Jason

Default gas tank question

Stupid question most likely but ill ask it anyway..

Have a 35 hp merc outboard... currently with a 6 gallon gas can.. is there
any reason why i cannot upgrade to a 12 gallon? I have the room... just have
never seen it.. most likely not, but just wanted to ask ..

thanks

Harry Krause

Jason wrote:
Stupid question most likely but ill ask it anyway..

Have a 35 hp merc outboard... currently with a 6 gallon gas can.. is there
any reason why i cannot upgrade to a 12 gallon? I have the room... just have
never seen it.. most likely not, but just wanted to ask ..

thanks

There are plastic 12 gallon tanks available..try boat/us or west marine
catalog or any large boating retail store. Just make sure you get the
right fitting on the tank end to match your Merc fuel line.

John Gaquin

"Jason" wrote in message ...
Have a 35 hp merc outboard... currently with a 6 gallon gas can.. is there
any reason why i cannot upgrade to a 12 gallon?

They're available, but be careful what you wish for.....

A near-full 12 gallon tank will weigh near 75-80 pounds -- possibly a little
problematic hefting around during refueling procedures. Just a thought....

JG

F330 GT

"Jason" wrote in message ...
Have a 35 hp merc outboard... currently with a 6 gallon gas can.. is

there
any reason why i cannot upgrade to a 12 gallon?

They're available, but be careful what you wish for.....

A near-full 12 gallon tank will weigh near 75-80 pounds -- possibly a

little
problematic hefting around during refueling procedures. Just a

thought....

JG

And why would you have to take it out of the boat for refueling?

Barry

John Gaquin

Portable tanks should always be removed from the boat to the dock for
refueling. This is standard recommended procedure to avoid fume settling
and/or accidental spillage within the craft. Perhaps a refresher boating
safety course is in order?

JG

"F330 GT" wrote in message

And why would you have to take it out of the boat for refueling?

Barry

Gfretwell

Portable tanks should always be removed from the boat to the dock for
refueling.

Calling a 80-100 lb tank "portable" is a stretch. Buy a grey one instead of a
red one, use the hold down clips and it is an "installed" tank.
basskisser

"John Gaquin" wrote in message ...
Portable tanks should always be removed from the boat to the dock for
refueling. This is standard recommended procedure to avoid fume settling
and/or accidental spillage within the craft. Perhaps a refresher boating
safety course is in order?

JG

Hmm, interesting. So, if you were to take the same tank, and put hold
down clips on it, then it would somehow magically not allow fumes to
settle, and would, again, somehow make the fuel unspillable? I've got
two 9 1/2 gallon tanks from Bass Pro Shops. Mine has a handle, they
sell the same one without the handle, and with hold down clips. The
ONLY difference.
Trainfan1

"F330 GT" wrote in message
And why would you have to take it out of the boat for refueling?

Barry

You ARE kidding, right?

Rob
*
*
*

F330 GT

"F330 GT" wrote in message
And why would you have to take it out of the boat for refueling?

Barry

You ARE kidding, right?

Rob
*
*
*

Nope, not kidding at all. And I don't think I need any refresher boating
courses as JG suggested. But thanks for asking.

I've got a "red" auxiliary 18 gallon tank for my 13' Boston Whaler. It's made
to fit in the rear of the boat and spans the width of about 5'. If I took it
out and set it on the ground at a gas station to fill it, I'd never get it back
in the boat. Never heard of such nonsense.

Those "red" auxiliary tanks are made large enough to hold over 40 gallons.as I
recall. You gonna lift 350 lbs and put it in your boat? Not me.

Removing a portable tank may be a good idea and I would do it if practical, but
I can't say I've ever heard it was the law. I could be wrong.

Barry