Default Not one boating post since midnight

"Tim" wrote in message ...
On Dec 9, 10:56 am, "Paul@BYC" wrote:
Apparently, there have been a fairly large number of posts since
midnight, but I didn't come across any that were pleasure boat/sport
fishing related. That's really too bad.

Well, post something.

He's a bit shy. Perhaps he's afraid Harry might critique his writing.

--
Ziggy®
jps jps is offline

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 08:13:09 -0500, "Paul@BYC"
wrote:

On 12/10/2010 6:26 AM, HarryK wrote:
On 12/9/10 10:16 PM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 16:37:45 -0500,
wrote:

My plan is to visit some of
the larger boat yards and see what they are using locally. Beyond that,
any recommendations?

There are plenty of good bottom paints offered in black. I've been
using Micron Ultra with fairly good results considering that the boat
is usually in semi tropical water 12 months of the year. We typically
go 2 full years before repainting although it clearly is starting to
lose some effectiveness towards the end. It didn't seem to work that
well in the Caribbean however. We had types of fouling that I'd
never seen before and it grew incredibly quickly.

I'd ask around with some of your local boat yard managers. They
usually have a pretty good idea what works well in your area. In any
case you'll probably want to have a diver clean the bottom every month
or two. It makes a big difference in speed and fuel burn, easily
paying for itself.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|296162|11000|311496|368288|586729&id=73825 7

Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the Micron. I like this line in
the description:

"This includes warmer waters with greater land runoff and slime-causing
algae."

I don't know if we have "warmer waters," but we sure have the runoff and
algae.

I use Petit Horizon in black. It is an ablative bottom coat and seems to
work pretty well. I don't know why I started using it, though. Probably
because some yard manager recommended it. Maybe they had a 500-gallon
barrel of it on hand? :)

Best advice has already been given, and that is to visit some boatyards
and ask questions. Bottom paint is not cheap.

Unless you're comparing it to the labor cost, then it's pretty
reasonable.

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 07:55:28 -0800, jps wrote:

Best advice has already been given, and that is to visit some boatyards
and ask questions. Bottom paint is not cheap.

Unless you're comparing it to the labor cost, then it's pretty
reasonable.

That's exactly right. There are very few boat yards that will allow
you to do your own bottom painting these days because of environmental
regs. When the yard is doing the work, paint is the cheapest part of
the job.

jps jps is offline

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:21:20 -0500, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 07:55:28 -0800, jps wrote:

Best advice has already been given, and that is to visit some boatyards
and ask questions. Bottom paint is not cheap.

Unless you're comparing it to the labor cost, then it's pretty
reasonable.

That's exactly right. There are very few boat yards that will allow
you to do your own bottom painting these days because of environmental
regs. When the yard is doing the work, paint is the cheapest part of
the job.

And certainly not worth scrimping on, considering the labor cost and
hassle of getting a larger vessel out and back in the water.

Buy the best damned paint money will buy!

On 12/10/2010 11:21 AM, Wayne.B wrote:
On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 07:55:28 -0800, wrote:

Best advice has already been given, and that is to visit some boatyards
and ask questions. Bottom paint is not cheap.

Unless you're comparing it to the labor cost, then it's pretty
reasonable.

That's exactly right. There are very few boat yards that will allow
you to do your own bottom painting these days because of environmental
regs. When the yard is doing the work, paint is the cheapest part of
the job.

Absolutely correct.

Incidentally, I appreciate your efforts to keep this newsgroup at least
semi on track, but it looks as if there's yet another ID spoofer who has
gone active, and there's nothing that can be done about it. I really
don't have the time to spend more than a few minutes a day "here," and
that means I don't have the time to shovel through the posts of the
ever-changing fake IDerss, the ID spoofers, and the just plain nasties.
The only thing being accomplished is hastening the demise of rec.boats.
Maybe that is their goal.

wrote:

[...]

After reading your post, I immediately began searching Google for info on bottom
paints. Most folks said, "Let the professionals do it." That made good sense.
But the post that seemed to make the most sense, in response to the question,
"What kind of paint should I use on my hull?"

The answer, "Waterproof."

Makes sense to me.

wrote:

[...]

Gee, I wonder how well "waterproof" anti-fouling bottom paint ablates.
Probably as well as WD-40 rust and corrosion proofs the inside of an
engine, eh?

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

Quite well, actually. In the case of WD-40, if you coat everything it
will indeed corrosion proof something. I know you're a liberal arts
major so you should know this, but in order for something to corrode,
there has to be an electrolyte, water or moist air. etc. Take that away,
as with Water Displacement #40 and guess what?

On 12/10/2010 11:47 AM, Paul@BYC wrote:
[...]

Hell, Paul, I trashed rec.boats years ago.

wrote:

[...]

Are you on the rag, or what?

Is humor just too much for you?

No need to reply, Harry.

Boating post! Bill McKee General 10 October 23rd 09 02:42 AM
A boating post!!! Tom Francis - SWSports General 4 December 12th 08 01:12 PM
boating post CalifBill General 16 December 2nd 08 02:59 PM
Boating post. Calif Bill General 0 August 28th 07 06:50 AM
If you post non boating Florida Keyz General 15 June 28th 04 03:44 AM