Default Building small sailboats II

Please keep on topic.

The MiniCups were intended to be small cheap sailboats anybody could
build. However, they were too heavy due to the use of 1/4" (I used
3/16) ply and were not intended to be glassed so they did not last
long. I want a modern version using modern methods yielding a
considerably lighter boat that lasts longer. I also made major
improvements on the sail and spars so that problem is solved.
So, stitch and glue maybe with epoxy saturation of the wood and
covered with 4 oz glass? I am worried this might result in a heavier
boat because the weight of the fillets relative to the boat size may
be too much.
Is it worth trying to incorporate more high tech stuff like Corecell
or similar foam building materials?

In article 875e9b9e-c24e-490b-85db-213b15323ce1
@i13g2000yqd.googlegroups.com, says...

Please keep on topic.

The MiniCups were intended to be small cheap sailboats anybody could
build. However, they were too heavy due to the use of 1/4" (I used
3/16) ply and were not intended to be glassed so they did not last
long. I want a modern version using modern methods yielding a
considerably lighter boat that lasts longer. I also made major
improvements on the sail and spars so that problem is solved.
So, stitch and glue maybe with epoxy saturation of the wood and
covered with 4 oz glass? I am worried this might result in a heavier
boat because the weight of the fillets relative to the boat size may
be too much.
Is it worth trying to incorporate more high tech stuff like Corecell
or similar foam building materials?

I say no. No it's not... If you insist on using sheathing on a boat that
was not designed to be sheathed (iirc), at least go light and leave the
inside of the hull primed and painted so moisture that gets in, and it
will, can vape out. I would also use 4 oz tightweave, available from
Larry at Raka.com in Flordia. Very light. Remember, the boat is not
trying to use the glass as a structural component, if you put it on the
bottom and say 4 inches up the sides (like my Brockway), it would serve
mostly as a skuff guard. Folks try to build hull integerity with the
glass, it should be done with the angles and frame.

Oh, and I doubt the boat was too heavy as you noted, remember you added
a lot to the weight of the origional designs, and probably went real
heavy with the glass and adhesives, fasteners, scantlings, etc which is
a mistake many first time builders make.. Trust the designer, or get
another plan...

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - We race for cheese!

"Secular Humanist" wrote in message
Why bother when you can buy yourself a brand-new sound little sailboat
with a proven track record and suppliers of off-the-shelf parts?

http://www.sunfishdirect.com/new_sunfish/

You seem to enjoy "stuff" that is in a constant state of disrepair.
I don't.

You answered your own question.

--
I'm the real Harry, and I post from a Mac, as virtually everyone knows.
If a post is attributed to me, and it isn't from a Mac, it's from an ID

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:00:50 -0700 (PDT), Frogwatch
wrote:

Please keep on topic.

The MiniCups were intended to be small cheap sailboats anybody could
build. However, they were too heavy due to the use of 1/4" (I used
3/16) ply and were not intended to be glassed so they did not last
long. I want a modern version using modern methods yielding a
considerably lighter boat that lasts longer. I also made major
improvements on the sail and spars so that problem is solved.
So, stitch and glue maybe with epoxy saturation of the wood and
covered with 4 oz glass? I am worried this might result in a heavier
boat because the weight of the fillets relative to the boat size may
be too much.
Is it worth trying to incorporate more high tech stuff like Corecell
or similar foam building materials?

The lightest/strongest traditional construction has always been cold
molded wood. Thin layers of wood veneer are laminated around a form
with successive layers crossing at an angle to each other, essentially
creating your own plywood. Using modern waterproof glues like epoxy,
the result is not only very light but quite durable. When I was racing
sailboats on Long Island Sound back in the 80's and 90's, one of my
fastest competitors was a cold molded boat from the late 60's/early
70's. I believe it is still racing today. 3 layers of 1/16th Okume
would create an exceptionally strong hull and no fiberglass would be
necessary except perhaps to reinforce areas of high stress.

Modern hi tech construction is to create a composite hull with thin
skins of carbon/glass fiber over a core of closed cell foam, usually
vacuum bagged to minimize the amount of epoxy required, and to ensure
tight bonding of the layers.

Either way, you could use one of your old boats as the construction
form for a new one.

I'd also suggest asking the same question in rec.boats.building

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=Modern+Boat+Building%3A+M aterials+and+Methods+&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi= &aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=