Default Smaller trucks?

On 1/7/11 8:11 AM, I am Tosk wrote:
In articleNb6dnZrukcPwkrrQnZ2dnUVZ_gednZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

On 1/7/11 7:53 AM, I am Tosk wrote:
In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

On 1/6/11 10:25 PM, I am Tosk wrote:

I still hate front wheel drive.. Just doesn't make sense to have the
steering and drive on the same axle,

Please explain.

Pffftttt...

Yeah, I kinda figured *that* was the lack of thought underpinning your
absurd statement, "Just doesn't make sense to have the steering and
drive on the same axle." Fortunately, Alec Issigonis wouldn't have paid
any attention to you back then, and no automotive engineer would pay any
attention to you today. But, hey, go ahead...go through life wallowing
in your ignorance.

STFU, you don't know what google is talking about.. I have raced front
wheel drive vehicles.. Come back to me when you actually know what you
are talking about...snerk..

I do know what I am talking about; you do not. Your ignorant statement
is all the proof that is needed.

Please explain why it "Just doesn't make sense to have the steering and
drive on the same axle." Use your own words. Go ahead. Oh, it's

axles, by the way, usually.

In article ,
says...

"Harryk" wrote in message
On 1/6/11 3:13 PM, YukonBound wrote:

"Harryk" wrote in message
On 1/6/11 11:00 AM, YukonBound wrote:

"Harryk" wrote in message
On 1/3/11 11:49 PM, Tim wrote:
I haven't seen where smaller trucks are really that great of a
savings
compared to their bigger counter parts, Especially if you plan on
really using them.

It depends on how you plan to use a truck. I no longer have a trailer
boat so I don't need a full-sized truck to tow a heavy boat. The
smaller trucks are...smaller...and therefore easier to park, easier to
maneuver, a little easier on the gas. Most of the time the "stuff" my
wife buys at the garden shops and other stores will easily fit into a
smaller truck. The other times, the "stuff" is too large for even a
full-size pickup truck.

I happened to park next to a new Toyota Tundra the other day, and
thought that truck was just humongous. I owned a Tundra some years
ago; it was significantly smaller than the current models.

The new trucks do seem way too big for a city dwelling weekend warrior.
I did have the Ranger for three years , but I have mixed feelings about
them.
I could never claim to be tall in a newsgroup where every second poster
claims to be 6' 4" and weighing 230 or so .................... but on
the other hand, if you stood me next to Scotty..................
anyway, they jack the Rangers up.. even the 2WD versions and seem to
compress the cab height so you have to sit in a lower seat that say, a
mini-van or even a RAV4.
I found the seat of firm foam uncomfortable for a couple of months and
even called the salesman to see if I could unload the Ranger and move
up
to a F150.
He told me to wait and the foam would conform to my shape.. and he was
mostly right.
If I was in the market today, I'd take advantage of the great sales
Ford
has been offering and try to find a short wheelbase regular cab F150.
(6.5 foot box).
That's all I would need the vast majority of the time and I could
always
put a cap over the box to accommodate the dog.

I had a Ranger and an F150. Both were good trucks, as was my Tundra.
I've eliminated the Chrysler and GM small trucks; they don't do much
for me. That leaves Toyota and Ford, I guess. I need to take a test
drive in the Toyota Tacoma 4x4 small truck.

I sat in the Tacoma cab while having my RAV4 serviced and found that the
windshield cut off too low. I felt like the roof was caving in on
me..... and the seating is low, similar to the Ranger. Too bad that
Honda Ridgeline is so expensive. It might be a good choice for a light,
mid-sized pickup.

Hmmm. I haven't looked at a Honda or its pricing... :)

Consumer Reports seems to like it...
here's some of their online report...

"Honda RidgelinePhotosVideo

Base MSRP price range:$28,900 - $36,830 HighsRide, handling, powertrain,
rear seat, access, in-bed trunk, dual-action tailgate, crash-test results,
composite bed, reliability. LowsRoad noise, towing capacity, turning circle.
See our user reviewsAlready own it? Write a reviewCar Type: Compact pickup
trucksCR overall score
Honda's pickup truck has agile handling and a ride that's supple and
steady. The tailgate opens vertically or horizontally, and beneath the bed
is an all-weather, lockable trunk. The 3.5-liter V6 is quiet, smooth, and
responsive. Road noise is pronounced. The roomy crew cab is nicely detailed
and easy to access. The five-foot-long cargo bed has no wheel-arch intrusion
and is made of composite material. While not designed for serious
off-roading, the Ridgeline is capable in mild off-road conditions and it can
tow 5,000 pounds

Realibility, ride, owner satisfaction and acceleration are all better than
average but fuel economy is worse.

