Default For my next construction project...

I'm thinking of building a new deck, approximately 15' x 25',
approximately 9' above grade.

I have no concerns about structure; I know what to do about that.

I'm considering using the newer "composite lumber" (Trex is one brand
name) for decking, rails, balusters, stairs, et cetera...you know, the
stuff that shows. I'm wondering how well it resists weathering, rot,
checking, splitting, whether it needs any maintenance aside from a good
washing, et cetera.

The last time I built a deck, I used cedar over pressure treated
supports. The cedar was fine, but it did require a coat of transparent
stain every season.

Experiences with "trex" or other similar products?

Thanks.

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals

"Secular Humoresque" wrote in message
news
I'm thinking of building a new deck, approximately 15' x 25',
approximately 9' above grade.

I have no concerns about structure; I know what to do about that.

I'm considering using the newer "composite lumber" (Trex is one brand
name) for decking, rails, balusters, stairs, et cetera...you know, the
stuff that shows. I'm wondering how well it resists weathering, rot,
checking, splitting, whether it needs any maintenance aside from a good
washing, et cetera.

The last time I built a deck, I used cedar over pressure treated supports.
The cedar was fine, but it did require a coat of transparent stain every
season.

Experiences with "trex" or other similar products?

Thanks.

--
Republicans are the Party of No:
No Leaders / No Ideas / No Morals

My dad used one of those (forget the brand). The results are pretty good as
far as weathering/looks goes (a bit too much on the subdued pink color I
thought, but...), but they tend to expand/contract a lot and can sometimes
pop out of the brackets at the end of long planks. So, his advice to me (I
was considering a deck upgrade, but went with concrete instead) was to try
and use shorter vs. longer sections.

"Secular Humoresque" wrote in message
news
I'm thinking of building a new deck, approximately 15' x 25',
approximately 9' above grade.

I have no concerns about structure; I know what to do about that.

I'm considering using the newer "composite lumber" (Trex is one brand
name) for decking, rails, balusters, stairs, et cetera...you know, the
stuff that shows. I'm wondering how well it resists weathering, rot,
checking, splitting, whether it needs any maintenance aside from a good
washing, et cetera.

The last time I built a deck, I used cedar over pressure treated supports.
The cedar was fine, but it did require a coat of transparent stain every
season.

Experiences with "trex" or other similar products?

Thanks.

The previous owners of the house next to mine used these people about 8
years ago.
http://novascotia.archadeck.com/local/AboutUs.html
The vinyl deck may have faded a bit but is holding up better than my treated
wood deck.
I have to apply another coat of semi-transparent oil based deck stain this
month.

[...]

It's the product of choice if you aren't concerned by the lack of appearance of real wood. It wood look good with your new French door.

The wood is for Donny to jump on. Snicker!
Harry
"The 'C' students run the world."

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 13:28:05 -0400, Secular Humoresque
wrote:

On 10/1/10 1:17 PM,
wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 12:21:07 -0400, Secular Humoresque
wrote:

I'm thinking of building a new deck, approximately 15' x 25',
approximately 9' above grade.

I have no concerns about structure; I know what to do about that.

I'm considering using the newer "composite lumber" (Trex is one brand
name) for decking, rails, balusters, stairs, et cetera...you know, the
stuff that shows. I'm wondering how well it resists weathering, rot,
checking, splitting, whether it needs any maintenance aside from a good
washing, et cetera.

The last time I built a deck, I used cedar over pressure treated
supports. The cedar was fine, but it did require a coat of transparent
stain every season.

Experiences with "trex" or other similar products?

Thanks.
We have a couple of docks here decked with trex. They are doing fine.
Just watch your spans. It is not as rigid as wood. Use wood for the
structural parts. The supplier will have a span chart for the decking.

I'll be using 2x12's on 12" centers for the joists. Deck will support a
45 PSF live load. I'll be using Lowe's "Top Choice Structural Treated"
lumber for structure.

I would go to a marine contractor and get real PT at .80 CCA and not
the green washed ACQ they sell at HD/Lowes. (just don't let your kids
eat it)
Also note that ACQ requires hot dipped galvanized or stainless
hardware.

Let the spoofer go, he knows EVERYTHING!

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 13:28:05 -0400, Secular Humoresque
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Let the spoofer go at it. 45 PSF.........Haaahaa!!!!