Default Smaller trucks?

Who has a recent vintage "smaller" 4x4 pickup truck and what has been
your experience with it in terms of durability, fit and finish, small
boat towing capabilities, gas mileage, et cetera.

By smaller, I mean pickups like:

Ford Ranger
Toyota Tacoma
Chevy Colorado
Nissan Frontier

On 12/26/10 6:07 PM, I am Tosk wrote:
In ,
says...

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 15:06:57 -0500,
wrote:

Who has a recent vintage "smaller" 4x4 pickup truck and what has been
your experience with it in terms of durability, fit and finish, small
boat towing capabilities, gas mileage, et cetera.

By smaller, I mean pickups like:

Ford Ranger
Toyota Tacoma
Chevy Colorado
Nissan Frontier

I had a 4WD Colorado with the I-5. Limited carrying capacity and even
my son's 17 foot aluminum G3 felt like towing an anchor. It got 20 MPG
on the highway, unless towing the boat and then it got about 14 MPG. I
think, even with the new V8, they just aren't designed to tow that
much.

I now have a 4WD Silverado with the 5.3L V-8 and can tow anything less
than the Grady effortlessly. I get 20MPG in the winter on the highway
and 18.5 MPG towing my MC trailer and the G3. I think I can tow about
9,700#.

I had owned a Chevy big block dually that got 8 MPG, regardless...
then an S-10 and the Colorado... so, I thought the increase in mileage
was worth it.... I won't own another mid size truck, I don't think.

I had the Dodge Dakota and hated it... At 5'7" there was no room to move
the seat back far enough for even my comfort on long trips driving. The
gas mileage sucked at about 17 miles per gallon at best... For around
town and as a work truck I think it would have done fine with the big
engine. It was a nice "tough" solid feeling truck but it was just a
glorified car with a bed, no passenger space, and bad mileage. Ours had
the big engine though...

Thanks.

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I don't think I'll be buying another trailer boat of any
substantial size. I had a nice Ford Ranger Splashtruck in the 1990's
that was adequate for short tows of my 18' Sea Pro to the ocean ramps.

I haven't looked at the new Rangers, or the Chevy, Nissan or Chrysler
offerings. I have seen the Tacoma, a 4x4 model that apparently has a
6500 pound tow capacity.

Mostly I'll need the truck to haul around garden stuff, or tow my
tractors to the shop, and stuff like that. I have a lot of miles on my
4Runner. Might just get another 4Runner.

The new "full size" pickups seem humongous to me.

wrote:

[...]

The Colorado was not a favorite in the automotive press. The V8 should
be a huge improvement.
Tim Tim is offline

I haven't seen where smaller trucks are really that great of a savings
compared to their bigger counter parts, Especially if you plan on
really using them.

On 1/3/11 11:49 PM, Tim wrote:
I haven't seen where smaller trucks are really that great of a savings
compared to their bigger counter parts, Especially if you plan on
really using them.

It depends on how you plan to use a truck. I no longer have a trailer
boat so I don't need a full-sized truck to tow a heavy boat. The smaller
trucks are...smaller...and therefore easier to park, easier to maneuver,
a little easier on the gas. Most of the time the "stuff" my wife buys at
the garden shops and other stores will easily fit into a smaller truck.
The other times, the "stuff" is too large for even a full-size pickup truck.

I happened to park next to a new Toyota Tundra the other day, and
thought that truck was just humongous. I owned a Tundra some years ago;
it was significantly smaller than the current models.
Tim Tim is offline

On Jan 4, 5:15*am, Harryk wrote:
On 1/3/11 11:49 PM, Tim wrote:

I haven't seen where smaller trucks are really that great of a savings
compared to their bigger counter parts, Especially if you plan on
really using them.

It depends on how you plan to use a truck. I no longer have a trailer
boat so I don't need a full-sized truck to tow a heavy boat. The smaller
trucks are...smaller...and therefore easier to park, easier to maneuver,
a little easier on the gas. Most of the time the "stuff" my wife buys at
the garden shops and other stores will easily fit into a smaller truck.
The other times, the "stuff" is too large for even a full-size pickup truck.

I happened to park next to a new Toyota Tundra the other day, and
thought that truck was just humongous. I owned a Tundra some years ago;
it was significantly smaller than the current models.

Yep.

When I think of small trucks I'm thinking of GM- SW15's Chevy S-10's
Ford Rangers and Dodge rams. The little ones.

Granted today's average 'heavy half' ton truck is build a lot larger
than the 'heavy 3/4' ton trucks from 20 years ago.

So when I think of small trucks, I do mean "small" They may get a
bit better economy but their overall usefulness is lacking compared to
their larger counterparts.

Obviously, I'm not a slave to fashion and never was, but I'd take an
early 2000's Dodge diesel or a 7.3 Ford power-stroke over any new
models of the smaller v-6's offered by almost anyone.

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:12:35 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

On Jan 4, 5:15*am, Harryk wrote:
On 1/3/11 11:49 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

If I didn't pull a trailer which required something on the bigger side, I'd go
for a Tacoma like the one I showed Harry, with the V6.

Something like this: http://tinyurl.com/366njfn

On 1/5/11 10:47 AM, John H wrote:
On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:12:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 4, 5:15 am, wrote:
On 1/3/11 11:49 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

I don't "get" those CarMax prices. For a few thousand more than that
Toyota truck at the CarMax price, I can buy a brand new one equipped
about the same. $23,600 for a three year old small truck with nearly
30,000 miles? Why? Pretty close to the same little truck, 4x4 *retail*
is under $30,000 before haggling discount, probably about $27,500 actual
price. Brand new.

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

On Jan 4, 5:15 am, wrote:
On 1/3/11 11:49 PM, Tim wrote:

[...]

I don't understand the allure of CarMax. Everything is over priced and
the perceived quality is not there. And, if the salesdroid insists on
going on the test drive then he had better be prepared to change his
underwear. A Honda salesdroid was extolling the virtues of their 4 wheel
steering in the late 80's Prelude. Guy nearly had a heart attack when I
took a 90* turn at 45 miles an hour and commented that it wasn't that
good.

CarMax is no better than any other used car dealer around. When I was
shopping for a car I told the salesman at CarMax that I wanted my
mechanic to look over the vehicle before I purchased it. The CarMax
salesman said that I could purchase the car and then have my mechanic
look at the car and if I didn't like the vehicle I had 3 or 5 days to
bring it back and roll-back the entire transaction. I laughed at the
salesman, turned and walked away.

Trucks Vic Smith General 32 April 19th 08 02:52 AM
Those %^%$% Ford F series trucks Don White General 1 March 7th 08 06:33 AM
Mexican Trucks in the USA? Sammy[_2_] ASA 2 September 18th 07 12:10 AM
Towing Specs for Used Trucks? Harry Krause General 29 March 12th 04 12:05 PM
old trucks and old boats Parallax Cruising 0 October 31st 03 07:12 PM