Yeah, well some people will believe anything. Like when the dealer told
you your RAV4 was a truck despite it being a unibody car.

On 1/7/11 7:53 AM, I am Tosk wrote:
[...]

For someone who said you were going to let the "Righties" stir up all
the **** in rec.boats, you seem to be doing your best to stay ahead of
them in the insult count.

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

On 1/6/11 10:25 PM, I am Tosk wrote:

I still hate front wheel drive.. Just doesn't make sense to have the
steering and drive on the same axle,

Please explain.

Well, I can as the real Harry, because if you remember, I took many
mechanical engineering courses. First of all, when the driven wheels are
also the steering wheels, there are parts that are under a LOT of stress
at times, such as the CV joints. Then if you lose traction like in snow,
no steering. Simple as that.

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

On 1/7/11 7:53 AM, I am Tosk wrote:
In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

On 1/6/11 10:25 PM, I am Tosk wrote:

I still hate front wheel drive.. Just doesn't make sense to have the
steering and drive on the same axle,

Please explain.

Pffftttt...

Yeah, I kinda figured *that* was the lack of thought underpinning your
absurd statement, "Just doesn't make sense to have the steering and
drive on the same axle." Fortunately, Alec Issigonis wouldn't have paid
any attention to you back then, and no automotive engineer would pay any
attention to you today. But, hey, go ahead...go through life wallowing
in your ignorance.

Spoofer, please see my previous reply and get back to me.

In article ,
says...

On 1/7/11 7:53 AM, I am Tosk wrote:
[...]

I'll go, but then I want your rebuttal in your own words. First when the
driven wheels are on the same axles as the steering, it's more
complicated mechanically. Secondly, you have steering components and
driven components that are under a lot of stress, such as CV joints
which fail very often. Third, if you lose traction like in snow, you can
steer all you want and you go in a straight line.

On 1/7/11 8:43 AM, HarryK wrote:
In , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

On 1/6/11 10:25 PM, I am Tosk wrote:

I still hate front wheel drive.. Just doesn't make sense to have the
steering and drive on the same axle,

Please explain.

Well, I can as the real Harry, because if you remember, I took many
mechanical engineering courses. First of all, when the driven wheels are
also the steering wheels, there are parts that are under a LOT of stress
at times, such as the CV joints. Then if you lose traction like in snow,
no steering. Simple as that.

There are many advantages of rear wheel drive over front wheel drive,
and they have been discussed for many years by auto engineers. A quick
Google came up with this:

1) "Balance": The car rides on four patches of rubber, each about as big
as your hand. An ideal car would distribute its weight evenly, so each
tire had to bear the same load, and none would give way earlier than all
the others. The ideal weight distribution, then, would be split about
50/50 between front and rear (actually, 48/52 to help with forward pitch
during braking). "A rear-drive car can typically approach that," says
Zellner. Engineers can move the front wheels forward, so that the engine
– which doesn't have to be connected to those wheels -- sits behind the
front axle. Meanwhile, the driveshaft and rear differential (necessary
to send power to the rear tires) add weight in the rear. Front-drive
cars, which must connect the engine and transmission to the front axle,
typically have their engines mounted way forward and can't do much
better than a 60/40 front/rear weight distribution.

2) Center of Gravity: This is the point the car wants to "rotate around"
in a turn. On a rear-drive car, it's "about where the driver sits," says
Zellner. In a turn, in other words, the car seems to be rotating around
you – you're at the center. It's a natural pleasant effect, suggesting
you're in control, the way you're in control when you're walking or
running around a corner and your weight is centered inside you. (Analogy
No. 2: It's like wearing stereo headphones and having the sound centered
between your ears!) A front-drive car, in contrast, with its massive
front weight bias, wants to rotate around a point in front of the
driver. So in a corner, the driver isn't just rotating around his spine.
He's moving sideways, as if he were a tether ball on the end of a rope,
or Linus being dragged when Snoopy gets hold of his blanket. Not such a
pleasant feeling, or a feeling that gives you a sense of natural control.

3) "Torque Steer": One of the most annoying habits of many powerful
front-drive cars is that they don't go straight when you step on the
accelerator! Instead, they pull to one side, requiring you to steer in
the other direction to compensate, like on a damn boat. This "torque
steer" usually happens because the drive shafts that connect the engine
to the front wheels aren't the same length. Under power, the shafts wind
up like springs. The longer shaft -- typically on the right -- winds up
a bit more, while the shorter left shaft winds up less and transmits its
power to the ground more quickly, which has the effect of pulling the
car to the left. (This winding-up phenomenon occurs the moment you step
on the pedal. After that, the wind-up relaxes, but "torque steer" can
still be produced by the angles of the joints in the drive axles as the
whole drivetrain twists on its rubber mounts.)

