Default For my next construction project...

On 10/1/10 2:40 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 13:28:05 -0400, Secular Humoresque
wrote:

On 10/1/10 1:17 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:21:07 -0400, Secular Humoresque
wrote:

I'm thinking of building a new deck, approximately 15' x 25',
approximately 9' above grade.

I have no concerns about structure; I know what to do about that.

I'm considering using the newer "composite lumber" (Trex is one brand
name) for decking, rails, balusters, stairs, et cetera...you know, the
stuff that shows. I'm wondering how well it resists weathering, rot,
checking, splitting, whether it needs any maintenance aside from a good
washing, et cetera.

The last time I built a deck, I used cedar over pressure treated
supports. The cedar was fine, but it did require a coat of transparent
stain every season.

Experiences with "trex" or other similar products?

Thanks.
We have a couple of docks here decked with trex. They are doing fine.
Just watch your spans. It is not as rigid as wood. Use wood for the
structural parts. The supplier will have a span chart for the decking.

I'll be using 2x12's on 12" centers for the joists. Deck will support a
45 PSF live load. I'll be using Lowe's "Top Choice Structural Treated"
lumber for structure.

I would go to a marine contractor and get real PT at .80 CCA and not
the green washed ACQ they sell at HD/Lowes. (just don't let your kids
eat it)
Also note that ACQ requires hot dipped galvanized or stainless
hardware.

There's an idea... already planned on using stainless.

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals

On 10/1/10 3:26 PM, Secular Humoresque wrote:
On 10/1/10 2:40 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 13:28:05 -0400, Secular Humoresque
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Engineer's stress analysis on structure per proposed plan:

Stress Analysis:
Level 1
Component PSF
Joist Deflection 472
Joist Bending 82
Joist Shear 168
Joist Compression 180
Beam Deflection 70
Beam Bending 70
Beam Shear 55
Bolt Shear 69
Post Stability 104

"Harry®" wrote in message

It's the product of choice if you aren't concerned by the lack of
appearance of real wood. *It wood look good* with your new French door.

The wood is for Donny to jump on. Snicker!
Harry
"The 'C' students run the world."

Say what??
"It wood look good"???

"Secular Humoresque" wrote in message
m...

There are several trex colors. I like the "saddle" color. The ID spoofing
"Harry" likes to knock the projects/possessions of others but of course he
never brings up his, or photos of his.

Saddle this, SpooferBoy!

On 10/1/10 3:57 PM, YukonBound wrote:

"Harry®" wrote in message

It's the product of choice if you aren't concerned by the lack of
appearance of real wood. *It wood look good* with your new French door.

The wood is for Donny to jump on. Snicker!
Harry
"The 'C' students run the world."

Say what??
"It wood look good"???

The ID Spoofing Harry's wife hasn't seen real wood for 20 years.

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals

"Secular Humoresque" wrote in message m...
On 10/1/10 2:45 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 1 Oct 2010 13:55:54 -0400,
wrote:

It's the product of choice if you aren't concerned by the lack of appearance of real wood. It wood look good with your new French door.

We just got a proposal to replace our remaining wood dock and they are
selling us a brown, wood look trex type product. It is "redwood"
color. There is also a tan "natural pine" color.

There are several trex colors. I like the "saddle" color. The ID
spoofing "Harry" likes to knock the projects/possessions of others but
of course he never brings up his, or photos of his.

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals

I'm not knocking your project. I'm not knocking Trex. It's just that it looks out of place at some quality homes. Some people appreciate the look of nice wood. Unfortunately it requires maintenance; something a lazy slug like you wouldn't be willing to do.
I believe the only possession of yours that I knocked was your boat and how you outfitted it. The boat is a slab sided beast, much like the Bayliner of Skip's you belittled. The steering station is horrible, but maybe that wasn't your doing. That arrangement belongs on a bus, not a boat. The surrey top? Well that's just silly looking. Did you put the pom poms on it? Why in the world do you have such a deep cutout on the transom? I would have thought you could have opted for an engine with a longer leg instead. And then the name of the boat, That's so queer.
Had it been someone else's boat, I would have held my comments back.

Cheers,
Harry
"The 'C' students run the world."