Default Sail Boat and Crew Member Lost to Big Seas in the Bahamas

Scary stuff. They ended their voyage going up on the shore in one of
the least hospitable parts of the Abacos. They were on their way
south from the southern Chesapeake to the Caribbean and diverted to
the Bahamas for reasons that are not clear. Poor choice, if they had
a choice.

http://coconuttelegraph.net/forums/a...d=128976104 1

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/69910-sinking-rule-62-a.html
mmc mmc is offline

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

Scary stuff. They ended their voyage going up on the shore in one of
the least hospitable parts of the Abacos. They were on their way
south from the southern Chesapeake to the Caribbean and diverted to
the Bahamas for reasons that are not clear. Poor choice, if they had
a choice.

http://coconuttelegraph.net/forums/a...d=128976104 1

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/69910-sinking-rule-62-a.html

-----------
I was listening to 16 last Sunday when we had the pontoon out in the Banana
River. CG reported a boat turtled off of Miami at around 2:30 and within an
hour and a half, another wrong side up off of Melbourne Beach and a 30'+
Contender 26 miles off of Cape Canaveral "taking on water".
All during a small craft advisory......

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:20:04 -0500, "MMC" wrote:

I was listening to 16 last Sunday when we had the pontoon out in the Banana
River. CG reported a boat turtled off of Miami at around 2:30 and within an
hour and a half, another wrong side up off of Melbourne Beach and a 30'+
Contender 26 miles off of Cape Canaveral "taking on water".
All during a small craft advisory......

Things get pretty gnarly out in the Gulf Stream with a strong
northerly wind. We won't do that in our trawler let alone a small
open boat.

mmc mmc is offline

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:20:04 -0500, "MMC" wrote:

I was listening to 16 last Sunday when we had the pontoon out in the Banana
River. CG reported a boat turtled off of Miami at around 2:30 and within an
hour and a half, another wrong side up off of Melbourne Beach and a 30'+
Contender 26 miles off of Cape Canaveral "taking on water".
All during a small craft advisory......

Things get pretty gnarly out in the Gulf Stream with a strong
northerly wind. We won't do that in our trawler let alone a small
open boat.
--------
Yep, North wind was sending up to 10 footers earlier in the week and on
Sunday I think it was 4-6.
That's not comfortable, fun or particularly safe in a small boat. It's
supposed to be about "pleasure" right?

Junior Member

Hi,
Im a newbie to sailing and this forum, but couldn't see anywhere for newbies to post.
My dad has booked me in for a sailing course at the end of January, and the course advises that I get sailing gloves and sailing boots. Do any of you have recommendations for boots/gloves? (bear in mind I dont want to spend a fortune in case I dont get on with the sailing course).

mmc mmc is offline

"Diya" wrote in message news

Hi,
Im a newbie to sailing and this forum, but couldn't see anywhere for
newbies to post.
My dad has booked me in for a sailing course at the end of January, and
the course advises that I get sailing gloves and sailing boots. Do any
of you have recommendations for boots/gloves? (bear in mind I dont want
to spend a fortune in case I dont get on with the sailing course).

------
Might try the rec.boats.cruising NG.

--
Diya