Veer madness?Veer madness?Engineers try various strategies to control
this veering tendency, but even designing shafts of equal length (as in
all Cadillacs) doesn't completely solve the problem because the engine
still twists a bit in its mounts and alters the angles of the drive
shafts. True, some manufacturers -- Audi, for example -- are said to do
a particularly good job of repressing torque steer . But even a top-rank
company such as Nissan has problems -- its otherwise appealing new
front-drive Maxima is said to be plagued by big-time, uninhibited torque
steer. Rear-drive cars, meanwhile, don't really have a torque-steer
problem that needs repressing. Their power goes to the rear through one
driveshaft to a center differential that can a) have equal-length shafts
coming out from it and b) be more firmly mounted.

4) Weight Shift: Suppose you just want to go in a straight line. What's
the best way to get traction? Answer: Have as much weight over the
driving wheels as possible. Front-drive cars start with an advantage --
but when any car accelerates, the front end tips up, and the rear end
squats down. This transfers weight to the rear wheels -- away from the
driving wheels in a FWD car but toward the driving wheels in a
rear-drive car, where it adds to available traction. In effect, the laws
of physics conspire to give RWD cars a bit more grip where they need it
when they need it. (This salutary effect is more than canceled out in
slippery, wet conditions, where you aren't going to stomp on the
accelerator. Then, FWD cars have the edge, in part, because they start
out with so much more of their weight over both the driving and the
turning wheels. Also, it's simply more stable to pull a heavy wheeled
object than to push it -- as any hotel bellhop steering a loaded luggage
cart knows. In snow, FWD cars have a third advantage in that they pull
the car through the path the front tires create, instead of turning the
front tires into mini-snowplows.)

5) "Oversteer" and the Semi-Orgasmic Lock-In Effect: In a rear-drive
car, there's a division of labor -- the front tires basically steer the
car, and the rear tires push the car down the road. In a FWD car, the
front tires do all the work – both steering and applying the power to
the road – while the rears are largely along for the ride. That, it
turns out, is asking a lot of the front tires. Since the driving wheels
tend to lose traction first, the front tires of front-drive cars
invariably start slipping in a corner before the lightly loaded rear
tires do -- a phenomenon known as "understeer." If you go too fast into
a curve -- I mean really too fast -- the car will plow off the road
front end first. In rear-drive cars, the rear wheels tend to lose
traction first, and the rear of the car threatens to swing around and
pass the front end -- "oversteer." If you go too fast into a corner in
an oversteering car, the car will tend to spin and fly off the road rear
end first.
mmc mmc is offline

"Tim" wrote in message

On Jan 6, 12:39 pm, "MMC" wrote:

The Land Rover 110 used to be the hot ticket but the Toyotas are a lot
more
dependable and handle a lot better.

The old one liner:

"Did you hear about the guy that bought a new Land Rover and it didn't
leak any oil so he kept taking it back and hounding the dealer till
they got it right?"

=======
haha! That sounds right!

On 1/7/11 9:05 AM, I am Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

In ,

says...

On 1/7/11 7:53 AM, I am Tosk wrote:
[...]

Could be our Google queen is playing some kind of semantics game.

Remember, all I said was front wheel drive sucks, he made a fight over
it...

What you said:

"Just doesn't make sense to have the steering and
drive on the same axle."

That's not the same as FWD sucks. Or maybe it is in your dysfunctional
brain.

Oh...and FWD doesn't suck.

On 1/7/11 9:14 AM, I am Tosk wrote:

And anybody who has raced knows if you are going off the road, hit the
gas and get that back end between you and the guardrail. I did this
without even thinking about it a few years back when I hit the ice in my
Wrangler... I slid long enough to know I wasn't catching it, so as I
came around I stayed in the throttle to turn the vehicle and we hit rear
end first, nobody was injured. This doesn't work well in four wheel
either so back then I used to stay in 2 wheel until I needed it to pull
out of something. Now with crazy computer controlled traction on my new
Jeep, I let it decide how to act, you just can't drive it fast though,
not what it's made for. If you try to take a fast corner, the computer
brakes wheels and tries to get you back unless you switch it off

The top performing rally cars are FWD and 4WD. Whatever problems you are
having with your vehicles is attributable to your driving skills or lack
of same.

Trucks Vic Smith General 32 April 19th 08 02:52 AM
Those %^%$% Ford F series trucks Don White General 1 March 7th 08 06:33 AM
Mexican Trucks in the USA? Sammy[_2_] ASA 2 September 18th 07 12:10 AM
Towing Specs for Used Trucks? Harry Krause General 29 March 12th 04 12:05 PM
old trucks and old boats Parallax Cruising 0 October 31st 03 07:12 PM