John Gaquin

Default gas tank question

"Gfretwell" wrote in message

Calling a 80-100 lb tank "portable" is a stretch. Buy a grey one instead

of a
red one, use the hold down clips and it is an "installed" tank.

And, install a remote filler neck outside of the boat's cockpit area.
Otherwise, the only person you're fooling is yourself.

JG

F330 GT

A near-full 12 gallon tank will weigh near 75-80 pounds -- possibly a
little problematic hefting around during refueling procedures. Just a
thought....

JG

"F330 GT" wrote in message
And why would you have to take it out of the boat for refueling?

Barry

You ARE kidding, right?

Rob
*
*
*

Nope, not kidding at all. And I don't think I need any refresher boating
courses as JG suggested. But thanks for asking.

I've got a "red" auxiliary 18 gallon tank for my 13' Boston Whaler. It's made
to fit in the rear of the boat and spans the width of about 5'. If I took it
out and set it on the ground at a gas station to fill it, I'd never get it back
in the boat. Never heard of such nonsense.

Those "red" auxiliary tanks are made large enough to hold over 40 gallons.as I
recall. You gonna lift 350 lbs and put it in your boat? Not me.

Removing a portable tank may be a good idea and I would do it if practical, but
I can't say I've ever heard it was the law. I could be wrong.

Barry
Gfretwell

And, install a remote filler neck outside of the boat's cockpit area.
Otherwise, the only person you're fooling is yourself.

Some of have boats that don't have a "cockpit". Even with that said there are
plenty of center console boats with tanks in the console
Billgran

Those "red" auxiliary tanks are made large enough to hold over 40

gallons.as I
recall. You gonna lift 350 lbs and put it in your boat? Not me.

Removing a portable tank may be a good idea and I would do it if

practical, but
I can't say I've ever heard it was the law. I could be wrong.

Barry

Here is the text from the Code of Federal Regulations:

[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 33, Volume 2]
[Revised as of July 1, 2001]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 33CFR183.564]

[Page 782]

TITLE 33--NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS

CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (CONTINUED)

PART 183--BOATS AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT--Table of Contents

Subpart J--Fuel Systems

Sec. 183.564 Fuel tank fill system.

(a) Each fuel fill opening must be located so that a gasoline
overflow of up to five gallons per minute for at least five seconds will
not enter the boat when the boat is in its static floating position.
(b) Each hose in the tank fill system must be secured to a pipe,
spud, or hose fitting by:
(1) A swaged sleeve;
(2) A sleeve and threaded insert; or
(3) Two adjacent metallic hose clamps that do not depend solely on
the spring tension of the clamps for compressive force.
(c) Each hose clamp in the tank fill system must be used with a hose
designed for clamps.
(d) Hose clamps used in the tank fill system must:
(1) Have a minimum nominal band width of at least one-half inch; and
(2) Be over the hose and the spud, pipe, or hose fitting.

[CGD 74-209, 42 FR 5950, Jan. 31, 1977, as amended by CGD 81-092, 48 FR
55737, Dec. 15, 1983]

MIDEMETZ

If I remember there is or use to be a special tank cap with a hose connection
that would allow you to connect 6 gal. tanks in series. Don't know if they are
still available.

Mike
*****************

F330 GT

[...]

Bill,

I stand corrected, partially.

Those rules are related to the installation and plumbing of onboard tanks. We
can both understand the necessity of strict regulations for boat builders.
Heck, I had a friend that pumped 40 gallons down a rod holder one time. I know
somebody else that put diesel fuel into their water tank. Regulators must do
whatever they can to make fuel systems idiot proof.

Following the letter of that law portable tanks would be illegal. It does imply
certain safety issues, but really doesn't address the filling on portable
tanks.

Can someone actually show a regulation that relates to portable fuel tanks?
Specifically, that they must be filled outside the boat.

Now if I could just get one of you guys to come help me put the damn gas tank
back into the boat.

Barry
John Gaquin

"F330 GT" wrote in message

I've got a "red" auxiliary 18 gallon tank for my 13' Boston Whaler. It's

made
to fit in the rear of the boat and spans the width of about 5'.

We were talking about, and the thread is based upon, the notion of portable
fuel tanks.

If your tank is 5 feet long and weighs over 100 lbs full, it is not
portable. Clearly, it should be properly fastened down, and equipped with a
fill system that complies with CG regs (quoted in another post.).

Six and 12 gallon tanks of a fairly compacted size are readily available in
portable design, and intended for such use. Recommended safety practices
are unanimous (in my experience) in recommending that *portable* fuel tanks
be removed from the vessel for refilling on the dock, thus avoiding
potential spillage within the boat. That's what was being talked about, and
my point simply was that a 12 gallon tank, even though technically
*portable*, would be a fairly heavy slug at 75 pounds or so; a bit much to
be considered *portable* in a realistically practical sense. Hope this
clears it up.

JG

F330 GT

We were talking about, and the thread is based upon, the notion of portable
fuel tanks.

John,

I agree. And I said that if it's feasible it should be done. It was also
brought up that "red" tanks are considered portable and "grey'" tanks are for
"built in" use. Mine is a "red" tank that is built to be removed from the boat.
In fact I use it for both of my boats when going to the Bahamas. It's still
considered a portable tank.

And further, a 12 gallon tank full weighs 100lbs plus the weight of the tank.
Is that portable or not? If you want to remove it from your boat before filling
it, fine. Show me where the law requires it, please.

If you can't fill a portable gas tank without spilling it all over your boat,
maybe you shouldn't be boating.

Barry
John Gaquin

"F330 GT" wrote in message

And further, a 12 gallon tank full weighs 100lbs plus the weight of the

tank.

A minor point, but that simply isn't true. Gasoline weighs a touch over 6
lbs/gal, + or - a couple of points depending on the temp. But it never
weighs 8.3 lbs/gal

Is that portable or not? If you want to remove it from your boat before

filling
it, fine. Show me where the law requires it, please.

I never did say that any law required such a practice, although there may
well be one somewhere. I might also point out that you ought not wait for
the government to tell you every move to make. What I did say, twice, was
that "...Recommended safety practices are unanimous (in my experience) in
recommending that *portable* fuel tanks be removed from the vessel for
refilling on the dock, thus avoiding potential spillage within the boat..."
Recommended safety practices come from a variety of organizations with
experience in such things, often make great sense, but do not carry the
force of law.

If you can't fill a portable gas tank without spilling it all over your

boat,
maybe you shouldn't be boating.

Spoken like a high school sophomore who thinks accidents can't happen to
him. No further response required.

JG

Wildest Dream

its not a law to have an anchor either but it is at least suggested I just
took the coast guard course last winter and aced the test 100% and I
remember it being mentioned in the class, it may have said recommended, but
if u want to risk pouring gas into your boat with or without a cabin is up
to you frankly my dear I thought the original reply poster said it was too
heavy and I agreed and still do, I also thought that gas has the same mass
as water and knowing water = 8.33lbs./gal. I thought it was the same I could
be wrong on that, that was a guess, I'm not that interested in the subject
that much anyway, just saying I wouldn't put my boat and my crew (family) in
that hazardous situation, I wish we had somebody hear from the CG, or the
Aux. GL hope this doesn't start a FIRE !