Ed

Default Bahamas Relief Flotilla leaving as soon as the seas subside

Fellow cruisers,

Before Jeanne, we were collecting food, water and other supplies to help
the people of West End Bahamas. They suffered over 50% loss of housing
on that tip of the island due to hurricane Frances and were not expected
to have water or power for another month or more. We were scheduled to
leave yesterday with 4 boats and about 10,000 pounds of supplies. Due to
hurricane Jeanne, we had to delay our trip and now the need is even more
severe. One Flotilla did get out a week ago with quite a bit of food
and water but that is running out fast. Although we have not had contact
with them tonite (Saturday night) we are watching the eye of this new
storm go just north of them and expect them to have Cat 2 force winds
cross the tip of the island.

So why this email:

The need is much larger than we can handle. We need additional supplies,
boats and money to expand this effort.

If you are within driving distance from SFlorida we need your left over
hurricane supplies (We have drop off locations in WPB, Boca, FLL and Miami)

Water, Canned food, drinks, fans, tarps, ropes, towels, blow-up beds,
linens, pillows; flashlights, batteries, bug spray, etc.

If you have a boat and crew capable of making a trip to West end or
Abaco, we can help you organize a run, or you may be able to join ours
(We have the contacts for customs, immigration, supplies, local contacts
etc) Note: there is no fuel available so an Abaco run will require a
trawler or sailboat (mine would be a one-way trip....)

If you would like to help with monetery donations we can take those as
well. We are using 100% of the funds for additional supplies and we are
paying our Fuel and crew supplies out of our own pockets (along with
many of the supplies)

After the run, we will be posting pictures of the flotilla relief effort

If you want more information or are willing to help in any way, please
feel free to send me an email.

Time to pay back a little for years of fun in the islands

Thanks
Ed Strobel
"Lagniappe"
48 Ocean