by the CG.

Just recommended, afaik.

Where are u stationed @?

I'm not active duty CG. I'm Auxiliary. I'm stationed wherever my wife
tells me. :-)

JG